Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 05:14 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
IMHO, the only way to resolve the "Wet-Sider's" power over the "Dry-Siders regarding issues within the State is to come up with an "electoral college" system within each of the counties, giving them semi-equal power on issues involving the State. Yes, we "Wet-Siders" have the numbers when it comes to voting on issues effecting the entire State and let's be honest, our views are very different than those on the dry side. I personally don't think it's fair that most, if not all of the power, is on the wet side of the State.

With that said, I'm not taking a liberal verse conservative stance since that doesn't serve any good for anybody... Simply look at the state that our country is now in... An "us" verse "them" status and both sides are equally guilty of allowing this to happen... Period.

I wouldn't support splitting the State into West Washington and East Washington... To me that's pretty stupid and not cost effective at all. Several other States want to split into two halves like Colorado and California... California also being very different in which they want to become their own country... Good luck on that one ever happening!! The answer to all our problems is being honest with ourselves and coming up with real solutions, not fantasies, to make things work again.

The sad thing is that this will never happen since common sense isn't too common anymore and now we, as a people, will have to learn things the hard way... IMHO.

...I just hope that I'm seriously wrong on this issue!!
You want to give MORE power to the Eastside when we already give them our tax dollars? You want to create the tyranny of the minority? I completely disagree. I live in King County so I'm one of the "givers".

Last edited by Seacove; 12-15-2016 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 07:39 PM

4,904 posts, read 2,056,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You want to give MORE power to the Eastside when we already give them our tax dollars? You want to create the tyranny of the minority? I completely disagree. I live in King County so I'm one of the "givers".
I respect your right to disagree. That's what makes America great!!

I don't want to give the Eastside MORE power, but equal power on decisions that effect them as well. The last time I checked, "WE" all are Washingtonians... If that should be a tyrannical thought, so be it, I'm cool with it.

Btw, I also live in King Country, born and raised, as well as a property owner who is taxed out of the yang yang. I'm also retired military, Army, Combat Arms and I've seen with my own eyes what real tyranny has done in this world.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:04 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Again, the State of Washington thrives due to both sides of the mountains. Any split would be a disadvantage to both sides. This divide is stupid, and doesn't serve anyone. Get over it, Eastern Washington. You don't know how good you have it. And BTW, I live east of the Cascades.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I respect your right to disagree. That's what makes America great!!

I don't want to give the Eastside MORE power, but equal power on decisions that effect them as well. The last time I checked, "WE" all are Washingtonians... If that should be a tyrannical thought, so be it, I'm cool with it.

Btw, I also live in King Country, born and raised, as well as a property owner who is taxed out of the yang yang. I'm also retired military, Army, Combat Arms and I've seen with my own eyes what real tyranny has done in this world.
Giving a smaller population equal power to the larger population but taxing the larger population based on population size, is not equal.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:28 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Yes, King County generates surplus funds to the state government.

What does that have to do with the split between eastern and western Washington??

Pierce and Clark counties are welfare counties just like Spokane. Snohomish was a push in 2013 and with the Boeing tax breaks is probably a welfare county in 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
When you add up ALL the state spending including the transportation taxes and spending it is a push. Less than one percent difference between eastern Washington and western Washington. AND that includes KING county.
King County contributes 42.09% of ALL state revenues. The next biggest contributors are Snohomish County (9.73%) and Pierce County (9.73%), or 61.55% from all three central Puget Sound counties.

Clark County is a special case in that Portland is right across the bridge: 2) Washington residents can easily cross the bridge to avoid paying sales tax, and 2) Oregon residents don't have to pay Washington sales taxes on purchases in Washington. If using Method 2, however:

Clark County gives $.740B (4.52%) and gets $.724B (4.42%), so only about a $16M deficit.

Pierce County on the other hand has a large military population, which does much of its shopping on-base, where state sales taxes are not collected.

In Table 1:

1. 6 out of 39 counties receive less than they pay. 4 of those 6 are in western Washington.

2. 14 out of 39 counties receive 1.5 times or more than they pay. 10 of those 14 are in eastern Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area