Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 AM

634 posts, read 897,563 times

Advertisements

Due to homesickness I was perusing Wiki articles on Seattle history and came across the story of the 7 hills and when I clicked onto the Denny Hill article I ran across this baloney about how it is sometimes referred to as "the triangle" which must be new because my connections to the city go all the way back to the early 80s and I never heard of it.

I always thought "Denny Regrade" was a great conversation starter when hosting out of town guests, hinting at an historic and interesting past about the original hill as opposed to something mundane and boring like the triangle which says basically nothing.

I really hate to come off like an uptight Seattleite but how on God's green earth did this get started? Please tell me it was not invented by some real estate vulture that didn't think Regrade was fashionable/hip/fresh enough. "West Edge" is equally bad, this is one I have heard of. That area was always considered the market area, mention hill climb and everybody immediately knew what part of downtown you meant, I'm not sure if I directed somebody to the West Edge if they'd have any inkling as to what edge I was referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 11:01 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,874,077 times
It's actually quite rare to hear someone say "Denny Regrade", and usually it would tell me the person is a long time Seattleite. Afaik, they started phasing that out in the early 90s. Honestly, I'd be surprised if a lot of people knew what regrading means, and I notice a lot don't realize that there were much more hills in Seattle before... so in that sense, it would be an easy switch to "Triangle". There's a book somewhere out there that talks about the regrading history and has all these pictures. The pictures of the houses being held up with what looks like crates always stun a lot of people. One example you can sort of see here: HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History (second pix on right under the "hill hater" engineer).

Old 10-21-2013, 01:27 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,373,554 times
I use Denny Regrade and Denny Triangle all the time.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:13 PM

644 posts, read 1,188,382 times
A name like Denny Regrade can only last so long before everyone forgets there was a hill there.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:28 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,333,182 times
Never heard Denny Regrade, but triangle I have heard. Generally, though, everybody I've spoken to just calls it all downtown or refers to downtown areas by their intersections unless it's Belltown.

Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
Denny Regrade and Denny Triangle are slightly different things, I think. Regrade refers to how the hills were, well, re-graded long ago. Triangle is a specific set of blocks where 5th, 6th Westlake and such form a triangle to intersect Denny.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:24 AM

59 posts, read 52,672 times
It's an old versus new local speak on names. (Sorry, no offence to those who grew up in-between the two phrases)
But it's becoming less common to refer to the Denny area as the regrade because of the new developments, and an increasing association with the grid layout (thus the term "triangle").

Old 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
As Bellevue Native stated, the Denny Regrade and the Denny Triangle are two different places. The Triangle is from about 5th Avenue up to Boren, bounded by Denny Way and Olive Way. I think it's a stupid name, which borders "South lake Union" which also didn't used to be a place. Maybe it was, but nobody lived there. They lived in the Cascade Neighborhood, almost completely destroyed by progress.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:26 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,784,392 times
Quote:
As Bellevue Native stated, the Denny Regrade and the Denny Triangle are two different places. The Triangle is from about 5th Avenue up to Boren, bounded by Denny Way and Olive Way.
This has always been my understanding as well, and people that have referred to them seemed to be on the same page.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:51 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,345,532 times
So what's the difference between the Denny Regrade and Belltown? Is one bigger, or are they the same place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: