Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 11:49 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,159,568 times

Advertisements

Summers in Seattle are actually drier than summers in Phoenix, so not really a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 06:17 AM

102,269 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Article link here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sea...e-way/%3famp=1

“Tuesday marked the 22nd day without measurable rain in Seattle, and it looks like it will be at least another week without much more than a sprinkle — if that — according to the National Weather Service of Seattle.

The last time measurable precipitation was recorded at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport was on June 14, the weather service said. And while there may be a little drizzle in some areas on Wednesday, it won’t be anything for folks to get excited about, said meteorologist Mary Butwin”.
But that's normal for this time of year. Why is this newsworthy?

Old 07-07-2021, 06:25 AM

102,269 posts, read 108,310,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Also, I'll never forget- the first time I visited Seattle, my first impression of Seattle, was for a full week in early September 2017- and it was completely clear sky and sunny, every day of that entire week. Not a single cloud the entire time.

I really feel like Seattle is a big secret, like a practical joke by you natives. The winter is very cloudy and dreary, but besides that one season, like 3/4 of the year is less cloudy on average than anywhere east of the west coast, and the summers are so sunny all the time, and without the heat or humidity. It's pretty great.

The west coast is expensive for a good reason.
Typically, the first rains of the fall/winter season start closer to mid-October, but there was one year, when September was very wet, unexpectedly. It might have been 2016. And yes, the summers are sunny, generally, though not always.

Yes, you get it; the West Coast is expensive for a reason. But until recently, A/C was unnecessary, so there was a significant savings there, compared to other parts of the US.

Thx for your perspective as a new transplant.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:45 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,692,818 times
Trace of rain overnight. I could tell immediately from the mottled look of the pavement and cars. Then I could actually hear it. Not enough to skip watering the flowers later.

Old 07-07-2021, 07:39 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,714 posts, read 81,563,799 times
It's raining here in Sammamish now, not enough to puddle, but enough to require the car wipers on intermittent.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:30 AM

1,305 posts, read 861,822 times
Quote:
I've lived in Seattle for a year and a half now, and it hasn't rained yet. It's so funny, because all they ever say about Seattle back east is that it rains a lot here. Ha. Uh... no. Quite the opposite. Big misconception. It actually doesn't rain here at all!

In Atlanta, when it rains, you know it. Because, ya know... there's water. It comes down from the sky. You see it, you feel it, and you hear it (I miss the sound of rain so much, and thunder). You have to go inside, or find shelter or an umbrella, or you will get soaked in your clothes. Events get cancelled, etc. Outside is basically closed for a few hours.

Whereas here, I don't even own an umbrella, and I haven't ever felt the need for one. The few times it's sprinkled a little, I just wear a hoodie. (By the way, as I stated above- that's not rain. It apparently doesn't rain in Seattle, that I've noticed.)

Works out perfectly for me, as I don't have a car here. I have to walk everywhere, and there couldn't be a better city in the US to have to be on foot outside every day, as the weather (and the usually mild climate) here never impedes that.

No humidity here, too. It's really the best. The climate here is the best thing about Seattle, in my opinion. But, I miss rain.
LOL! Yep, when I tell people I lived in Seattle, they ask me how I could stand all the rain! They are shocked when I tell them it probably rains more here in Ohio than it did in Seattle and that there is a summer drought every year. Seattle is more about the grey and drizzle than real rain. I think it's a common misconception.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:39 AM

849 posts, read 972,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
LOL! Yep, when I tell people I lived in Seattle, they ask me how I could stand all the rain! They are shocked when I tell them it probably rains more here in Ohio than it did in Seattle and that there is a summer drought every year. Seattle is more about the grey and drizzle than real rain. I think it's a common misconception.
It is. Having grown up in the south Bay Area, that was our impression of the PNW as a whole; that it just rains all the time. Rain, as in actually raining, but not quite necessarily downpours. Over the years, I've come to understand that it doesn't really rain like that all the time, it seems like it's more sprinkling and drizzling frequently. So it doesn't outright rain all the time, but it's damp a lot (hence the moss everywhere, or whatever that is, that you just don't have here in Phoenix). It seems like it's more that it's cloudy and overcast about 9 months, where you don't see the actual sun full on that much outside of summer.

But, this could all be a misconception too, as we haven't actually been there yet.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:17 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,294,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
It is. Having grown up in the south Bay Area, that was our impression of the PNW as a whole; that it just rains all the time. Rain, as in actually raining, but not quite necessarily downpours. Over the years, I've come to understand that it doesn't really rain like that all the time, it seems like it's more sprinkling and drizzling frequently. So it doesn't outright rain all the time, but it's damp a lot (hence the moss everywhere, or whatever that is, that you just don't have here in Phoenix). It seems like it's more that it's cloudy and overcast about 9 months, where you don't see the actual sun full on that much outside of summer.

But, this could all be a misconception too, as we haven't actually been there yet.
I would argue it's more the opposite- December thru February in Seattle is mostly overcast and gloomy, and the other 9 months are mostly nice. With a transition between obviously. But I remember March this year being mostly sunny.

Old 07-07-2021, 10:47 AM

849 posts, read 972,083 times
Quote:
I would argue it's more the opposite- December thru February in Seattle is mostly overcast and gloomy, and the other 9 months are mostly nice. With a transition between obviously. But I remember March this year being mostly sunny.
That actually sounds a lot like the San Jose area, but this perception has to come from somewhere because that's not even close.

Blippi sure does seem to always have sunny days there.

Old 07-07-2021, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 6,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
That actually sounds a lot like the San Jose area, but this perception has to come from somewhere because that's not even close.
Is San Jose more like San Francisco when it comes to weather? I'm in the East Bay and we have three seasons: Hot, Hotter, and Not Hot. We get zero rain in Hot and Hotter, and only a little during Not Hot.

Now we'll be splitting time at a second house in Washington (near Monroe), so I'll get to experience the not-quite-year-round drizzle/gloom. That'll be a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area