Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 06:47 PM

188 posts, read 938,653 times

Advertisements

I love reading thru threads like this. I lived in Seattle for 3 years and it was a great place to live and a great place to raise a family. Racism exists in every city in the U.S. I would recommend prior to moving anywhere in the U.S. visit several times prior to moving there to see if the area fits to your needs and requirements.

Good Luck...

Old 09-20-2012, 05:16 AM

43 posts, read 87,288 times
Quote:
Still if these same black people have several millions of dollars behind them, they would be treated like any well regarded and respected member of higher society. This would be done REGARDLESS of race. you have to understand the connotation behind race is that it matters more than anything. It clearly doesn't. Give a black man millions, and he's treated like a white man with millions. no difference really.
You are confusing the tolerance brought about by capitalist greed with other kinds of respect and acceptance. People still talk behind closed doors.

It's your call as to whether or not that's good enough for you. But at least don't pretend that having that money makes people less or more racist in their reactions toward people of color -- it doesn't.

And the state of pay averages in this country says so. If you're blind to 'just plain' racism, maybe you can see racism when it shows up in pay grades:

Quote:
The female-to-male earnings ratio varied by race and ethnicity. Black women earned 92.2
percent as much as their male counterparts, compared with Hispanic (87.5 percent), white (78.7
percent), and Asian women (70.6 percent). (See table 2.)

 Among the major race and ethnicity groups, median weekly earnings for black men working full
time were $668, or 75.0 percent of the median for white men ($891). The difference was smaller
among women, as black women's median weekly earnings ($616) were 87.9 percent of those for
white women ($701). Overall, median weekly earnings of Hispanics who worked full time ($576)
were lower than those of blacks ($637), whites ($792), and Asians ($930). (See table 2.)
I pulled that data from a government database -- the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Feel free to check it out: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/wkyeng.pdf

Quote:
One cannot be financially poor without being mentally poor.
I take issue with this statement, too. One certainly can. And if I were any one of the millions of presently poor individuals in this country who have been slammed by economic factors beyond their control, I would be pretty angry about being insulted like that.

You say you're a black person from the ghetto as though that makes you an expert, but you sound REALLY out of touch with issues I've watched my own friends dealing with all their lives -- black or latino and disadvantaged by race, or white or any other color and poor for reasons well beyond their control...people who work hard, are driven, educated, and still get caught under the wheels of this country's economy.

I'm glad that you don't feel discriminated against. Really, sincerely -- I am.

Your experience is just not universal.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 AM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,260 times
Branh, if you were just referring about the Seattle area in all of your statements, you might have some credibility. I honestly suggest going back to Atlanta, or just about any city east of the Mississippi river, to see how this country really works. And no, the ATL having some credit-riding bourgie faux black upper middle class means nothing, especially if they feel the need to self-segregate.

But I will give you this: the biggest challenge to blacks who are actually trying to make something out of themselves are other blacks. Even in black meccas where most of them are supposedly "middle class", many of them will, at best, put out some sort of attitude and spew out the "you're an Uncle Tom" line.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:56 PM

31 posts, read 67,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
If I had more time, I would thought this out more. However, I have had a night to sleep on this. And this is what I have to say.

You say there is nothing that can be done with how Blacks are seen until the crime rate is down. You are looking at me as if the crime rate is my fault or something. Middle class Black people like me can’t do anything about the crime rate, other than react to crime. Why? Think about where alot of us middle class Black people live. Then think about where most of these thugs live and do their dirty work. Middle class Black people do everything they can to avoid the thug element. We know that such an element of the population would basically be weak links, kryptonite basically. You say until the Black crime rate drops, the perception of Blacks will continue to be bad. Well, there is not much I can do about some hood rat committing crime. If we are not living around that hood rat element, how can we stop them from committing crimes?
When I leave the state of Georgia, I want to live in a place where I don’t have to deal with hood rats of any race.
Second, I don’t think it is fair for me to suffer for the crimes that were committed by Black people. I’m obeying the laws and trying to be a contributor to society. Why should I suffer because criminals who happen to look like me are committing crimes? I’m only asking “Why should I”? I’m not asking “why will I”, “why am I” or “when will things get better”. I only want the answer to “Why should I be treated unfairly”? That is what I am asking.
You are showing statistics. However, you are showing statistics for a “group”. You are not taking into account individuals. I showed you before that even with the astronomical crime rates, the majority of Blacks are not committing those crimes.

