Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2020, 10:48 PM

243 posts, read 228,721 times

Advertisements

To put it bluntly I was gonna move to WA ( from San Diego )because I could find work , get much better pay and eventually join the strong union presence ( building trades) but I’m honestly terrified of the direction the whole PNW is taking.

Things are getting way out of control and the BLM riots are only making it worse.

Not taking a political stance but as a white dude I’m terrified of moving there or any of the major PNW cities.

I just saw a video where recently a guy in Portland was chased down and beaten bloody for sticking up for an old man and another of a man getting beaten for waving an American flag

Here they are

I mean I would love the rainforests , mountains , the sound and the coast but it’s not worth getting killed over just because I’m white , not a liberal or maybe because I have a U.S. Flag sticker somewhere on my truck.

I’m terrified if I move to Seattle I’ll get pulled out of my truck and beaten to death. I’m not exaggerating I’m seriously worried about it.

So much ive just been looking at moving to Texas or possibly Arizona.

I can’t believe the cowardly politicians allow this. How is this not domestic terrorism ? Beating people bloody because they don’t agree with you ?

I know these happened in Portland but be real , I could find plenty of examples in Seattle.

Do people who live there really hate white people this much ? Or anyone who isn’t a super progressive ?

Not trying to encite An argument , I’ve never been to the PNW so I don’t know how bad it really is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 10:53 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Jeez man, you’ll be fine. Most of us live in peace, it’s actually statistically one of the safest parts of the country. Why don’t you come by for a visit before you jump to conclusions? A lot of people love it here.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:28 AM

243 posts, read 228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Jeez man, you’ll be fine. Most of us live in peace, it’s actually statistically one of the safest parts of the country. Why don’t you come by for a visit before you jump to conclusions? A lot of people love it here.
Like the tolerant left does huh ? Or does that only apply when it suits them ?

Because Im the white , don’t vote Democrat and don’t align myself with ultra progressives im a “ racist , sexist , alt-right nazi “ , right ?

Anyway not sure where you work where you can take time off like that to vist a place.

Must be a nice cushy job. I gotta save what I can and pick a spot based purely on job market and aesthetics without ever having been there.

The only place I’m familiar with that I’d consider is CO. You don’t make enough to live as an electrician in Denver , especially as an apprentice . Won’t even be able to afford a room in a shared place. Gotta live with mommy and daddy there at my level in the field. Atleast not for your first two years.

Meh. I’d trade the snow for being close to the water. WA is definately prettier state.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:43 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
To put it bluntly I was gonna move to WA ( from San Diego )because I could find work , get much better pay and eventually join the strong union presence ( building trades) but I’m honestly terrified of the direction the whole PNW is taking.

Things are getting way out of control and the BLM riots are only making it worse.

Not taking a political stance but as a white dude I’m terrified of moving there or any of the major PNW cities.

I just saw a video where recently a guy in Portland was chased down and beaten bloody for sticking up for an old man and another of a man getting beaten for waving an American flag

Here they are

I mean I would love the rainforests , mountains , the sound and the coast but it’s not worth getting killed over just because I’m white , not a liberal or maybe because I have a U.S. Flag sticker somewhere on my truck.

I’m terrified if I move to Seattle I’ll get pulled out of my truck and beaten to death. I’m not exaggerating I’m seriously worried about it.

So much ive just been looking at moving to Texas or possibly Arizona.

I can’t believe the cowardly politicians allow this. How is this not domestic terrorism ? Beating people bloody because they don’t agree with you ?

I know these happened in Portland but be real , I could find plenty of examples in Seattle.

Do people who live there really hate white people this much ? Or anyone who isn’t a super progressive ?

Not trying to encite An argument , I’ve never been to the PNW so I don’t know how bad it really is
If you plan on buying a house just beware of the no cap on Washington home property taxes.

Old 07-19-2020, 04:01 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Yes sir, Washington state makes up for the fact that they don't have an income tax by taxing everyone who owns a house up the ying yang with property tax. This is worth looking in to, OP. Also, can you live with the heavy layers of clouds, dark clouds at times, and the constant drizzly rain that is evident in western Washington?

