Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 06:49 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times

Advertisements

I didn't say there hasn't been any precipitation. Precipitation =/= rain.

I definitely remember some misting here and there in the winter. I don't recall feeling or hearing any rain at all. At least by my definition of rain (as a southeasterner).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 07:19 PM

15,827 posts, read 6,536,770 times
Today's cool temperatures were a pleasant change of pace. The air quality is good as well.

Old 08-20-2021, 09:44 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Umbrellas are for sissy's and tourists.
They're also for people who don't want their glasses to be blurred with raindrops, or their earbuds to be damaged by water. I never go out alone without listening to something on my phone, so if it even just drizzles up goes the umbrella.

Old 08-22-2021, 03:00 PM

102,207 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Umbrellas are for sissy's and tourists.
This oft-touted erroneous belief is belied by how many umbrellas end up in the Metro bus system lost and found daily, during rainy weather. A LOT of long-term Seattleites, even born-and-raised ones, use umbrellas. They're indispensable especially during those El Nino-year downpours.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:25 PM

Fun fact: the country with the most umbrellas per capita is Japan. 3.3 per person, apparently. Why do you need 3.3 umbrellas? You'd have to ask them.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:39 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Fun fact: the country with the most umbrellas per capita is Japan. 3.3 per person, apparently. Why do you need 3.3 umbrellas? You'd have to ask them.
Shae, I’ve been to Japan and I did ask them. The answer I got was “fashion” . Ruth, I normally agree with you here but most people I know and see in Seattle don’t use umbrellas. Lots of hats, ski caps when it’s cold. Just doesn’t rain that hard in these parts, more just drizzly.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:15 PM

When I was working I always carried around a folding umbrella for "emergency" use. I.e. in case of a torrential downpour. It has only been used once or twice though.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Shae, I’ve been to Japan and I did ask them. The answer I got was “fashion” .
Makes sense, I suppose, depending on what you're doing that day. There are probably some with umbrella collections, which would skew the average.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:03 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,515,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Makes sense, I suppose, depending on what you're doing that day. There are probably some with umbrella collections, which would skew the average.
Watches are kind of like that. Most people own and wear one, if they own a wristwatch at all; but people who are really into watches tend to have a lot more which they wear on different occasions or with different clothes. I understood this when I finally realized why some people need to buy "watch winder" machines to keep their automatic mechanical watches going--it's for the watches that don't often wear and therefore would run down if not for the winders.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:52 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,003 times
Quote:
YES!!! I love umbrellas!! So fun, and so many interesting ones. I adore walking under one during a lovely shower. Do I need one? Usually no, but I have so many neat ones I just can't not use them. I likely skew the average at 9 umbrellas. Trying to keep it under control, but I might need to buy a new one this fall if I happen across a good one.

FWIW, I usually wear unrelieved black and my umbrella are my splash of color and fun during the grey days.

I like jumping in puddles too, and walking in the snow while catching snowflakes on my tongue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area