If you are proposing that Black people should be avoided, then I have questions for you:
1) How does this help Black people participate in this society?
2) Where does this leave Black people if everyone avoids them?

None of these questions are rhetorical. I’m asking them (all of them) because I’m looking for answers.
And as for me, this is how I think. I don’t pay that much attention to statistics. I am aware of them. However, how I deal with people is on the individual level. From my own personal experiences, I have dealt with some bad White people. I’ve been harassed, assaulted (paintball shooting, rocks thrown at me), and even my parents property was vandalized by some White people where I live. It was done particularly by two segments of the White people, skaters and rednecks. Does this mean I avoid all White people? No I don’t. I take people as individuals. Same goes with Black people. According to your statistics, you could argue that even Black people should avoid each other. How does that help Black people? It wasn’t just some White people causing problems for me. I was also teased by some Black kids for “acting White”. Guess what? I judge by individual merit. I don’t think badly of all Black people. I stick around the good and avoid hood rats.

I think the way I do about black people based on personal experience, and statistics. I personally have found no I dont want relationships with most black people, I think I am safer that way. I am not a white supremacist, and I am not mean to black people...What should you do about black people out committing crime? I dont know, stay away from them just like I do...Why should you,or black people be treated unfairly? I dont think you should be treated unfairly. Sorry you were the victim of racism when you were a kid, but kids do alot of stupid things for stupid reasons. As for black people as a whole being treated unfairly,I dont think they are. The only way I can see black people are treated differently from white people anymore are by the cops, and I think the cops profile them because they committ most of the crimes just like ive stated before...I am not trying to better my race relations. I have as little interaction w them as possible. I think a real good question a white person could ask any black person, is why is there never talk of black people on white people racism? Like if a white person came on citydata and asked "How is racism in Harlem?" lol. People would laugh at that question. White people dont play the "race card" for the same reason we arent out commiting crime in mass, and that is because we arent weak minded. If another person doesnt want a relationship w you because of your skin color, then move on. Who cares?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:07 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestVsEast View Post
I think the way I do about black people based on personal experience, and statistics. I personally have found no I dont want relationships with most black people, I think I am safer that way. I am not a white supremacist, and I am not mean to black people...What should you do about black people out committing crime? I dont know, stay away from them just like I do...Why should you,or black people be treated unfairly? I dont think you should be treated unfairly. Sorry you were the victim of racism when you were a kid, but kids do alot of stupid things for stupid reasons. As for black people as a whole being treated unfairly,I dont think they are. The only way I can see black people are treated differently from white people anymore are by the cops, and I think the cops profile them because they committ most of the crimes just like ive stated before...I am not trying to better my race relations. I have as little interaction w them as possible. I think a real good question a white person could ask any black person, is why is there never talk of black people on white people racism? Like if a white person came on citydata and asked "How is racism in Harlem?" lol. People would laugh at that question. White people dont play the "race card" for the same reason we arent out commiting crime in mass, and that is because we arent weak minded. If another person doesnt want a relationship w you because of your skin color, then move on. Who cares?
So basically, it doesn't matter to you what MY personal merit is to you.

Well, you and me think differently. I can't stay away from all Black people because I do have Black friends who aren't trouble makers. I can tell the difference between the trouble makers and the decent people. And if Black people avoided each other, and then everyone else avoided them, who would Black people have to talk to?

As for racism I experienced as a child, I can tell you this. Kids learn these stupid things from their parents, so I don't look at it as "stupid". It has shaped alot of anxiety I have, especially when I meet people with views similar to yours.

I can't do anything about you because you have already made your mind up that I, as a Black person, am no good, despite all I'm trying to educate you on.

And unlike some people, I don't mind talking about racist attitudes some Blacks have for Whites. I can say this. Many Black people have alot of anger because of what was done to them while living in this nation. Why don't Blacks use the race card as much? Well, maybe because White people pretty much run this country. Blacks from day one have been treated like crap.

