Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:41 PM

9 posts, read 24,103 times

Advertisements

Looking for a better life... would you move? Is Seattle a better version of SF? I am so bored here. I can't stand it. I want warmer people, cleaner streets and less people, more things to do, less expensive homes. Please offer any advice if you have moved from SF to Seattle. I have visited a few times and love it, except for the weather. Is it that bad always? some things are worth putting up with i guess

What are the stats on k-12?

Many thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 02:47 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,776,410 times
What isn't there to do in SF that you wish there was to do? I can't imagine being bored there.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:50 PM

its boring, everyone seems to be an alcoholic, or obsessed about their highlights, or really ghetto. i know this is pessimistic, but everything is starbucks, nordstroms, etc cookie cutter or 70's ghetto homes. If i go to one more art&wine festival i will puke. they are all the same. Too many druggies here, too much nightlife focus. I want cleaner, more wholesome, nicer people, healthier...

Old 07-25-2008, 02:53 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyssocute View Post
Looking for a better life... would you move? Is Seattle a better version of SF? I am so bored here. I can't stand it. I want warmer people.
Oh man, are you ever considering the wrong place to move to... Look at that sticky thread on the "Seattle Freeze".

I personally wouldn't recommend moving from ANYWHERE to Seattle, though. You have family too... they are going to resent you.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:55 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
You also have a myriad of psychological issues (this is not a personal attack, you yourself have stated this), so I would probably take your opinion with a grain of salt

Old 07-25-2008, 03:10 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
Never heard of 'em, up here.

Quote:
but everything is starbucks, nordstroms,

Old 07-25-2008, 03:28 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
its boring, everyone seems to be an alcoholic, or obsessed about their highlights, or really ghetto. i know this is pessimistic, but everything is starbucks, nordstroms, etc cookie cutter or 70's ghetto homes. If i go to one more art&wine festival i will puke. they are all the same. Too many druggies here, too much nightlife focus. I want cleaner, more wholesome, nicer people, healthier...
This is Starbucks and Nordstrom country here...both of them originated right here in Seattle. The very first Starbucks store is in the Pike Place Market, and Nordstrom had its flagship store here...

Old 07-25-2008, 03:44 PM

Right, but would you say the quality of living is better in seattle? nicer neighborhoods, etc?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:16 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
You also have a myriad of psychological issues (this is not a personal attack, you yourself have stated this), so I would probably take your opinion with a grain of salt
Another good reason you shouldn't move here. Chances are I would have turned out a lot more "normal" if I lived somewhere else. You might develop some psychological issues yourself.

Having neurological disorders doesn't make me any less of a person. Discriminating against the handicapped... guess who you're reminding me of.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:59 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Quote:
Is Seattle a better version of SF?
No. Seattle is a perfect Seattle, and is not like San Francisco.

I am so bored here. I can't stand it.
Then it sounds as though you need to get out more, stretch your mind, move your legs, get a hobby, do things that make your heart sing, and start living your life.

warmer people
See the thread on the "Seattle freeze". We don't have warm people here. We even have large dangerous trolls that can devour VW Beetles living under bridges.

cleaner streets
Okay, we have clean streets.

fewer people
Per what? Square mile? Square foot?

more things to do
Given the large population of SF and the small population of Seattle, there are far fewer "things to do" in Seattle.

less expensive homes.
HA! You jest! Real estate prices are way high here!

the weather. Is it that bad always?
Yes. Some parts of 6 weeks in summer are sunny and warm. The rest of the year it's cold, rainy, cloudy and dark here. People who don't like cold, rainy, cloudy and dark kvetch loudly, constantly and repetitively until they can move somewhere else.

nice neighborhoods
Seattle neighborhoods are crowded and noisy and there's no place to park.

alcoholics
There are alcoholics here. After all, the weather, you know...

obsessed about their highlights
Why just today a neighbor and another neighbor and I were talking about another neighbor's highlights.

starbucks
There's one on almost every street here. Seattle was where Starbucks was born, and is the corporate HQ.

nordstrom
Nordstrom is big here; there's a store in almost every mall. Seattle was where Nordstrom was born. It is said that women who live in Bellevue get up in the morning and bow toward Nordstrom... I suppose this would now include women who live in Snoqualmie Ridge and Issaquah Highlands?

cookie cutter homes
Yes, we have many many new residential developments with these.

ghetto homes
You should see the old 19th century and early 20th century houses here!

art and wine festivals
We have these constantly, especially every Thursday. The world-famous vineyards are just a few miles out of town, so can you blame folks?

druggies
Well, we do have some. The weather, you know...

nightlife focus
In Seattle city limits, there's lots of this. In the suburbs, there's basically nothing. In the rural areas, there's darkness.
Hope that helps!

Last edited by allforcats; 07-25-2008 at 08:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area