Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 18,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I grew up in Wisconsin and most people are very progressive but also slightly racist, including myself. When you grow up in Milwaukee, which is about 20% white and also one of the poorest, most violent cities in America, it is just hard not to be. ANYWAYZ:

How is Seattle in this regard? If I moved to Seattle, should I expect to be ostracized for comments that might be considered racially insensitive?

the police are about as racist as they come, you may want to join the force.

I also grew up in Wisconsin, can't wait to get out of Seattle. you'd probably hate it here. A lot of pretentious people here. you won't find many liquor stores, and they close early. Not open on sundays. 90% of all drivers do not understand this sign: "Keep right except to pass"

It's filled with pseudo-liberals that are more interested in lining their pockets than helping others.

Look into other areas of the country - the weather here is horrible.....you get about 10 days of real summer per year. It's the end of July and my furnace kicked in this morning.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:35 AM

8 posts, read 30,626 times
OK I lived in the Seattle area/suburb. I moved from Phoenix, but before that I lived in small town WA. Where you rarely see any african americans or anyone else other than white's really. When I moved to Seattle, the first job I got I worked with an African american and a latino. I would say we got along fine and we really never had any problems. We worked well together, and we hung out after work sometimes. It was fun, I hope this helps with your question

Old 08-09-2011, 03:17 AM

2 posts, read 18,639 times
Default Don't move there

There are a lot of racists in Seattle, and they don't like Asian and African American. White guy only like Asian girl for enjoy. They are such a low level people. Seattle is the most terrible racist city in the states.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyjsp1 View Post
There are a lot of racists in Seattle, and they don't like Asian and African American. White guy only like Asian girl for enjoy. They are such a low level people. Seattle is the most terrible racist city in the states.
... did a white guy steal your girlfriend or something?

Old 08-12-2011, 02:54 AM

291 posts, read 689,112 times
On the surface, Seattle people are very politically correct. However, many Seattle people are what I would call "Closet Racist". They won't say anything to your face. Heck, they might not even say anything behind your back. Lots of Seattle people are passive agressive and act super politically correct yet at the end of the day they can be just as racist as a couple of good ole boys at a NASCAR race. It's all kind of bs if you ask me.

Last edited by FantasyFootballGuy; 08-12-2011 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: Made a correction.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:09 AM

3 posts, read 20,264 times
I've lived all over the US, now in the Northwest for 14 years. In my experience, racism in Seattle is about like it is in Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco or anywhere else I've lived, which means that about 90% of it is in the eye of the beholder. This is a great lesson for you to learn: Wherever you move, you'll take most of the "racism" with you, packed away neatly inside your brain along with all your other preconceptions and fears.

This isn't a poke at you personally - it's just the way the human mind works. If someone doesn't like us it's much more pleasant to lay it off on THEM. "It must be because I'm (pick-your-color/race/religion/gender). It couldn't possibly be that they dislike me because I'm an unlikeable, nasty, suspicious, unpleasant, greedy, untrustworthy, selfish or whatever (fill-in-the-adjective) PERSON!"

...and everyone does this. "I'm treated this way because I'm short" (or tall), or "...because I'm fat" (or skinny), or "...because I'm not wearing the right clothes" (or too fashionable), or "...because I'm bald" (or not bald), or "...because I speak with an accent" (or don't) etc. Our racist presumptions are just another example of our mind's uncanny ability to twist reality.

And we ascribe motives to people we don't even know (of course, if they did this to US, it would be "racism"!). So, if the waiter takes the order from the other table before ours when we were seated first, it couldn't possibly be that they simply made a mistake. Oh, no - it's because we're (pick-your-color, etc.). If someone gives us an "unpleasant" look, it couldn't be because they just had an ulcer pain. Oh, no. It's because we're...

As a member of a "protected class" myself, I feel entitled to tell you to figure out your own part in the "racism equation" and eliminate that, which will take care of most of your "racism" problems, believe me. The very fact that you asked the question in the first place tells me that you need this advice very badly. Oh - and another thing. Don't hang out with or listen to anyone who wants to promote a "racism" agenda. They're not your friends. They are the "masters" who keep us down on the "plantation", even while they pretend to have OUR interests at heart. They claim to do good, but what they mean is that they do themselves good by promoting the "racist mindset". And I mean, they do themselves REAL good by making sure you NEED them. Well, no you don't. This really isn't the 1860s anymore, and society is very different. Why don't you shake off your master's chains, repudiate their agenda, and simply participate in life like a lot of the rest of us are doing? For every actual racist I run across, there's a thousand who aren't - and I think those are pretty good odds, don't you?

"It ain't what we don't know that's the problem. It's what we DO know that ain't so!" Stop looking for the underground railroad to carry you away from whatever "racist hellhole" you're living in.

Last edited by Battlespeed; 08-12-2011 at 04:00 AM..

Old 08-15-2011, 01:57 AM

304 posts, read 851,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlespeed View Post
I've lived all over the US, now in the Northwest for 14 years. In my experience, racism in Seattle is about like it is in Chicago, Kansas City, San Francisco or anywhere else I've lived, which means that about 90% of it is in the eye of the beholder. This is a great lesson for you to learn: Wherever you move, you'll take most of the "racism" with you, packed away neatly inside your brain along with all your other preconceptions and fears.

This isn't a poke at you personally - it's just the way the human mind works. If someone doesn't like us it's much more pleasant to lay it off on THEM. "It must be because I'm (pick-your-color/race/religion/gender). It couldn't possibly be that they dislike me because I'm an unlikeable, nasty, suspicious, unpleasant, greedy, untrustworthy, selfish or whatever (fill-in-the-adjective) PERSON!"

