Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 06:27 AM

10 posts, read 15,600 times

Advertisements

Hello! I spent hours researching & assessing different neighborhoods before finally admitting to myself that I am a lazy bum and should just live as close to as many restaurants/businesses within walking distance as possible.

So with that self-realization, I am pretty sure Capitol Hill would be a good option and am now looking for some guidance on which neighborhoods/streets/buildings of Capitol Hill would be best. All that said, I am still open to considering other neighborhoods based on the below criteria.

• 29 y/o single male & no pets
  • Soft budget of $2.3-2.5k per month incl. parking
  • Will have a car and motorcycle for commute
  • The ideal is close enough to be ~15m walk to the action but far enough that street noise/traffic is minimized but would rather accept the noise than walk further than 15m
  • Comfortable w/ being adjacent to crime/homelessness
  • Big on live music events (edm/hip-hop) but I think I'd need to drive to the venues regardless of where I live
  • Not big on going out to bars
  • Like to be around good food (esp. asian food)
  • Bonus points if I can make friends around the area as I will be moving without knowing a single person in Seattle

Any and all advice on specific areas or apartment buildings to look at, general perspective on what living in Capitol Hill is like, and other things to consider about moving to Seattle is greatly greatly appreciated! Even though I have narrowed down my options to Capitol Hill, I still feel a bit overwhelmed at the many many neighborhoods within Capitol Hill and where to look so specifics on areas/blocks to avoid or prioritize would be extremely appreciated.

I am happy to answer any questions to help fine-tune any guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 06:59 AM

4,898 posts, read 2,052,348 times
Well, Capital Hill sound right for you since there is a lot of “energy” in that area. “I” still go there from time to time, for the food!!

It’s good that you’re comfortable with crime and homelessness, but don’t be too comfortable, just stay alert since there are a lot of dark areas that are directly off the main streets. I’m a night owl and I do OK since a little common sense goes far.

As for renting, you will probably be able to find a good deal now. Just make sure that you stay away from renting anything that’s near the main park... For rent, to include parking for a car/suv/truck and a motorcycle, be prepared to pay $$$ for that luxury since parking in that area is very limited.

Make sure that you don’t leave anything of value in your vehicle... The old cover it with a “blanket or newspaper” trick doesn’t work here.

I would also look at the Queen Ann Hill area as well since it contains everything that you’re looking for as well.... IMHO, it has less property crime. Which is important since Seattle Police no longer responds, normally, to that type of crime, but you can call it in to report it for a case number for your insurance purposes.

As for friends, you will make them and don’t pay too much attention to that “Seattle Freeze” stuff, but just be aware that Seattle isn’t the most friendliest place either, but once you understand it, it’s fine.

Good luck!!

Old 04-21-2021, 12:27 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
Parking in the Capitol Hill area is generally between $200-$300/month. You may find a place that lets you park your motorcycle for free or has a big enough stall for your car+cycle.

I live in First Hill right on the edge of Cap Hill and it's a great neighborhood. Very quiet, and a <10 min walk to Broadway/Pike/Pine. A little further walk to the top of Cap Hill (upper Broadway).

My favorites parts of the hill neighborhoods are where I live (look at the Minor/Seneca intersection), Bellevue & Melrose between Denny & Roy, or somewhere along 15th Ave, preferably north of Thomas Street.

These areas are all pretty quiet and pretty close to good amenities.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:49 PM

53 posts, read 44,224 times
Just general guidance - Strongly recommend a building with secured parking. Should be easy to find in your price point, but two spaces might be a bit more challenging. Some buildings have motorcycle parking though.

If you consider living downtown, I subletted in Newmark Tower downtown for two years and really liked living there. It’s about a 25 minute walk from Pine/Broadway and minutes from Belltown and Pike Place, has super secured parking overnight (gate to Target garage, and separate gate to the building’s lot), and the building itself seems really quiet. You’ll get noise from the stree though.

Old 04-21-2021, 12:55 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Capitol Hill:

To live in the middle of everything, live close to the Light Rail Station at Broadway & John. You'll need parking (not all buildings have it).

Busiest areas: Broadway, Pike-Pine. Close to I-5, you get some freeway noise.

More laid back: 15th, 19th, Aloha, Madison Valley.

Lower Queen Anne (Uptown):

Close to Seattle Center (festivals, concerts, sports). Lots of restaurants. Close to Belltown, SLU, Downtown. Multiple transit lines.

Ballard and Fremont:

North of Shipping Canal. Live music, restaurants, shopping, etc. Longer commute to Downtown.

University District:

Close to UW and "The Ave".

Old 04-21-2021, 02:21 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
As jabogitlu notes, I like 15th, N. of Thomas, great little neighborhood, close to everything but more mellow (at the times you want it-like sleeping time) than other parts of Cap Hill.

Old 04-22-2021, 08:40 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,910,334 times
I lived south of Thomas in the Hillcrest Apartment Building (on Howell between 16th and 17th) and would recommend that area over north of Thomas, to be honest, for someone with your stated preferences. It is better situated for transit and grocery shopping but is still leafy and quiet. North of Thomas is primarily SFH residential whereas south of Thomas is primarily multiunit residential, but with older, well-established apartment buildings.

Specifically I'm talking about the area between 15th and 19th Aves, north of Madison and south of Thomas.

Old 04-22-2021, 10:33 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
I lived south of Thomas in the Hillcrest Apartment Building (on Howell between 16th and 17th) and would recommend that area over north of Thomas, to be honest, for someone with your stated preferences. It is better situated for transit and grocery shopping but is still leafy and quiet. North of Thomas is primarily SFH residential whereas south of Thomas is primarily multiunit residential, but with older, well-established apartment buildings.

Specifically I'm talking about the area between 15th and 19th Aves, north of Madison and south of Thomas.
Yes, you're closer to the action (Pike-Pine) south of Thomas, but you're closer to Volunteer Park (which is a major bonus) north of Thomas. Between Thomas and Mercer, you're still close to the Safeway at 15th & John, but further from Trader Joe's and the Central Co-op.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:21 PM

441 posts, read 438,867 times
It's been 20 plus years but I lived om 18th and Pike. small building there with secure parking. (fenced in). It didn't really have a name but as I said that was a long time ago. Also just so you know public transportation isn't too bad in Seattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area