Who cares? I care. I care alot because of the things that were done to me. I care because despite the fact that this is 2012, I still run into bigoted people. I care because my grandparents' generation fought to end such attitudes and racism, and yet, it still lives on today.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:31 PM

31 posts, read 67,568 times
Quote:

Well, you and me think differently. I can't stay away from all Black people because I do have Black friends who aren't trouble makers. I can tell the difference between the trouble makers and the decent people. And if Black people avoided each other, and then everyone else avoided them, who would Black people have to talk to?

As for racism I experienced as a child, I can tell you this. Kids learn these stupid things from their parents, so I don't look at it as "stupid". It has shaped alot of anxiety I have, especially when I meet people with views similar to yours.

I can't do anything about you because you have already made your mind up that I, as a Black person, am no good, despite all I'm trying to educate you on.

And unlike some people, I don't mind talking about racist attitudes some Blacks have for Whites. I can say this. Many Black people have alot of anger because of what was done to them while living in this nation. Why don't Blacks use the race card as much? Well, maybe because White people pretty much run this country. Blacks from day one have been treated like crap.

Who cares? I care. I care alot because of the things that were done to me. I care because despite the fact that this is 2012, I still run into bigoted people. I care because my grandparents' generation fought to end such attitudes and racism, and yet, it still lives on today.
I never said that black people, or you were "no good". Thats always where the racism question or comments go, "the evil white man says im no good". No, I said I dont want relationships w most black people based on personal experience and statistics. How I decide I want to live my life is not your problem. What I can tell you is I think alot of the racism black people think is going on these days is in their heads. Sometimes I think I get discriminated on for being to good looking, but im sure thats just in my head. I think most people are just like me in being tired of the "race card", and the racism questions. Be smart enough to not waste your mental energy on someone discriminating on you for something as stupid as skin color.Trust me I dont waste my energy when i'm discriminated against lol...If the question wasn't asked I wouldnt have had to share my opinion.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 7,415 times
Quote:
Still if these same black people have several millions of dollars behind them, they would be treated like any well regarded and respected member of higher society. This would be done REGARDLESS of race. you have to understand the connotation behind race is that it matters more than anything. It clearly doesn't. Give a black man millions, and he's treated like a white man with millions. no difference really.
Wow, wow, AND wow...

...now THAT'S rich. You're basing this on....?

I can speak on THIS first hand.

I've found that SOME white people hate me MORE because of my financial status. Not just that, you know how many back-handed compliments I've received?

Them: Did you win the lottery?
Me: In a way. My grandfather was extremely intelligent, and very enterprising - and that seems to have rubbed off on a few of my family members, myself included. So, you could say I won the genetic lottery.

Them: Do you play basketball?
Me: In my spare time ... and you?

Them: Are you a rapper?
Me: I wish! Who WOULDN'T want to be used by major record labels to influence the youth into extreme materialism and all other types of criminal and degenerate activity?

I'm 32 years-old, AA, and don't even have as much as a parking ticket. I tried to get into five co-ops in Manhattan, and those people were as intrusive as one could imagine a co-op board would be, and I was denied all five times.

Now, it can be argued people are denied all the time. When I would ask why I was denied, no one could give me a straight answer. A few even sounded nervous. Maybe they thought if they didn't mince words, I'd *** bak wid da homies and shoot up da joint wit my nine!!

Now, this wouldn't be much of a tale if I didn't get GLOWING references. One of my previous landlord's said, "He is very pleasant, and as quiet as a church mouse. Never had an issue in the entire two years". I didn't even pay them to say that with the money from my drug profits.

Interestingly enough, I'm IN the Seattle forum because I was told by a friend, 'If you want to be judged by who you are and not the color of your skin, move to Seattle. It is predominantly white, but that won't matter there like in overpriced New York and the south"

Lo and behold, I entered this thread and confirmed they were right!

Black affluence is met with suspicion by a lot of white people. Now, now, now ... let me be clear: I don't believe all white people hate the ground I walk on. I've met more than a few that have made me feel like they thought I was an actual person worthy of respect, and not a field hand who shouldn't dare 'get out of line'.