Hey, I love Seattle and western Washington, you're from San Diego, and you want ta move to Washington? What are you trying to escape in California? I like San Diego and was entertaining a job there a year ago but ran the other way when I found out how expensive homes were there. Why do you want ta leave San Diego, dg628?

Old 07-19-2020, 05:27 AM

1,747 posts, read 879,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dg628 View Post
Like the tolerant left does huh ? Or does that only apply when it suits them ?

Because Im the white , don’t vote Democrat and don’t align myself with ultra progressives im a “ racist , sexist , alt-right nazi “ , right ?

Anyway not sure where you work where you can take time off like that to vist a place.

Must be a nice cushy job. I gotta save what I can and pick a spot based purely on job market and aesthetics without ever having been there.

The only place I’m familiar with that I’d consider is CO. You don’t make enough to live as an electrician in Denver , especially as an apprentice . Won’t even be able to afford a room in a shared place. Gotta live with mommy and daddy there at my level in the field. Atleast not for your first two years.

Meh. I’d trade the snow for being close to the water. WA is definately prettier state.

Well, if you can put up with the snow, try the New Hampshire Seacoast area. It's beautiful, a few hours drive to the mountains, ten to fifteen miles from the Massachusetts and Maine boarders, and not much risk of any one even asking if you are a liberal or not.

Rents are cheaper than the west coast, although salaries are less as well. As an electrical apprentice, you should make enough to live on since there is no sales or income tax (as long as you are employed in NH). Property taxes are high but it doesn't sound like you will be in a position to buy a house for a few more years.

It's worth looking into. I grew up there and if I wasn't retired and in warmer climate now, I'd still be there as it will always be my first choice state.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:19 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Uh, Seattle is the whitest large city in America. And the largest minority group in Seattle is Asian.

If you're terrified of Seattle, you might need to move to Iceland or Nova Scotia.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:30 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,301,434 times
If you're looking for a fight you'll find one, no matter where you are. I would say the PNW is one of the most laid-back areas of the country, and this Portland thing is an abberation that came out of nowhere and was exacerbated by the Federal troops taking things too far.

I would agree with Guineas above - it's a pretty quiet life generally.

That said, it actually sounds like you already have a bit of a chip on your shoulder anyway, so maybe you'd better think this moving thing over carefully before jumping in.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:58 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,077,727 times
Hi there dg628,
I am a union tradesman as well and a dual Ca/Wa resident.
I can clearly see what you might not like about Seattle.
The thing is, WA is just so much greater than that.

I mean why would you want to live in Seattle?
There are so many better places here, for my situation anyway.

I wouldn’t want to live in San Francisco but the ‘burbs are nice.

There are good union jobs near Bremerton and that would give you an option of not seeing the “big city” and living in a nice place.

Everyone has their own reason for wanting to live here.
Mine are the weather, the scenery and being close to family and friends.

I could give a rats butt about politics.
Just leave me alone and I’m fine.

As bad as ca taxes are , this “no prop 13” thing here really sucks.
It sucks so bad that I am now forced to keep a ca property.
I now am being forced to be an out of state landlord just because I don’t want to be taxed out of my wa place and might need a home that I can afford.

You might have a different situation so there is that.

Do some more research.
If I could do it so can you.

I really like San Diego but wa is so much nicer.

Politicly speaking one thing that I really like about my wa area is that we all get along.
Don’t bug me and I won’t bug you.

We have two old guys here in my area that protest.
One has a sign that says BLM, the other has a sign that says Christian lives (or something like that) matter.
They set up across the intersection from each other.
I think they are friends.
I just smile and wave at them.
They hurt no one and I am totally for non violent protests so I find these “old guys“ to be rather cool.

Have you ever done a trip up here to see the real deal?
If not you should.

BTW if you carry a chip on your shoulder you might not like most places anywhere.

All the best.
Andy.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:17 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
The media and the internet act like a magnifying glass that can greatly amplify unusual events. Most of the city is just going on about it's business without a care. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area