Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 03:25 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times

Advertisements

James, Bothell is much closer highly rated schools. Closer in, more money. Common sense, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 03:35 PM

235 posts, read 269,617 times
$140K all-in, or just base with bonus on top of that?

Old 03-07-2018, 03:43 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Here's a 3/2 house in Bothell. Check the listings yourself, OP. You may be surprised. I guess places like this get bid upwards, but still...it's better than a townhome. Do your own research.

https://www.realestate.com/2517-171s...8012--38548591

Townhome, 3 br., under $400K:
https://www.realestate.com/2201-192n...8012--38606289

There's hope, OP.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:50 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2441139 View Post
I have an offer from a midsize tech company in Bellevue. They offered $140k. Health, dental insurance fully paid. Parking and transit pass fully paid. 401k match. My wife will start working in about a year (we are having our first baby). She is in civil engineering. Btw, we are moving from Orlando, FL.

Considering the housing scarcity in and around Seattle, we are thinking of renting a 2/2 for about 6 months or so and start looking for a simple 3/2 condo/townhouse to buy. Initial budget is about $400k.

Considering the background I just provided,

1. How is $140K now a days as an offer in Bellevue?
2. For about $400k budget, which areas should we look to buy a 3/2 condo/townhouse/single family that will not have a commute of more than 45min - 1hour to Bellevue? Is this budget adequate for a simple 3/2?
3. How are property insurance and property tax there? Any comparison to Orlando as to these values?
4. Is transit a faster/reliable option to commute to Bellevue?
5. Anything else that I should be aware of before considering this offer?

Much appreciated. Thanks.
As long as you saw the thread close to yours (at the moment, anyway) about "$1M median home price in Bellevue coming soon" and are not concerned, you're in business. Coming from a place like Orlando, with Zillow indicating median home value index of $176,100 as of today, yes I'd be gravely concerned about the future, if not present. Condos are nice, I lived in one and invested in others, decades past, and made money up through c. 2004. Today, dunno. Seems like people are stuck, given the above.

$140K seems tolerable money for a mid-level role, possibly senior, from a mid-size company. Depends on various things, though. Glassdoor can answer that better, as can a local career coach, not this den of opinions that devolves into sniping pretty quickly.

Personally, for that money I'd live in a Canyon Park condo, which is Bothell. There used to be many, now I gather there are few that are affordable, if rumor is true. I lived in Mill Creek to the north by maybe seven miles for eleven years and to do it again...would vastly prefer to be nearer a mass transit major junction. Cannot stress that enough: mass transit, since you can't afford to live in Bellevue (probably, and unfortunately). Driving to / from on I405 *bites the big one*, see previous, and however you can mitigate that, do so. By close I mean within a mile, maybe blocks if you can. I'm eight blocks from a major bus route, with free street parking, and 1 mile from Kirkland transit center. No way on Earth am I driving anywhere in commute hours, hell with that.

Option 2 is the scummier part of Kirkland. Find a Kirkland agent who deals with up near the hospital. I doubt it will be scummy much longer, if it even is anymore, since they dynamited Totem Lake Mall and seem to be building really cool stuff there as we speak. But, an agent would know more about that.

Might want to go to other parts of C-D (the data), and (other sites probably can't name) for data by-area and look at for-sale pricing trends in the past year. Kirkland, my home, had a crazed year (up 27% YoY).

If you have a second income, eventually, yes: go for it IMO. Once you get over living what you consider not quite poor, but far from rich, on what you thought was damn good money, and your wife starts bringing in real solid bacon, and you get over the enormous cost of child care (you researched that too, right?) this can be a great place to live. Some hate it, others love it.

For tech workers, playing it smart and strategic on a ten or twenty year horizon, there are huge opportunities. Vast. Play it dumb, you'll be angry and bitter like half the clowns who flee the state and complain about "lack of affordability." To them, we say: Welcome to Texas (or Tax-as, given their high property taxes?)

Old 03-07-2018, 10:47 PM

33 posts, read 35,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canamlian View Post
$140K all-in, or just base with bonus on top of that?
Bonus is extra. Consider $150k in total.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:30 AM

310 posts, read 446,754 times
Quote:
I have an offer from a midsize tech company in Bellevue. They offered $140k. Health, dental insurance fully paid. Parking and transit pass fully paid. 401k match. My wife will start working in about a year (we are having our first baby). She is in civil engineering. Btw, we are moving from Orlando, FL.

Considering the housing scarcity in and around Seattle, we are thinking of renting a 2/2 for about 6 months or so and start looking for a simple 3/2 condo/townhouse to buy. Initial budget is about $400k.

2. For about $400k budget, which areas should we look to buy a 3/2 condo/townhouse/single family that will not have a commute of more than 45min - 1hour to Bellevue? Is this budget adequate for a simple 3/2?
3. How are property insurance and property tax there? Any comparison to Orlando as to these values?

1. $140k is great money to make.
2. Up your budget by $200k
3. Prop insurance is no problem, but property taxes are very, very high.
4. Stay clear of I-405 at all costs.
5. The gray drizzling rain for 9 months

Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Sunaimer, Many of my clients who move here from other parts of the country say that the property tax rates are lower here than where they came from.

Old 03-08-2018, 09:04 AM

455 posts, read 598,211 times
Two pages in and nobody's told him to not move here?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:29 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
1. $140k is great money to make.
2. Up your budget by $200k
3. Prop insurance is no problem, but property taxes are very, very high.
4. Stay clear of I-405 at all costs.
5. The gray drizzling rain for 9 months
Property taxes are not high, compared nationally, They're about mid-range, for property taxes in the 50 states. They may seem high, because property valuations have been skyrocketing. But the tax rate is not high, comparatively.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:21 PM

638 posts, read 529,434 times
Quote:

I don't know what you do so I don't know if $140k is fair. Indeed can provide those stats.

$400k is will get you very close to a 1 hour commute.

Bellevue is already the burbs, so from there, you will probably have to be very selective regarding neighborhoods if you plan on transport.

Good luck and congratulations on your baby-to-be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area