Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you can pretty much go to any security company and get a job, unless there are drug problems or a bad history.

You are right, we probably are talking to each other. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Im sure everyone can get a job. Fast food hires anyone. I see nothing wrong with working fast food if thats what it takes to survive.
I know a guy through a forum who committed suicide at age 60 as neither Wendy's nor McDonalds would hire him due to his age.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:49 AM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I know a guy through a forum who committed suicide at age 60 as neither Wendy's nor McDonalds would hire him due to his age.
People don't realize, that fast food and retail jobs, aren't always an option. These sorts of companies won't hire those who they think are overqualified for fast food and retail jobs. It never ceases to amaze me, how many people still think that ANYONE can walk into McDonalds or Walmart, and automatically get a job.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 AM

I heard one story where a guy went to a construction site (they were building houses) and they put him to work, cleaning up, carrying stuff, whatever. He made more money than I would've thought. A guy has to start somewhere, doing something, even if they don't like it.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I heard one story where a guy went to a construction site (they were building houses) and they put him to work, cleaning up, carrying stuff, whatever. He made more money than I would've thought. A guy has to start somewhere, doing something, even if they don't like it.
But what if a person is too old, or disabled, to work a physically demanding job like contruction?? A person would be a fool, to try and get jobs that they're unable to do.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
But what if a person is too old, or disabled, to work a physically demanding job like contruction?? A person would be a fool, to try and get jobs that they're unable to do.
That's very true. The OP didn't seem to indicate he was hurt or otherwise disabled, and he was 35 years old, so I figured he would find a lot of things to do, if he just stretched his mind a bit and became more flexible in his thinking.

What you described is not very precise. But just suppose for a second, that such a person could teach at a day care center, possibly? Teach the younger ones the ABC's, their numbers and so forth, and for the more advanced ones, simple arithmetic. Still other kids may need to know their letters and learn to use the alphabet to learn to spell words and create simple sentences. Just a thought.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
That's very true. The OP didn't seem to indicate he was hurt or otherwise disabled, and he was 35 years old, so I figured he would find a lot of things to do, if he just stretched his mind a bit and became more flexible in his thinking.

What you described is not very precise. But just suppose for a second, that such a person could teach at a day care center, possibly? Teach the younger ones the ABC's, their numbers and so forth, and for the more advanced ones, simple arithmetic. Still other kids may need to know their letters and learn to use the alphabet to learn to spell words and create simple sentences. Just a thought.
I agree, that the OP should be as flexible as possible. However, I think the problem with today's workplace, is that employers aren't very flexible at all. If the OP doesn't have any experience doing childcare for example, he's unlikely to get a job doing that.

Employers have become EXTREMELY picky, regarding who they hire nowadays. That's why so many people, have been out of work for 99 weeks. I just hope that the OP is doing okay, where ever he is.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Where I live, they have a homeless campus complete with agencies to help people get into housing and get jobs and get food and get showers and etc.

This is just where I live. Now, I sure would not want to be homeless in this town due to the heat factor, but we do have a decent setup and I know someone personally who does homeless outreach for a living.

Some churches or other agencies will provide money for a one way bus ticket to other places. This town has a lot of shelters, even if they suck but some don't suck. I've been through the shelters at night (the overflows) and seen things I never thought I'd see (well, this was only the men's shelter. The women's shelter was nice). Things I thought I'd only see in war times. Nonetheless, law enforcement was on hand and it was a roof over one's head. I've been in parks with outreach teams and handed out sandwiches and water.

My point is that resources are available. I've done a bit of work in this area. If the OP is still reading, I'd be happy to make some phone calls to see if I can get info on resources in his or her area.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:23 PM

And one more thing, I know of an excellent thread in another forum that may provide inspiration and ideas. If the OP would like to PM me, I can direct the OP to that thread.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM

136 posts, read 481,191 times
In the San Francisco bay area. You will not get a unskilled job at a target ,walmart or any fastfood here if you are caucasian.

You would not belive how many fastfood workers that have been working at Macdonalds for over 10 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness