Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:42 AM

26 posts, read 36,192 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am sure this is a very common question, but I would like some specific suggestions on a neighborhood or community to live.

Here is our situation: We plan to move to Seattle in the next 2 years (Timing is flexible, kids are still very little). I know the housing market is super hot right now, so we are just researching right now. We would like to buy during a somewhat slower time (maybe one of the winters?) Our budget right now is 1M-ish, with some wiggle room.

We currently live in las vegas, and more and more I believe it is not a good place to raise my family. My husband and I are both from Orange County in SoCal, my husband has his own business (SEO/advertising) and I am a CPA. He is white and I am Asian. We have toddler twins. We are looking for a community with great schools (from my research, that would be Mercer, Sammamish, Redmond or part of bellevue isd?), strong community, and safe enough we can let our children play outside on their own when they are a little older. (Both my husband and i had a lot of outside free play with neighborhood kids when we were growing up, it was such a big part of my childhood I would love to have my kids to have it too) We also prefer a place that's close to a library, parks and playgrounds, all the usual family stuff. I love Asian food, so maybe Mercer island is just too isolating? Commute is not a huge issue given our current situation, my husband can work from home or get another office space (he has an office now with a few employees) and I can find a job easily given my professional experience, or work for myself after we move. I would prefer to get a job with a tech company after we move (I have tax and financial reporting experience in public accounting and fortune 500 tech companies), but that's not a necessity. We have a very simple lifestyle, hanging out with our kids in all our free time right now, lol.

I would love to hear some specific neighborhood suggestions, the more specific the better (particular school or particular streets, anything). I am grateful to have the luxury to choose my children's hometown, I want to research it well before we move. (We are also considering Westlake Austin and Sugarland Houston, but I personally like Seattle way more).

Last edited by mmgoodies; 05-03-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 12:56 PM

128 posts, read 147,961 times
What exactly draws you to Seattle? I'm sure you know climate wise it is nothing like Vegas or SoCal. How long do you plan to live in the area once you move? Reason is if your toddlers are still pretty young, public school isn't a concern until several years later. Even then, if you are budgeting 1Mish, you can easily get a 7-800k home and have the extra $ for a private school if you'd prefer.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
The cities you already mentioned, plus Kirkland and Issaquah all have great schools and areas where kids play outside. We are in Sammamish and every afternoon there are 12-20 kids playing in the street across from us (dead end court). Mercer Island has very little shopping or restaurants, but is a short 10 minute drive to the best Asian food, in Seattle's International District (longer at commute time). Bellevue has some Asian restaurants, fewer in Redmond and Kirkland and Issaquah, only one in Sammamish.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:24 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,463,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgoodies View Post
We are looking for a community with great schools (from my research, that would be Mercer, Sammamish, Redmond or part of bellevue isd?), strong community, and safe enough we can let our children play outside on their own when they are a little older. (Both my husband and i had a lot of outside free play with neighborhood kids when we were growing up, it was such a big part of my childhood I would love to have my kids to have it too) We also prefer a place that's close to a library, parks and playgrounds, all the usual family stuff. I love Asian food, so maybe Mercer island is just too isolating? Commute is not a huge issue given our current situation, my husband can work from home or get another office space (he has an office now with a few employees) and I can find a job easily given my professional experience, or work for myself after we move. I would prefer to get a job with a tech company after we move (I have tax and financial reporting experience in public accounting and fortune 500 tech companies), but that's not a necessity. We have a very simple lifestyle, hanging out with our kids in all our free time right now, lol.

I would love to hear some specific neighborhood suggestions, the more specific the better (particular school or particular streets, anything). I am grateful to have the luxury to choose my children's hometown, I want to research it well before we move. (We are also considering Westlake Austin and Sugarland Houston, but I personally like Seattle way more).
What exactly is your price range? Also what proximity to downtown Seattle are you looking for? Eastside has great schools and a nice community, but also has a much higher price tag. There is lots of great communities in the puget sound area with decent schools. I wouldn't worry too much about "excellent" schools until they reach middle school or high school so that should be atleast 7 years out for you. South of Seattle has the best bang for you buck communities. Lots of beautiful homes with views of the mountains, Puget Sound, and Access to water. Federal Way has a huge Asian food scene including multiple Asian grocery stores (H-Mart, Etc). All the areas are close to the mountains for hiking and lots of beach and water access in the area. Northeast Tacoma is very safe and has beautiful homes with views of Puget Sound and Mountain Rainier. Its only 10-15 minutes from Downtown Tacoma which has been growing over the past few years. Commuting to Seattle though would be difficult from here. Burien, Des Moines, and Normandy Park give best proximity to the city while getting the benefit of lower home prices. Normandy park has some of the best views of the Puget Sound and Olympic Mountains in the entire region. I think main thing is figure out which is most important. Alot of great communities in the area South, East, and North of Seattle.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Vegas was great when we didn't have kids. We live in a 5000 sq ft house in a guard gated community now, but honestly I prefer smaller and more modest homes in a more educated and family friendly area now. A big house with 2 toddlers in a extremely transient and blue collar town is just not for us anymore. I miss a more cultured environment. I recently toured the best private schools in town and was pretty disappointed. Given our 1M budget for housing, we will still have the means to send my kids to private schools if it turns out that's what they need. Both of us went to public schools when we were growing up and had great experience, we both strongly prefer public schools in a well educated and somewhat high income area. Beautiful scenery is also another major plus now that we have kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrath View Post
What exactly draws you to Seattle? I'm sure you know climate wise it is nothing like Vegas or SoCal. How long do you plan to live in the area once you move? Reason is if your toddlers are still pretty young, public school isn't a concern until several years later. Even then, if you are budgeting 1Mish, you can easily get a 7-800k home and have the extra $ for a private school if you'd prefer.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:45 PM

