Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 11:16 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
To Movingwiththewind:

By the way, how long did you live in New York City before moving to Vancouver? I lived there for 18 years haha I lived in Seattle for 4 months.
So you're 18 years and 4 months old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalUrbanBalence View Post
How do you feel about Portland, Oregon?
Never been to Portland, OR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM

807 posts, read 2,258,314 times
Pike Place Market closes early because they open VERY early. They've discussed staying open later, but its just not feasable.

But yeah, the tourist spots shut down very early. You need to retreat to the neighborhoods (even parts of downtown) for evening/late night fun.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:35 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Because I'm in San Diego. SD is a different city but I guess we all will have our opinions.
I agree, Gentoo. I've been to every US city with a pro sports team and while some share some similarities (politics, architecture in some places), the differences add up a lot faster than the similarities.

Usually the "XX city is similar to YY city" arguments devolve into "XX city is BETTER than YY city..."

And so it goes.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:04 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Yeah starting in April the weather has been horrid. I can't remember such a crappy may/june, it seems to be one long, gray haze. I read in the paper that this last Sunday,we got the same amount of sunlight that we would typically see in February. It's sunny today so hopefully summer is finally here.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:20 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Yeah starting in April the weather has been horrid. I can't remember such a crappy may/june, it seems to be one long, gray haze. I read in the paper that this last Sunday,we got the same amount of sunlight that we would typically see in February. It's sunny today so hopefully summer is finally here.
I don't know. I've been in Seattle / Vancouver, BC since the beginning of May, and I love the weather so far. But I heard some people here in Vancouver complain.

Be happy you're not in NYC. Talking to my relatives every day and it's humid and 90 and over day after day after day.... I'm soooo happy to be in the PNW!

Take away California, and compare Seattle's year-round weather with the rest of the country, and you'll see that Seattle weather is as good as it gets.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-22-2010 at 07:34 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
I've lived in CA for 7 of the last 8 years, and in general, people here have a positive opinion of the PNW. The only people I've met who have an outright negative opinion of the place are people who have lived there or been there for an extended period of time, and didn't like it... honestly, for every one person I've met who didn't like it (granted, it's not like I just start chatting up folks on the bus about what their opinion of Seattle is), I've probably met a dozen who say something positive about it.

From my perception, people in SD are generally pretty approachable, but they do have a sort of nationalism about San Diego you don't get from people in LA - but then, so does Seattle... if you say something negative about LA to a Los Angeleno - for instance, you say "man, there are so many fake people here!" or "the traffic here is epic awful" - they'll probably say, "yeah, there are a lot of people here who are fake," or "I know, right? Man, does the 10 suck!" It seems like everyone kind of takes the good with the bad, and are aware of both.

If you say something even remotely negative about Seattle - no matter how true it is - you can expect to have a very severe rebuttal, as though you told the person in question their kid was ugly. I like many things about San Diego, but it's too Ronald Reagan for me, and I recall when I said something to this effect to a coworker from San Diego, he got VERY defensive, and then got very offensive. One of my best friends/mistresses is from La Jolla, and even though she chose to live in LA and prefers it, any negative comments about San Diego are met with a very sharp retort.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
but they do have a sort of nationalism about San Diego you don't get from people in LA
You are so right about that!

Quote:
f you say something negative about LA to a Los Angeleno - for instance, you say "man, there are so many fake people here!" or "the traffic here is epic awful" - they'll probably say, "yeah, there are a lot of people here who are fake," or "I know, right
I found this true about LA too.

Quote:
I like many things about San Diego, but it's too Ronald Reagan for me, and I recall when I said something to this effect to a coworker from San Diego, he got VERY defensive, and then got very offensive
Quote:
any negative comments about San Diego are met with a very sharp retort.
Man you know San Diegans so well! It's one reason I don't participate much in the SD forum. In fact I believe I post in the Seattle forum far more than that one. Say anything negative about SD and they act like you stabbed them in the heart or something.

Now I myself haven't had anything negative yet to say about Seattle so I've yet to experience this. Good to know though as I tend to tell things like they are.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:43 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Please. If you say anything negative about something as mundane as the weather in the Seattle forum, a couple of posters will respond sharply, (some who don't even live here or just moved here) and instantly the thread gets closed. I've never seen anything like it.

Apparently discussing the weather in Seattle is more controversial than gun laws, pit bulls or politics. It's the electric fence of threads so be careful about discussing the weather here. You will get a sharp rebuke from a couple of posters and pow, a lock on the thread.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:05 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Please. If you say anything negative about something as mundane as the weather in the Seattle forum, a couple of posters will respond sharply, (some who don't even live here or just moved here) and instantly the thread gets closed. I've never seen anything like it.

Apparently discussing the weather in Seattle is more controversial than gun laws, pit bulls or politics. It's the electric fence of threads so be careful about discussing the weather here. You will get a sharp rebuke from a couple of posters and pow, a lock on the thread.
Agreed.

I grew up being told that talking about weather is suppose to be the most inoffensive subject to talk about. I suppose its the sign of times.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:08 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,598,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

It just gets old after awhile. Let's face it, whenever Seattle comes up in passing conversation, movies, tv, etc....somehow the weather is always brought into the conversation as well. No other city has a reputation that is so intertwined with it's weather. Portland and Vancouver, which have virtually identical climates, aren't stigmatized nearly as much as Seattle is regarding the overcast weather. It just gets real tiresome having to listen to it day after day. We get it already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area