Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 03:27 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaHuey View Post
And what is the relationship of that 70% number with the "condition of African-Americans as a whole"??

I think it has a lot to do with "the condition of African-Americans as a whole"...

Agree?

That is what I was saying.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:27 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
That is what I was saying.
Then it's not really "a legacy of racism," rather, it's the men and women 150 years after slavery who have children without providing economic support for them, and/or do not stay together, driving each into harsher economic circumstances than they would have faced together. Personal responsibility goes a long way toward changing that trend.

So there is another explaination.

Glad we cleared that up.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Then it's not really "a legacy of racism," rather, it's the men and women 150 years after slavery who have children without providing economic support for them, and/or do not stay together, driving each into harsher economic circumstances than they would have faced together. Personal responsibility goes a long way toward changing that trend.

So there is another explaination.

Glad we cleared that up.
What I meant by the condition of African-Americans is the economic and social conditions compared to the rest of the population, and the legacy of racism has plenty to do with it. What I was meaning was the comparative economic and social issues as a result of the legacy of racism.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:00 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,059,327 times
Quote:
What I meant by the condition of African-Americans is the economic and social conditions compared to the rest of the population, and the legacy of racism has plenty to do with it. What I was meaning was the comparative economic and social issues as a result of the legacy of racism.
Yes. Racism did NOT end with slavery. We still had plenty of segregation and anti-miscegenation laws on the books just a few decades back. In fact, one lawyer I knew up there was working on having a deed on a land to some subdivision (in Lake forest park or Shoreline, can't remember which) changed that read that the homes couldn't be sold to black families. No one was enforcing the deed restrictions these days, but they were from the fifities and in the the Seattle area.

There was an interesting article I read a couple of years ago when I was working on a research project for a local agency there that discussed the difference between income and wealth. While there are many african americans that have commensurate incomes as white, they don't have the accumulated wealth because they're less likely to have experience an intergenerational transfer of wealth.

I'm not saying that single parenthood isn't a problem in promoting poverty, but to claim that's the only reason that as a group, blacks are not as financially secure as whites, as a group, is absurd. Having had friends that had trust funds or parents pay for their college and having had no help whatsoever because I come from a working class family, I can tell you, it makes a huge difference in opportunities available later on.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
BS. That's a crutch, a lame rhetorical excuse used by people who refuse to take one shred of responsibility for their own economic well-being. If you want to see the REAL cause, look a bit more closely at that 70% number.

Last edited by AlohaHuey; 08-19-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
BS. That's a crutch, a lame rhetorical excuse used by people who refuse to take one shred of responsibility for their own economic well-being. If you want to see the REAL cause, look a bit more closely at that 70% number.
That is only PART of the cause. There are many other things to consider. Questions are, where did this come from? How long has this been around?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
To Alohahuey:

Youre joking right? I agree with pirate_lafitte's recent responses in this thread.

You seem completely ignorant of social issues in the past and dont understand how certain social issues manifests into other issues.

And a lot of people that are black do take responsibility for their own economic well-being. You sound so ignorant and racist its ridiculous.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
That is only PART of the cause. There are many other things to consider. Questions are, where did this come from? How long has this been around?
More smoke-screen.

Sorry, it's a MAJOR cause. Two family earners will generally live better than single-parent households. You're attempting to give the runouts a free pass by clouding the issue with nebulous rhetorical fluff.

The REASONS men abandon their children and the women with whom they have them, are complex...but the economic realities of that decision are indesputable.

If everyone took RESPONSIBILITY (oh, there's that word again) for providing for their offspring, there would be not only a more stable economic household, but probably a more stable and well-adjusted generation of kids, too.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Alohahuey:

Youre joking right? I agree with pirate_lafitte's recent responses in this thread.

You seem completely ignorant of social issues in the past and dont understand how certain social issues manifests into other issues.

And a lot of people that are black do take responsibility for their own economic well-being. You sound so ignorant and racist its ridiculous.

You sound like the consummate excuse-maker.

The numbers say a lot of African-American men DO NOT take responsibility for their own well-being, when compared to other races. Sorry, those are the facts. If pirate want to see why the economic conditions are worse for African-Americans, that number is a HELL of a good place to start.

Running out on your offspring in 2010 doesn't have JACK SH** to do with the 1960's. How dare you assume I'm some sort of racist... you can jam the broad brush whith which you paint me in your you-know-where.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:25 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,597,852 times
Here is one nugget of info that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot: Bill Russell, the legendary NBA player, found Boston to be a very racist city, and he settled down in the Seattle area (Mercer Island), partially because of the accepting racial climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area