Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 PM

3 posts, read 11,877 times

Advertisements

I currently reside at West Omaha with my live-in boyfriend. Nothing against Omaha personally, I mean, it's a great city. Especially our area. Upper class, walking distance to everything. Really, I mean EVERYTHING. We live in a $800 a month apartment. We both have great jobs that help pay this, and we still have money left over. I work in a hospital, and he works with electricity companies around the big O. Anyways, it's really luxurious, and worth the money. See through fireplace, granite counters, glass top stoves, Huge ass balcony, indoor and outdoor pools, spas, 24hour ginormous gym, I could go on and on. My main problem is the IDEA of Omaha. I mean, sure, there's the Old Market, a good place to go on a date with your significant other and ride the horses around downtown Omaha...But... I'm tired of Omaha. I want something else. I want something more. I was really thinking of Seattle Washington. I've always wanted to live in a cozy little house while drinking Seattle's Best on a dock that I own. I'm not crazy about the east coast AT ALL, and have no interest or desire in residing there. So I'm game for west coast. The property prices and taxes in Omaha are adequate. Not too expensive and you get what you pay for. I was thinking, but, uneducated in, the pros and cons of Seattle. I am talking about prices, people, entertainment, living, and just general leisure. Any and all help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,496 times
Wink Kind of like Dorothy

I don't live in Seattle, WA, but can mention a few things. To begin with you'll have no doubt you're no longer in Nebraska. Weather, for one. I've only been to Omaha, NB once but believe it receives a modicum of sun in winter. Compared to Seattle and the better part of western Washington state it is Phoenix (insofar as sun, not temp). Seattle is more temperate, with winter temps near but rarely below freezing. Much more humid, though, so it may feel colder than you expect. Lots of rain, consistently in winter, although often more of the intermittent drizzle than hard rain variety. If you can deal with this, or love it, then the advent of clear, temperate, sunny summers may convince you to remain. Those leaving Seattle due weather rarely b*tch about the summers. Autumn and spring are said to be relatively short, and more akin to winter.

I haven't spent enough time there to say for sure, but many complain that Seattleites tend to be outwardly friendly but dismally reserved when it comes to actually making friends. Sure you would though, if determined enough. They are certainly liberal enough, but know that Seattle is an island of sorts in this respect and your experience may vary the farther afield you venture.

If you like the ambience to begin with then the proximity to good cuisine, entertainment and what not should please you. I haven't spent much time in Seattle proper, but understand that such things are one of its better features. Quite cosmopolitan. More so, and with easier access to, than the outlying suburbs.

As for cost, well, you'd better really like the place. Plan on about doubling your current cost of living and doing with less luxuries and you're probably more or less in the ballpark. If in doubt do a little checking, then perhaps assess how creative you wish to be. All you might need probably could be within walking distance, but if driving much of anywhere you'll likely find your insurance premiums increase, and you'll become intimately familiar with the vagaries of traffic on I-5.

As far as cities go I think Seattle is a wonderful place. Much of the Pacific Northwest is beautiful, and near the coast a veritable garden in comparison to many interior regions of this nation. Love it or hate it, it is distinctly different. What you, not to mention your live-in-boyfriend, may think poses an interesting question. Before giving up the granite countertops you might want to do a little onsite reconnaissance .

Old 01-24-2009, 02:24 PM

102 posts, read 309,351 times
We live in Florida currently, but in 4 months will be moving back to the west. We don't care for the east either.

Seattle area has rainy type weather, but it is mostly cloudy with drizzle and summers are fairly dry and 70s-80s and occaisionaly reaches 90s. While we lived there the winters had hardly any snow. Not enough to shovel when it did snow as it melted soon before it could accumulate. No salt on the roads and no snow plows that I know of. No need for boots, scarfs or mittens for us. Mount Rainier always has snow if you want to enjoy some sledding and ect. Of course this year the weather has been bad there and it is unusual.

We swam in a small lake near Federal WAy/Pacific in the summer. Nice big parks. The underground city is interesting. Seattle has incredible sea food restaurants. Happy hour in the Tacoma area were full of tastey snacks and free food items(nothing like that here). There is a light rail system going from Tacoma to Everet(free in Tacoma boundaries).

I lived there for 13 years and as a family for 11 years. I spent a few years on Fort Lewis and then decided to stay there after end of service contract. Moved here to be near family and what a mistake. I miss Washington(western) and even with the drizzle. It is clean, green and progressive with an overall quality of life for many families in my opinion(some will argue).

Recently my husband has found many jobs up there to choose from in his field(food manufacturing QA or QC) unlike here and they are hiring. WA is not a "Fire At Will" state like Fl. or CA. and western WA has excellent local unions if needed. Unemployment maximum amount is $541./week in WA and here it is only $275. State Minimum Wage is $8.55 up there(best). On craigslist, in Mountlake Terrace,WA I saw a "housekeeping" job paying $14/hour with a company car. That is great pay for housekeeping! I have recently researched the rent in North Tacoma, Federal Way, Kent and surrounding areas. For three bedroom/ two bath: $800-$1200 depending.(same as here in this highly underdeveloped city we live in now) So, with all this said, Washington has a somewhat favorable economy compared to a lot of places, right???

Old 01-24-2009, 03:07 PM

102 posts, read 309,351 times
I forgot to mention that western Washington has a chain of grocery stores(also in other western states) called Winco foods. Very cheap and cheaper then Walmart. These stores are huge and are not fancy AT ALL and you have to bag your own groceries, but worth it for the prices and huge variety. I am not sure if these are in Oklahoma yet or not.- Not at all in Florida. Love it and miss it!

Old 01-24-2009, 06:32 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,959 times
Winco stands for Washington Idaho Nevada California Idaho (W-I-N-C-O).

Old 01-24-2009, 07:51 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,742 times
Seattle's Best is a misnomer. You'll find better coffee than that.

Seattle's fun, but your apartment is gonna cost twice as much. And everything else is more expensive. There aren't too many cities that are cheaper than Omaha.

Also, you can't get whiskey at Target here.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
I've spent a lot of time in Omaha (DH is from there) and a little in Seattle. Seattle has the glamorous reputation, but I would say, definitely beware the climate. Omaha is pretty much sunny year-round. DH thought Champaign, IL was dreary, and it's sunnier than Seattle by a long shot.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:24 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweating in Florida View Post
WA is not a "Fire At Will" state like Fl. or CA. and western WA has excellent local unions if needed.
This is not accurate; WA IS an "at will" state in terms of employment law. There are unions for some trades and in some organizations, but most jobs here are nonunion.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:44 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,841,759 times
As others have mentioned, cost of living is much higher here, and that's before factoring in the extra expense associasted with a "dock" or anything on the waterfront.

I don't know if climate will make that big of a difference, one way or another. Omaha's scorching, humid summers and much-colder-than-Seattle's winters are really nothing to brag about.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
As others have mentioned, cost of living is much higher here, and that's before factoring in the extra expense associasted with a "dock" or anything on the waterfront.

I don't know if climate will make that big of a difference, one way or another. Omaha's scorching, humid summers and much-colder-than-Seattle's winters are really nothing to brag about.
No, but they're different. And it's a very sunny place.

Take my word for it, this is the percent of sunshine received in each of these cities. For some reason, the headings didn't copy.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/...ccd/pctpos.txt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area