Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 04:40 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,332,226 times

Advertisements

I like Seattle. I've lived in it for the last 31 years. From people outside Seattle, I don't think it's overrated. From people who live here: Somewhat.....There does seem to be this Seattle mentality on the part of some that says "We're better than everybody else. We're sustainable, we have world class museums and exsquisite food, and we recycle more, and we've signed onto the Kyoto protocol."
It's sort of this provincial thing thinking how cosmpolitan we are. People go ga ga about these restaurants that serve things like " Wild harvested frisee salad topped with free range organic pigeon entrails in a raspberry beurre blanc" which are two ounces and cost thirty bucks.
And when people from other places make remarks about how a place like New York has better pizza, Seattleites get outraged and defend their favorite mediocre overpriced pizzeria. Seattle is a nice place. I like living here. But if you listen to some people who live here, we think it's "all that".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 06:09 PM

947 posts, read 1,642,970 times
Yes, Seattle is very overrated and Ira500 I whole heartedly agree with your statement. I have been both visitor and resident and had the same view no matter what side I was on.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:41 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,586 times
If Seattle is so over rated what city is better on the west coast?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:53 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieJane View Post
Never been to Seattle (am moving there), but I think LA is the most overrated city in the US. LA is dirty, gross and not even on the water. The traffic is horrible and there are a ton of people trying really hard to be cool.

I personally love Austin though.

I am a bit nervous about moving from one place where 6-figures = poor, to another place where 6-figures = poor as citygirl stated about Seattle.
Well then, move to Austin where six figures = comfortable living! I left Seattle eight months ago to come down here and the living is easy. I am sure it helped that we were able to cash out our equity in our hovel up there, but the sunshine, friendly people and lower cost of living really make a difference. In fact Forbes just named Austin the least stressful metro area in country while Seattle ranked number 9. See In Depth: America's Most Stressful Cities - 40. Austin, Texas - Forbes.com

Old 09-08-2009, 07:10 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Well then, move to Austin where six figures = comfortable living! I left Seattle eight months ago to come down here and the living is easy. I am sure it helped that we were able to cash out our equity in our hovel up there, but the sunshine, friendly people and lower cost of living really make a difference. In fact Forbes just named Austin the least stressful metro area in country while Seattle ranked number 9. See In Depth: America's Most Stressful Cities - 40. Austin, Texas - Forbes.com
Ironic considering Austin has far more crime than Seattle does.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,057,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Ironic considering Austin has far more crime than Seattle does.
I haven't noticed. Do you have some numbers to back that up?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:00 PM

121 posts, read 337,968 times
I think the idea that you have to earn six figures to live in or around Seattle is certainly relative--we shouldn't use blanket assumptions. Yes, the cost of living is higher here than in a lot of the rest of the U.S., but one can enjoy a decent standard of living and build equity without making $100k+ a year. "Feeling poor" is very subjective, after all. I make substantially less that six figures but am able to afford a condo in my preferred neighborhood, and I don't feel poor at all. Admittedly, though, I don't need a 5,000 sq. ft. home on a big lot, etc. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with wanting that, and obviously for those who want to maximize their housing purchase without feeling "house poor," there are better markets than Seattle. But a lot of people are willing to pay more to live here, as reflected by the higher cost per square foot. That's true of most large cities, and esp. true of Seattle right now--as this region becomes denser, it is almost a given that the cost of housing per square foot will increase (assuming housing prices do start increasing someday ).

Old 09-08-2009, 08:33 PM

328 posts, read 838,949 times
Let's be real. Most of us will say a place is overrated when we are biased against that place. It's rare when one says that from an objective point of view. I'm not sure it's possible.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:43 PM

56 posts, read 268,890 times
So I'm confused, is Seattle overrated or the best kept secret?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:57 PM

328 posts, read 838,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I haven't noticed. Do you have some numbers to back that up?
Try this link:
Table 4 - Oklahoma through Wisconsin (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/08aprelim/table_4ok-wi.html - broken link)

This is 2007 and 2008 data.

I grew up in various neighborhoods in Austin (Hyde Part, Montopolis, Highlands, Northcape). Hyde Park was nice and Northcape was suburban. Montopolis, East Side, and East Riverside are quite frightening. You may not be killed, but violence was the norm and most often unreported (due to the demograhics). In speaking with my relatives down there, it's only gotten worse. I would take White Center or Rainier Valley any day.

I'm sure you live in a nice area (plenty abound there), but Austin has a large seedy side too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area