Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 04:34 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,200,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tothewolves1099 View Post
Food in terms of groceries or prepared food at restaurants?
Yeah both as said, I’ve noticed most grocery prices are only slightly less than on Oahu, but restaurants are certainly more expensive in Seattle than Oahu or LA by a pretty large margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 07:45 PM

638 posts, read 529,619 times
I prefer to know that eating out is not made convenient by the financial struggles of others so I have no problem with this. If I don’t have time to prepare food I can get a sandwich; if I want the luxury of a drive through service or a nice restaurant I am happy to pay.

I would be embarrassed to complain about the cost of keeping servants or slaves and I feel the same way about service I use outside the home. I think a lot of people in the Seattle area feel the same way. It’s sick to have a decent salary and then tell someone else,

“Your life’s work is not worth a living wage. You are too replaceable.”

Old 11-02-2017, 08:12 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
BurgerKing (Seattle-Bellevue) has the same pricing as in Oregon, at least for the stuff that I order.
Senior coffee is 50cents/2 quarters plus any sales tax.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
The mainstream (not fast food) restaurants are likely to be higher in Seattle than many other cities including the eastside, in part because of the higher minimum wage, but also the cost and shortage of available space. Several small restaurants/cafes have had to close recently like on 2nd near Stewart due to construction of high rise office/condo/apartment buildings. Those left can take advantage of less competition, but also will find their rent going up and having to raise prices. We eat out mostly on the eastside and I don't see this happening there.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:22 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
BurgerKing (Seattle-Bellevue) has the same pricing as in Oregon, at least for the stuff that I order.
Senior coffee is 50cents/2 quarters plus any sales tax.
I don't know why you're rolling your eyes for. I've seen a huge difference b/w Seattle area vs others.

When my sister came to visit me in TN, she was stunned to see that McDonald's still are doing the $2.99 Happy Meal, she had assumed that McDs phased that out. We also had stopped in Red Robin and that also was an eye opener for her as well-- she was grumbling about how ridiculous it was to eat out in Seattle for the amount you paid. It was the same when we went to a Nashville eatery, the plate she ordered that only cost her $9, she said would easily be 2.5 times more in the Seattle area. I've seen the same reaction with a Seattleite friend when we all went to Ohio, he was stunned too and ordered 3 separate meals in one sitting-- said that those 3 meals still came out much less than a dinner date back home.

I also noticed with grocery, for $50, I get more in TN than WA. And that's with TN sales tax on groceries (either full @ 9.75 or slightly less depending on what I buy). I can believe this article, especially when I hear my family and friends grumbling their money doesn't go too far here.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:30 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy950 View Post
Seattle’s more expensive than LA and San Diego per this list, that’s going to rustle some cheerleader jimmies in here
It's true for LA rentals because I am going with my youngest daughter when she goes to school there plus we normally go there alot anyway . This is probably when the lease is up next July and I have been seriously looking . Of course you have places where you KNOW it is going to be incredibly $$ but I was surprised at how equal or sometimes less rentals are compared to this metro area .

I think I got used to it up here .

Old 11-03-2017, 09:01 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I don't know why you're rolling your eyes for. I've seen a huge difference b/w Seattle area vs others.

When my sister came to visit me in TN, she was stunned to see that McDonald's still are doing the $2.99 Happy Meal, she had assumed that McDs phased that out. We also had stopped in Red Robin and that also was an eye opener for her as well-- she was grumbling about how ridiculous it was to eat out in Seattle for the amount you paid. It was the same when we went to a Nashville eatery, the plate she ordered that only cost her $9, she said would easily be 2.5 times more in the Seattle area. I've seen the same reaction with a Seattleite friend when we all went to Ohio, he was stunned too and ordered 3 separate meals in one sitting-- said that those 3 meals still came out much less than a dinner date back home.

I also noticed with grocery, for $50, I get more in TN than WA. And that's with TN sales tax on groceries (either full @ 9.75 or slightly less depending on what I buy). I can believe this article, especially when I hear my family and friends grumbling their money doesn't go too far here.
Median income Nashville: $43,847

Seattle: $80,000

Old 11-04-2017, 06:31 AM

236 posts, read 289,602 times
Preschools, daycare, camps, any type of childcare is so much more
Expensive than when I visit my family back in the Midwest. I would not be surprised if it was some of the highest in the country outside of New York City.

Curious as to what others who have moved here from other major cities think.

Old 11-04-2017, 10:04 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Median income Nashville: $43,847

Seattle: $80,000
Yes, I've been hearing $72k/yr would be poverty in Seattle, which would be just astounding to a lot of people here in TN. The people I've spoken to were taken aback by some of the Seattle costs I mentioned, like the daycare cost for example.

I don't actually live in the Nashville area, but I do pop up in that town every now and then. I'm not even sure at this point if I would want to move to Nashville as it's going gangbusters, though not as stark as Seattle. There are those that do complain about the traffic and the rise of RE prices for example... it's hard to agree (at this point) b/c it's really not as bad RELATIVELY.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:08 PM

638 posts, read 529,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Yes, I've been hearing $72k/yr would be poverty in Seattle, which would be just astounding to a lot of people here in TN. The people I've spoken to were taken aback by some of the Seattle costs I mentioned, like the daycare cost for example.

I don't actually live in the Nashville area, but I do pop up in that town every now and then. I'm not even sure at this point if I would want to move to Nashville as it's going gangbusters, though not as stark as Seattle. There are those that do complain about the traffic and the rise of RE prices for example... it's hard to agree (at this point) b/c it's really not as bad RELATIVELY.
$72k is hard but poverty is $55k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area