Hi Thanks so much, I will definitely check these areas out. I am one of those moms that worries about even preschool, I think elementary school is definitely one of my main concerns for my search. Out budget is about 1M+, would like to stay close to 1M if all possible, but can go up as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevanXL View Post
What exactly is your price range? Also what proximity to downtown Seattle are you looking for? Eastside has great schools and a nice community, but also has a much higher price tag. There is lots of great communities in the puget sound area with decent schools. I wouldn't worry too much about "excellent" schools until they reach middle school or high school so that should be atleast 7 years out for you. South of Seattle has the best bang for you buck communities. Lots of beautiful homes with views of the mountains, Puget Sound, and Access to water. Federal Way has a huge Asian food scene including multiple Asian grocery stores (H-Mart, Etc). All the areas are close to the mountains for hiking and lots of beach and water access in the area. Northeast Tacoma is very safe and has beautiful homes with views of Puget Sound and Mountain Rainier. Its only 10-15 minutes from Downtown Tacoma which has been growing over the past few years. Commuting to Seattle though would be difficult from here. Burien, Des Moines, and Normandy Park give best proximity to the city while getting the benefit of lower home prices. Normandy park has some of the best views of the Puget Sound and Olympic Mountains in the entire region. I think main thing is figure out which is most important. Alot of great communities in the area South, East, and North of Seattle.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:01 PM

128 posts, read 147,961 times
Quote:
Vegas was great when we didn't have kids. We live in a 5000 sq ft house in a guard gated community now, but honestly I prefer smaller and more modest homes in a more educated and family friendly area now. A big house with 2 toddlers in a extremely transient and blue collar town is just not for us anymore. I miss a more cultured environment. I recently toured the best private schools in town and was pretty disappointed. Given our 1M budget for housing, we will still have the means to send my kids to private schools if it turns out that's what they need. Both of us went to public schools when we were growing up and had great experience, we both strongly prefer public schools in a well educated and somewhat high income area. Beautiful scenery is also another major plus now that we have kids.

My suggestion is Wedgewood/Ravenna for the west side, or Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond/Medina for the east side. Those areas all have a highly educated community and excellent schools. Wedgewood/Ravenna would get you closer to downtown/International District and the more famous sights of Seattle. As for access to ethic markets, all of those locations will be within driving distance to either the international district, a Ranch 99/H Mart/Uwajimaya, or equivalent. With your budget, a 2000-2500+ sqft house in those areas would be within reach.

Wedgewood/Ravenna will have older homes (50+ years old) that are not without their charms, however you will also find brand new construction in those areas that are a result of teardown an older home and putting a new one in it's place. Bellevue/Kirkland/Redmond/Medina are going to be mostly homes within the last 30 years or less. If that makes a difference.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Hi Thanks so much, I will definitely check these areas out. I am one of those moms that worries about even preschool, I think elementary school is definitely one of my main concerns for my search. Out budget is about 1M+, would like to stay close to 1M if all possible, but can go up as well.
Here are some examples of homes of the South Sound.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...65_rect/11_zm/

This one is Burien which is on the border of Seattle.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...75_rect/11_zm/

This is in Des Moines (But location is Federal Way School District). Gorgeous save community. Lots of beach access, half mile boardwalk nearby and one of the top Seafood restaurants in the region walking distance from your home.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...58_rect/12_zm/

This is in Northeast Tacoma with views of Mt. Rainier

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...97_rect/11_zm/

Also in Northeast Tacoma

Old 05-03-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Also, If you are looking at private schools, in Tacoma they have Charles Wright Academy. Excellent school. I had a few friends graduate from there and they loved it. It's K-12 so something to possibly look at. They send a bus to pick up kids throughout the community.

Charles Wright Academy, a Tacoma private school

Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
For very good schools and Asian food (restaurants and groceries): East Bellevue, Overlake area, etc. North Seattle and Shoreline have very good schools and Asian food (not as much of the latter as East Bellevue, however).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area