...and everyone does this. "I'm treated this way because I'm short" (or tall), or "...because I'm fat" (or skinny), or "...because I'm not wearing the right clothes" (or too fashionable), or "...because I'm bald" (or not bald), or "...because I speak with an accent" (or don't) etc. Our racist presumptions are just another example of our mind's uncanny ability to twist reality.

And we ascribe motives to people we don't even know (of course, if they did this to US, it would be "racism"!). So, if the waiter takes the order from the other table before ours when we were seated first, it couldn't possibly be that they simply made a mistake. Oh, no - it's because we're (pick-your-color, etc.). If someone gives us an "unpleasant" look, it couldn't be because they just had an ulcer pain. Oh, no. It's because we're...

As a member of a "protected class" myself, I feel entitled to tell you to figure out your own part in the "racism equation" and eliminate that, which will take care of most of your "racism" problems, believe me. The very fact that you asked the question in the first place tells me that you need this advice very badly. Oh - and another thing. Don't hang out with or listen to anyone who wants to promote a "racism" agenda. They're not your friends. They are the "masters" who keep us down on the "plantation", even while they pretend to have OUR interests at heart. They claim to do good, but what they mean is that they do themselves good by promoting the "racist mindset". And I mean, they do themselves REAL good by making sure you NEED them. Well, no you don't. This really isn't the 1860s anymore, and society is very different. Why don't you shake off your master's chains, repudiate their agenda, and simply participate in life like a lot of the rest of us are doing? For every actual racist I run across, there's a thousand who aren't - and I think those are pretty good odds, don't you?

"It ain't what we don't know that's the problem. It's what we DO know that ain't so!" Stop looking for the underground railroad to carry you away from whatever "racist hellhole" you're living in.
While I agree with most of what you said, I think it bears stating that there really are some cities and towns out there that are more overtly racist than others. I was told that I "knew my place" in a city down south because I got up to leave a restaurant after a white guy told my Asian friends to go back to Asia. In this same city a white woman told me at church that I should go to a different church across town that the black people went to because I should feel more comfortable there. Those types of incidents wouldn't happen in Seattle.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
While I agree with most of what you said, I think it bears stating that there really are some cities and towns out there that are more overtly racist than others. I was told that I "knew my place" in a city down south because I got up to leave a restaurant after a white guy told my Asian friends to go back to Asia. In this same city a white woman told me at church that I should go to a different church across town that the black people went to because I should feel more comfortable there. Those types of incidents wouldn't happen in Seattle.
Very true.

I call BS on the "behind the back racism" that supposedly exists here in Seattle. I've never experienced it. Hell there's white dudes dating black girls here. There's asian dudes dating black girls here. There's black dudes with asian girlfriends here. And on and on it goes.

Back in Chicago, when I brought home my first non-white girlfriend (she was Chinese), the first questions were:

"How old is she?" (supposedly they look young and I guess they do maybe ...)

"Are her boobs fake?" (she had full D's ... and no, they weren't fake ... but I guess ALL asian women have tiny boobs right? *groan*)

"Can she use silverware?" (umm HELLO, the world is very modern now!, freaking hell China is more rich than we are now and LOVE western foods)

"She speaks real good English, are you sure she's not a spy?" (because obviously I'm chopped liver and is obviously going after me because I'm working for a defense contractor and that's it, and all asians must talk like 'me rikey u! rove u long time! herro!' right? **** already)

Don't get me started when I was starting to date a black girl. Holy moly. I thought my grandmother was going to have a second heart attack.

Even in St. Louis my friends were all like "how come you like asian girls?"

Seattle's tolerance and acceptance of PEOPLE for WHO THEY ARE makes everywhere else I've ever been (which has been a very large slice of the world) PALE IN COMPARISON, except Canada and Brazil.

Even in Japan, when visiting my wife's family, I was told her dad initially rejected me but ended liking me because we like cars and we like airplanes as do I. They aren't as forward as Americans, far too polite, but I have a feeling that the glances we've gotten would indicate that if we were to move there (something I've been considering ore and more lately) we'd alienate ourselves to some degree because of the inherent racism there.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 PM

29 posts, read 103,926 times
Default Politically-Correct Seattle, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
I grew up in Wisconsin and most people are very progressive but also slightly racist, including myself. When you grow up in Milwaukee, which is about 20% white and also one of the poorest, most violent cities in America, it is just hard not to be. ANYWAYZ:

How is Seattle in this regard? If I moved to Seattle, should I expect to be ostracized for comments that might be considered racially insensitive?

Seattle is VERY politically-correct!
The whole left coat is.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:44 PM

6 posts, read 23,900 times
im white and hail from alabama to get away from alot of the bad crap that goes down there . lucky for me here I can get black , Asian , middle eastern girlfriend and race is never an issue . I heard Seattle was like so laid back and had less race driven hate and coming here from alabama I see mixed couple everywhere which is wonderfull . I have met some whites and blacks from the south that have nothing but bad things to say about Seattles " race issue" that is because they are racist.

Since you state you are racist why not move somewhere else were you can hang out with other racist ? I sick of running into stupid hicks here . They sneak up and surprise you cause ya dont expect them to pop up with their stupidity .

Im here having an awesome time snowboarding and bicycling around my city checking out beautiful woman of every color and mixing with them . I say NO RACE ISSUES HERE . thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area