Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2021, 09:10 PM

17 posts, read 19,784 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have lived in NYC area from past 9 years and now considering moving to Seattle for 6 months or more (depending on the work situation). I have never lived/been to that part of the country. So thinking about taking an advantage of the current WFH situation to take a break and gain a different city experience.

I would appreciate if you can suggest a safe neighborhoood to rent a 1 BR apartment within a range of $1500-$1800/pm. I might bring my car (but it depends on commutability). Some members have suggested Pikes Place, Capital Hill, Belltown in other posts, as these places can help see various attractions and feel the vibe of the city.

If things go well and I feel that I fit in the city, I might extend my stay and find a job locally (if I am fortunate enough).

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2021, 01:36 AM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
For more of a "New York" feel: Capitol Hill (Pike-Pine or Broadway), Belltown/Denny Regrade, Lower Queen Anne (Uptown), Pioneer Square, International District.

Also: U District, Ballard, Fremont.

Optimal for having a car, look north of 65th for older full-size apartments: Crown Hill/Loyal Heights, Greenwood/Bitter Lake, Green Lake, Northgate, Lake City.

Old 10-23-2021, 08:54 AM

Thanks a lot. That's very helpful.

I also like hiking and just the scenic view of the mountains. And I am sure Washington offers ton of those adventure activities.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:17 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,422,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonforum View Post

I also like hiking and just the scenic view of the mountains. And I am sure Washington offers ton of those adventure activities.
For scenic views, Queen Anne has lots of apartments with excellent views. So does parts of Capitol Hill. Depends on if you want to escape the NYC feel or continue it. If you want a change of pace, Queen Anne is better.

Last edited by Guineas; 10-23-2021 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-23-2021, 09:10 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonforum View Post

You’re right. Hiking and outdoor options are almost limitless. Pike/Pine area of Capitol Hill is probably the most similar to NYC, that’s what my “born in NYC” wifey says.

Old 10-24-2021, 10:54 AM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Zillow Apartments or similar are your friends.
Lots of new/old apartments but they come with LL and tenant issues.
Landlords are facing many tenant friendly conditions that will eventually force many small LL out and thus eventual higher rental pricing. We just sold our 2+2 rental in Eastlake.
Suggest you find something on the Eastside, near a major bus line, fairly close to a major grocer, employed company that gives you a subsidized OrcaCard.

Seattle's LL,must, offer the rental to the first applicant that meets criteria; thus your application needs to be early, with history, and verifiable, IOW,golden. You need to know where you want to be, and if you break a rental getting another apartment will be tough; So do extensive research.

Plenty of jobs. Whether they can meet your income needs is another question. Seattle and area is not inexpensive.

A personal car is not absolute. Lime scooters are everywhere. Bus and Link lightrail are very good (soundtransit.org, kingco.gov, onebusaway.org (app)). If you want to live in Seattle, get a granny cart, it's City living. If you have good mobility, take the walk, Lime scooter/assist bike, bus, Lyft/Uber. Personal cars are discouraged. Infill new apartment complexes are not required to have any parking slots.

Last edited by leastprime; 10-24-2021 at 11:14 AM..

Old 10-24-2021, 11:14 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Hard to recommend a neighborhood since you haven't really told us what you're looking for. A few thought on your end as to what you really want in a day-to-day neighborhood will be very helpful in making recommendations.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:30 PM

I am definitely considering Pike/Pine area of Capitol Hill and Queen Anne.

@Guineas The view from Kerry Park is mesmerizing.
I do like running in the morning/evening, so any place with a good 3-5 mile stretch for a run would be an awesome location.

@leastprime: Thanks for such great inputs. I am using Zillow for more research on apartments. I won't mind walking a few blocks for grocery or any shopping but I think I would prefer a car to drive out of the city for outdoor activities.

Also I work in Tech so I assume with a few months of interview preparation I might be able to able to apply for a decent local job.

@jabogitlu I don't want to live too far from the city but also want to enjoy the views and the natural beauty Seattle/WA offers.

Old 10-24-2021, 05:57 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Bus system is pretty good and with the app and trackings, the public transit system is very acceptable.
Using Light Rail and SoundTransit Express buses, you can get to rather far places rather easily.
Having a car in Seattle Cap Hill is not easy with a car. Better to be outside of area with parking and then take Link/Streetcar/bus into CapHill. It is a pretty good hike to CapHill/QueenAnne, if you live in the lower parts of Seattle.

I always recommend to rent for a few months to get an idea of where you want to live. Shared housing if you can.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:17 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,832 times
Having lived in Capitol Hill, (Upper) Queen Anne, and DT Seattle (also Bellevue and Redmond) - I think I would highly recommend ...

1. If you want to live in the city; Upper Queen Anne, it's the magical neighborhood. So many local amenities, but also a hop, skip and jump to downtown. It's a little world of its own with some of the most amazing views. There is a WONDERFUL running loop around the top. It's a lot easier than running in Capitol Hill. We moved from Upper Queen Anne to Cap Hill, and my husband and I used to to drive back to Queen Anne for that loop, and then brunch at the 5 Spot.

2. Have a car. Yes, pockets of Seattle have adequate-to-even-sorta-good public transit, but if you're really trying the place on for size, then you owe it to yourself to get out in those mountains, which literally start inside the Issaquah city limits. Go. Hiking. Go even if it's raining (there is no bad weather, just bad clothes). We also have snowshoeing and skiing (downhill and cross country) less than an hour from the middle of the city. There is no more breathtaking scenery anywhere, and it's so accessible compared to many metro areas - but you really need a car to get to much of it. We also have large areas of town that are not very transit accessible, and if you have to wait too long at cold, dark bus stops, you won't want to to get out and explore them. That would be a shame.

While we have a couple neighborhoods that are more 'urban', do consider other options. Why are you attracted to this area? Is it to live in the city? Or be closer to the mountains? It's fine if it's both, because that's actually doable here, but it's always a worthwhile exercise to examine who you are, how you've changed, and how far you want to get from your comfort zone. Life is a journey and we already know the destination - it's the path we take that makes things worthwhile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area