Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 08:22 PM

1,930 posts, read 6,534,588 times

Advertisements

I grew up about 4 hours south of the Twin Cities for the first 18 years of my life in NW Iowa. I would say MN-SP has a similar feel to Seattle. Better weather in Seattle...nothing is as bad as 55 below with wind chill and 6 feet of snow. It's just more temperate. It is gray but my guess is you will not have trouble adjusting. I did only because I came from TX which is way different. Had I moved here from the Midwest, I would think the weather is great. Summers are gorgeous (July, August and Sept were great IMO this year). And you will love this...very few mosquitoes if any!! The Twin Cities has great water sports as does Seattle but you also have mtns here so you get some skiing with the snow...which by the way does not affect Seattle much. If it snows, it melts. Snow stays in the mtns. Housing market - Seattle home prices have dropped less than many other places in the country but they have still dropped and will go back up due to having water on one side, mtns on the other. Eventually they will go back up for that fact of limited supply. If you are willing to look outside of Seattle proper, the public schools are very good in Mercer Island, Bellevue, Lake Washington and Issaquah school districts. We have not had an issue with public transport and my husband takes it everyday from Sammamish to downtown. I don't know the traffic patterns of MN-SP but I don't think the traffic in Seattle is any worse than any other major city I have worked or lived in which includes Atlanta, DC, Denver, Dallas, Chicago, LA and San Fran. In fact, I think it's better than most of those cities. I haven't found people to be unfriendly here but they are reserved. All in all, a beautiful and enjoyable place to live. If you want to move, this would definitely be in the Top 3 of any list I'd have (which is why I am here!)

Old 10-02-2008, 08:35 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
because a lot of people exaggerate how Seattle has 5 sunny days a year. I like the weather but people who hate it exaggerate a lot. Of course this is not even close to the truth
I may exaggerate about this, but I never say there are only 5 sunny days a year.

...it's more like 8.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,863 times
Quote:
Don't come to Seattle. It has the worst weather in the world. It is cloudy 363 days a year, it rains 361 days a year, it is sunny just once in July and once in August
LOL, you just don't want any new ppl to move to Seattle...I lived in the west side of the state for over 20 years...it does rain, but then again the summers are beautiful and well worth the wait...so you get web feet, what's wrong with that...good luck on your decision...

Old 10-02-2008, 09:51 PM

161 posts, read 560,030 times
I agree with IRA,the last best pizza place was on the south end of Broadway just past Seattle U. Joshing aside,the weather could keep people away. Some don't mind and instead take mini breaks to Cali and Hawaii to see the sun. For me it is the weather and the traffic. It is a bit more expensive to live here though. Sorry I cannot compare it to your city since Ive never visited. The best thing to do is come for a visit.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:29 AM

359 posts, read 1,312,425 times
Default C'mon is that really true?

Seriously, I don't think what you posted is REALLY true now is it?
Quote:
Don't come to Seattle. It has the worst weather in the world. It is cloudy 363 days a year, it rains 361 days a year, it is sunny just once in July and once in August

Old 10-03-2008, 03:26 AM

300 posts, read 1,211,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepingTheNation View Post
I read posts like this and wonder if this is someone who is trying to sway population density or if they really hate the weather? I was is seattle for 4 days and didn't see a cloud. Does that mean that this year it was only cloudy 361 days?
No, it means that this year has 369 days in it. It's a leap-sunny-year. Now go away and tell your friends about how horrible it is in Seattle so they'll go away too and traffic will get better for the rest of us.

You definitely have to take the weather comments with somewhat of a grain of salt. In fact, I wouldn't pay attention to any of them and simply google the climate information about the area instead.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:30 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times
Yesterday was the start of a week of rainy days. YAY!Boo? YAY! Boo to you! I like the rain. It cleans my patio, so I don't have to.

My god, <---lazy bum am I.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:32 PM

7 posts, read 17,308 times
Seattle weather is very moderate...so if you're trying to get away from the extreme weather of Minnesota, Seattle would be an okay choice. But yes, sorry to tell you, it does rain A LOT.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:32 PM

576 posts, read 1,818,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treezie View Post
Seattle weather is very moderate...so if you're trying to get away from the extreme weather of Minnesota, Seattle would be an okay choice. But yes, sorry to tell you, it does rain A LOT.
Lack of vitamin D can be just as deadly as extreme weather. Breast cancer and heart disease, oh my!

Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
I like snow.

I'd rather be out in the snow than be out in the rain any old day. I have clothes good for 30 below that keep me warm and dry. Snow you can just brush off your coat and shake off your boots and you're good to go.

Rain is wet. It seeps into your shoes, runs down your raincoat onto your pantslegs, there is no way to stay warm and dry in the rain. Wet wet wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area