Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 11:56 AM

8,089 posts, read 8,431,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
"Rents, which also dipped last year, have fully rebounded (not sure I’d call this part good news). In the most recent quarter, asking rents hit a high of $2,221 in greater downtown. That just edges out the previous high of $2,207 from the first quarter of 2020. Rent concessions are also down significantly from last year."

Downtown Seattle population rebounds, hits new high in 2021
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...-high-in-2021/
That's with 5,000 units, mostly high-rise "luxury" units (with gyms, water/mountain views, roof-top patios, parking, and other amenities), being added since 2019. The biggest rent drops look to be for micro-apartments of 350sf or less, many of which were added in N. Seattle. Amazon and Microsoft still WFM, and Boeing with its own troubles, it is hardly surprising that "worker" units, as opposed to "luxury" units, there might be in supply, rather than in demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 11:58 AM

7,564 posts, read 17,325,495 times
Wow. I guess we're back?

Regarding SEDUs (micro units) - I recently reviewed an appraisal of land that had also been appraised in 2019. Highest and best use switched from SEDU development to townhome development due to softening of the market for the former land use type. This was even after several hundred thousand dollars in entitlement costs as the site had a MUP for SEDU construction.

So, yep, seems like there is some moving around of the preferred property types, at least for now.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That is pretty much always true. Ignoring intangible costs like moving costs, utility hookup fees if any, and the social costs of moving if any, consistently moving to a newly developed building every 1-2 years will typically provide you with the most bang for your buck in terms of rental rates and concessions. (This doesn't really hold up if your preference is to live in fully depreciated buildings like a 1960s quadplex, of course.)

Otherwise - Yes, rents are down in a lot of areas of the city. They have rebounded since the lows observed around 4Q20-1Q21. The dip in rate is slow to push hard against the highs seen in 2019 and 1Q21 due to the factors you mentioned but also due to the huge pipeline of multifamily units that have finally been coming onboard. We are lucky as a region to have a much better planning and permitting ecosystem than some parts of the country (California). There are issues like the design review boards and citizen abuse of the GMA/EIS (NIMBYism), but overall we are doing a fairly decent job of building housing.
Plus, we don't know what the longer-term trends will be, for WFH, Amazon site development/acquisition, and Boeing employment. Why shouldn't many corporations, once they've discovered they can manage it, pivot from paying for expensive Downtown-office space to employees willingly paying for home-office space? My nephew used to rent in Ballard and commute to Bellevue, but now is buying a house and works-from-home doing the same job, in Las Vegas. Zoning-loosening and a flood of projected affordable housing developments could end up overshooting the mark. So, savings gained now, by making the leap, could be permanent.

While this might not be good for REITs that have heavily invested in Northend apartment projects, it could be good for Seattle's renters.

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 08-09-2021 at 12:44 PM..

Old 08-09-2021, 01:12 PM

7,564 posts, read 17,325,495 times
That is a big question mark for the local area but my own opinion is that it will show up in the spec office market before (or if ever) the apartment market. The pandemic won't last forever and people enjoy living in the PNW. Longer term, the PNW is poised to absorb climate refugees from the Southwest and South. Anecdotally, a lot of folks (including myself) now work from home permanently but still live in the city in condos and apartments.

However I doubt we will see another Rainier Square (Tower II) or 2+U style development for years. Big tech has definitely moved onto the Eastside and our other major industries (Boeing, Government) can't anchor additional office space downtown.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
That is a big question mark for the local area but my own opinion is that it will show up in the spec office market before (or if ever) the apartment market. The pandemic won't last forever and people enjoy living in the PNW. Longer term, the PNW is poised to absorb climate refugees from the Southwest and South. Anecdotally, a lot of folks (including myself) now work from home permanently but still live in the city in condos and apartments.

However I doubt we will see another Rainier Square (Tower II) or 2+U style development for years. Big tech has definitely moved onto the Eastside and our other major industries (Boeing, Government) can't anchor additional office space downtown.
One of the hottest real estate markets in the nation now is Aberdeen and Grays Harbor, due to investments made to connect it via fiber to the Internet backbone. Even so, real estate values there, although historically high, are still less than half of Seattle's. Companies may not be relocating there much, but WFH workers are. Such workers, however, are running into rental crunches outside Seattle. My nephew couldn't afford to buy a house in Seattle, but could in Las Vegas, despite a historically "hot" real estate market there.

I think people being able to choose to live in the City without being priced out is a positive. Seattle now has 575 rental results in Zillow, many with multiple available units, for $1,500 or less (Grays Harbor has 2). If WFM, you may not be tied to a particular bus-line (the #40 or #8 for Amazon, for instance). Maybe you can afford to live in Ballard, even though your job is in Redmond, because so many others can choose not to, without having to pay a fortune for a postage-stamp apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area