At the same time, I do BIG business, and I can honestly say I've faced more BLATANT racism amongst the 1% than I did when I dealt with the 99%. I've been called derogatory names so many that I've built up an immunity. Hell, it's even funny.

I understand the psychology behind the racism of the 1%, though. Come on, people, let's cut the crap - white people run the show, and I can imagine white supremacy is freakin' SWEET. Hey, sometimes I wish I were white. With my drive and ambition, and white ancestry, I could become Rockefeller rich.

I could attend an Ivy League and not have people tell me I got in because I'm an underepresented minority.

- Imagine not being deemed unintelligent based purely on your skin color.

- Imagine having TV networks cater to things you like, and not being a token character on major network television. Not only that, imagine not being told your people are racist because, even though their demographic is largely ignored, you actually have a handful of cable networks that cater to your demographic.

Look people, maybe in some bizarre alternate reality where many of you appear to reside, the ills of the black community aren't the result of marginalization, manipulation, INFILTRATION, and all sorts of underhanded behavior that have affected us on a large scale. As I've done on other forums, I could provided documented evidence for days on ends of how, on the GOVERNMENT level, the black community has been victimized. You've even had white people who worked for these different agencies come out and admit it...

..and some have even enjoyed an endless vacation because of their courage, because none of their family members have heard or seen from them since!

Some black people play the race card entirely too much, yes. Believe me, I've pointed out to black people on more than one occasion. Rest assured racism IS a scapegoat at times. Yes, yes, AND yes. However, the card EXISTS for a reason. To this VERY day, there are still no shortage of things that occur in this country that reminds black people that they are no better than third class citizens. I say THIRD CLASS, because white male privilege is unmatched. If it wasn't, the feminist movement wouldn't have been necessary.

But, I'm sure I've said enough. These things never end well, because I've noticed racists have a NEED to deny, AT ANY AND ALL COSTS, that racism is a factor in this day and age. Is sexism dead? Women would have a FIT if that was even suggested. Is homophobia dead? Homosexuals would have a field day if someone said that. Is classism dead? Heh. But racism is dead?

Ha. Riiiight. We're supposed to TAKE it, and shut up about it, right?

I get it, you all don't want to look into the past and acknowledge how this country was 'acquired', and all the 'things' that have happened since then to maintain your position of dominance. Hell, you're human too. Who wants to think about any of that? That's what being called racists does to many white people. It brings up things that you'd prefer to forget all about. It suggests that your dominance is purely because you're just better.

I get it. I really do.

But, keep in mind, I'm not talking about all white people. Black people wouldn't be in the position to do the things they CAN do if it weren't for abolitionists, and whites in power who used said power to give us a fighting chance at justice if wronged, and a chance to provide for our families.

At the end of the day, though - the playing field is laughably unleveled, and to suggest otherwise is the height of delusion.

Good day.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
I never said that black people, or you were "no good". Thats always where the racism question or comments go, "the evil white man says im no good". No, I said I dont want relationships w most black people based on personal experience and statistics. How I decide I want to live my life is not your problem. What I can tell you is I think alot of the racism black people think is going on these days is in their heads. Sometimes I think I get discriminated on for being to good looking, but im sure thats just in my head. I think most people are just like me in being tired of the "race card", and the racism questions. Be smart enough to not waste your mental energy on someone discriminating on you for something as stupid as skin color.Trust me I dont waste my energy when i'm discriminated against lol...If the question wasn't asked I wouldnt have had to share my opinion.
Well, I disagree with you one certain things. Alot of racism that I see it hidden. It is politically(and morally) incorrect to call someone the N word or to tell someone "no Blacks need apply". However, there are other ways around this. Racism still exists out there. It has just gone underground.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:

Very good response to some ugly comments.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Like if a white person came on citydata and asked "How is racism in Harlem?" lol. People would laugh at that question.
I'm white and have been to Harlem plenty of times. Some of my favorite restaurants are there. Family friends live there. Experienced no racism. Have you?

I live in a city that is 2/3s black and have for years. Experienced no racism.

There are certain people who have their mind made up about an interaction with someone else baced on their race before that interaction even begins. A rude cashier becomes a racist rude cashier. It's not a good look no matter who is ringing up whom.

I am hopeful your progeny are, or will be, a bit more open-minded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area