Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 03:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

Once it get so hot, all the material in a building will just radiate all that stored heat, especially when it starts cooling down. Large buildings with a lot of metal and concrete seem to be the worst. The
heat-island effect is a very real problem, the more and more things like buildings and roadways in an area, the worse the problem of stored-heat becoming radiated-heat.

Seattle is quite island-like and dense in many areas, this is a formula for heat-island problems. Luckily, the weather in Seattle is mild for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 10:45 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
It is way too hot for comfort. When it's 90 outside (which it has been for a few days now here), it's closer to 100 inside our apartment, fans and all. Can't wait until Tuesday when it looks like the heat wave will cool down to the mid-high 80s instead

Old 07-29-2018, 11:25 PM

24 posts, read 14,819 times
I'm in Gig Harbor, so the weather's a few degrees off here, but oh my goodness. It's been hot as hell for the past week (with yesterday being an exception). Today was much too hot for my taste.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvelle Paris View Post
I'm in Gig Harbor, so the weather's a few degrees off here, but oh my goodness. It's been hot as hell for the past week (with yesterday being an exception). Today was much too hot for my taste.
It looks like today will be slightly hotter yet, mid 90s before cooling off tomorrow. I'm so glad we have the two window AC units, kept the family room/kitchen at 72 and the bedroom at 65 all night. Inside my greenhouse it got up to 107 yesterday.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:58 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

OK, then. I guess my friend in Sea. is vindicated. That's really tough for people to live through without A/C. He has a basement workshop, and he says it's hot down there, too, at those temps. Just curious, is anyone here running one of those portable indoor A/C units? How well is that working out?
My car was showing 99f yesterday around Bellevue. It has been a historical heat wave not so much due to high temperatures, but due to the duration.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Hey, Botev1912, why are you ignoring my explanation for why I was not ignoring you???? Not satisfied? (You called me out twice, after all.)
What are you talking about? I responded to you right after your post.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:14 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
What are you talking about? I responded to you right after your post.
You're right, you responded to my post:

Quote:
They actually said it reads cooler than it should after inspecting it. And this is not something shocking. SeaTac is warmer than a lot of other neighborhoods.
You accused me of not reading the article I posted, twice. Just to set the record straight:

You:

Quote:
Did you even read that?
You:

Quote:
"Why did you ignore my question? Or you just didn't care to read it the same way you didn't read the article you posted."
Me:

Quote:
Not ignoring you - I went to the store. Occasionally, I have the need to go buy some, um, food. Nasty habit, eating...

They updated, corrected, and extensively rewrote the article from when I posted the link to it (10:07 am). Different article, really. Different headline.

Note that the the thermometer was operating "within the tolerances the Weather Services requires" doesn't counter Mass' concern (in the original, but not the revised, article) that temperatures have been trending higher at Sea-Tac, compared to surrounding areas, for local reasons (the third runway replacing a bank of trees, for instance), and might no longer be representative of conditions in Seattle.

This does show that when Cliff Mass speaks, the NWS jumps...
You responded to the second part, but blithely ignored my explanation that I had gone shopping and they'd changed the article in the meantime. Different content, different title. Different article. The section I quoted wasn't even in it anymore. I wasn't ignoring you. I had read the original article that I had linked to.

Now, I was just jibing you and wasn't expecting a mea culpa. A nod of acknowledgement would have been nice, however.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 07-30-2018 at 11:23 AM..

Old 07-30-2018, 01:42 PM

I even quoted you which means I acknowledged what happened. Didn't ignore that fact at all. I get it they have revised the article which was deceiving in the first place.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:06 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
You're right, you responded to my post:

You accused me of not reading the article I posted, twice. Just to set the record straight:

You:

You:

Me:

You responded to the second part, but blithely ignored my explanation that I had gone shopping and they'd changed the article in the meantime. Different content, different title. Different article. The section I quoted wasn't even in it anymore. I wasn't ignoring you. I had read the original article that I had linked to.

Now, I was just jibing you and wasn't expecting a mea culpa. A nod of acknowledgement would have been nice, however.

Guys, chill. See what the heat is doing to you?

Old 07-30-2018, 03:04 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
I even quoted you which means I acknowledged what happened. Didn't ignore that fact at all. I get it they have revised the article which was deceiving in the first place.

Thanks, I'll take that as your nod.

The article quoted Cliff Mass' speculation that the sensor might be defective (reading too high). Subsequently, the NWS checked it and found that it was measuring a tad low, but still operating within its expected range. The P-I writer then did a somersault that was not entirely justified. The original title might have been "deceiving", but writers often don't write titles.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 07-30-2018 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area