Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:21 PM

814 posts, read 670,735 times

Advertisements

Living in Burien at the moment with my family and are considering buying a house. We've contemplated buying here but the jet noise is a bit unbearable. Price range is $300-400k.

Here's a few things that factor into our move...

Schooling for our 3yo. We may home school depending on the area. So far it's going good

Trying to stay as close to my sisters family that lives in Bellevue.

3 bdrm minimum

Detached garage or shop for work studio (work from home). Not crucial but a plus.

If recommending a city please advise the area within the city.

thanks for any input guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 09:45 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,374,928 times
Affordable in King County? Only 27% of all homes in King County now sell for less than $500,000 Seattle leads nation in home-price growth for 10th straight month | The Seattle Times so you might find something, but it will take luck.

Maybe look further south, Auburn or Enumclaw or down in Pierce county, you're more likely to find something in your price range there. Maple Valley will be way out of your 300-400k range.
King County home prices grow $100,000 in a year for first time; West Bellevue jumps 41 percent | The Seattle Times

Old 08-30-2017, 09:51 PM

Thanks.. we've been watching the last 2 years and realize things are drying up. There are however places in the cities mentioned in the title, I'm not very familiar with some of them though.

Not ruling out Auburn or Kent but Enumclaw and south of there is a bit far out.

I grew up in Federal Way and was considering it but many of the friends I grew up with there said it's crime ridden now. Been away for almost 20 years in Northern Cal so a bit out of touch.

Old 08-30-2017, 11:50 PM

8,172 posts, read 8,312,713 times
Tough price point. Might be able to get something small in Maple Valley. Money would definitely go a little farther in Monroe. You might be able to get a condo in one of those other locations, though larger ones are rare. Good luck in your search.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Tough price point. Might be able to get something small in Maple Valley. Money would definitely go a little farther in Monroe. You might be able to get a condo in one of those other locations, though larger ones are rare. Good luck in your search.
Thank you.

There's quite a few homes in Renton and Burien at this price point. Are you against these areas or just the areas these prices exist in?

Old 08-31-2017, 07:37 AM

8,172 posts, read 8,312,713 times
Hey NorCal. Those areas are fine, keep in mind though that quite a few of the places you see get bid up from the listing price. Sometimes, to get a good idea, it's wise to do a search of what things have actually sold for in the last couple months..That price point you mentioned is super competitive so tends to generate bidding wars. Historic North Everett is another area that comes to mind, for under $400k you can get a nice home. Before the people start commenting about the negative aspects of Everett, let me tell you that it is very underrated and much better than it used to be.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 08-31-2017 at 07:57 AM..

Old 08-31-2017, 10:44 AM

368 posts, read 695,958 times
I'd vote for Renton, or staying East of I-5 if it's important being close to Bellevue.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Hey NorCal. Those areas are fine, keep in mind though that quite a few of the places you see get bid up from the listing price. Sometimes, to get a good idea, it's wise to do a search of what things have actually sold for in the last couple months..That price point you mentioned is super competitive so tends to generate bidding wars. Historic North Everett is another area that comes to mind, for under $400k you can get a nice home. Before the people start commenting about the negative aspects of Everett, let me tell you that it is very underrated and much better than it used to be.
FWIW I spoke to three different agents within these areas and all of them are reporting August as slow. Was surprised to here that, but they assured the next few months things pick up normally. I also asked about homes selling over ask and it sounded like most through the summer had multiple offers but not much over ask. Homes were selling inside of four weeks and closer to two. Maybe these agents aren't advertising this in hope of garnering business?

I was considering Everett for a little while but my niece said there's a big drug epidemic there. I have to take her word for it considering she was on heroin and used to drive up there to get it. Luckily she's 8 months sober now.

How about Lynnwood, Mill Valley, and those surrounding areas? Seems there's a descent amount of homes in this range?

Old 08-31-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
I'd vote for Renton, or staying East of I-5 if it's important being close to Bellevue.
Luckily I work from home so commuting during rush hour doesn't have to be taken into consideration.

Old 08-31-2017, 12:02 PM

Does anyone know much about NE Tacoma. Lot of house for the money as with Covington and areas south of there. Commuting I know is a nightmare but how are the communities in these areas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area