Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 11:52 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
33rd is a much nicer location than 32nd. 32nd is a main road with a bus route on it and a fast street for emergency vehicles to travel on (read - lots of sirens!). 33rd is a quiet and short road. Not really a road traveled to get somewhere, so fewer cars. Remember he wants his kids to play in the road.

OP, I live in Sunset Hill and won't let my 4th and 5th graders ride their bikes without me. Cars move fast and the intersections are mostly uncontrolled and visibility isn't great with so many cars parked on the road. Sidewalks are great, but not for bike riding. Other than that, it's a lovely neighborhood.

Playing in the streets is really more for suburban living and you can't get to Amazon in 30 minutes from any suburb.
The Magnolia one came up in my Redfin feed today. It's cute and nice neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 10:24 AM

731 posts, read 935,847 times
Yes, Magnolia has a nice suburban feel very close to downtown. In fact, for some, it's too quiet. It would be a great idea to go for that, but $800K might be a little low for a good house there. If you can find it, though, I would recommend it.

I don't think Magnolia has a middle school (bus to Queen Anne for that) or a high school (bus to Ballard for that - Queen Anne doesn't have one either).

Ballard and Sunset Hill (west Ballard) have a lot more going on and more school choices. However, many of the houses and yards are smaller and the roads are busier. That's urban life, though, right?!

Old 01-21-2017, 10:27 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
OK, I was thinking more along the lines of this.. (not Texas-sized, but bigger than it looks from the front, a bedroom for everyone, excellent location, and might go for under $800K)

3839 33rd Ave W, Seattle, WA 98199 | MLS #1067323 | Zillow
I saw this one, too, but the real estate agents here say it could get bid up to beyond the OP's price limit. We need to look for places that are 700K or below, probably.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Yes, Magnolia has a nice suburban feel very close to downtown. In fact, for some, it's too quiet. It would be a great idea to go for that, but $800K might be a little low for a good house there. If you can find it, though, I would recommend it.

I don't think Magnolia has a middle school (bus to Queen Anne for that) or a high school (bus to Ballard for that - Queen Anne doesn't have one either).

Ballard and Sunset Hill (west Ballard) have a lot more going on and more school choices. However, many of the houses and yards are smaller and the roads are busier. That's urban life, though, right?!
Magnolia feeds to McClure in Queen Anne. There is also a k-8 school in Magnolia called Catharine Blaine. I'm not sure on Ballard HS though as Lincoln HS will be opening 2018-19 and I believe Queen Anne will be assigned there. I am assuming Magnolia will as well as they are usually kept together. There is also the prospect of HCC-stand alone school for highly capable students. It is test in starting in 1st grade. The school assignment would be different in that case. If OP moves here in summer kids can test in over the summer. We have had a positive experience in that regard with our older student.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:39 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
OK, I was thinking more along the lines of this.. (not Texas-sized, but bigger than it looks from the front, a bedroom for everyone, excellent location, and might go for under $800K)

3839 33rd Ave W, Seattle, WA 98199 | MLS #1067323 | Zillow
While the brick tudor I linked was also a three-bedroom, it was about twice the square footage, and has a separate "studio" that could be converted to a guest house or MIL.

Your linked property, while a very good value, is only one of two 3bds+ within the OP's budget located in west Magnolia, the other being a duplex/townhouse, and thus, I suspect, is priced in expectation of sparking a bidding war.

Homes in east Magnolia are priced a bit lower, due to being subject to Interbay rail-yard noise, but are still rare within the OP's budget. For instance:

2857 23rd Ave W, Seattle, WA 98199 | MLS #1069267 | Zillow

In general, you're looking at a minimum budget of $950,000-1,000,000 to get a selection. For instance, this one is interesting:

4512 W Cramer St, Seattle, WA 98199 | Zillow

Old 01-28-2017, 12:15 AM

One more just listed in my Facebook group:

3026 35th Ave W Seattle WA 98199 | MLS# 1067089 | Windermere Real Estate

Old 01-28-2017, 07:45 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I find it interesting that some people assume that the parents who send their kids to private schools are "limousine liberals". It's usually conservative parents who don't want their kids in public schools. They want their kids to actually be literate, and to have good grammar and writing skills. You don't get those in public schools.
I am very liberal and shockingly enough I wanted my kids to be literate and have good writing and grammar skills and other skills as well . They went to private when they were younger and public when they were older . All have very interesting jobs, from an RN in the Navy, a Funeral Director for 3 homes owned by he same family, a junior exec for a large grocery chain, one Pharmacist , an actress who is finally getting a foothold and lastly my youngest teenager who is a musician and songwriter . Writes constantly CONSTANTLY and is at a public high school that was recently recognized by USA today as one of the best- state and nation wide.

I am nowhere near a limousine liberal . I barely have enough for my last apt here anymore( yes I am still here - husband still laid off skilled worker and at 54 still looking ) any further out and I'll be TOO farther out. This doesn't mean I don't want my kids to have a better life than myself ( although mines been pretty exciting !!)

I am originally from Texas also though have lived all over the world due to my husband and his job ( husband is European) and we both loved Austin so much - we lived in Port Aransas - but still have loads of friends in Austin . My friends are telling me it's gotten very expensive and has changed alot . Very crowded.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:16 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
So, our family made the decision to send our daughter to private school for a different reason. We feel like public schools have become way too "test focused". We wanted our kid to have a more well rounded education, one where the importance of art, music and other creative disciplines weren't diminished in the obsessive search for "good test scores". We aren't wealthy, I work hard to pay for private school. I have a Subaru and yes we are liberal. So I guess I'm a "suspicious of testing culture, Subaru, classic education, liberal"

Old 01-28-2017, 11:57 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
So, our family made the decision to send our daughter to private school for a different reason. We feel like public schools have become way too "test focused". We wanted our kid to have a more well rounded education, one where the importance of art, music and other creative disciplines weren't diminished in the obsessive search for "good test scores". We aren't wealthy, I work hard to pay for private school. I have a Subaru and yes we are liberal. So I guess I'm a "suspicious of testing culture, Subaru, classic education, liberal"
It really depends on the private school. Maybe now that universities are requiring more well-rounded students, private schools have stepped up their arts coverage, but when I went to private school, none of them could afford arts instruction, or had only extremely minimal art & music, that weren't serious courses. Back in those days, public schools were where people went for a curriculum that included the arts. How times change, eh?

Old 01-28-2017, 12:14 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Agreed Ruth, some "prep" schools are very testing focused. There are some great options that really honor the arts, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area