Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:27 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
and for those sub/urbanites with "commando" chickens - The Stealth Coop
That brings a whole new meaning to chicks going commando.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 03:28 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
We discovered a long time ago that sacrificing the skin of a chicken during the butchering process saved a lot of time and aggravation:

One day I asked Grandpa, “Isn’t there an easier way to dress out a chicken?” He showed me a method with no need to pluck feathers and no smelly stench from a wet chicken. It’s just a fast, easy way to put meat on the table.

How to butcher a chicken in 20 minutes or less by Dr. Roger W. Grim, D.C. Issue #79

No need to sit there for hours plucking feathers off a carcass until your fingers seize up. Grandpa knew best!

Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM

28 posts, read 86,056 times
This thread has EXPLODED - 26 pages in about 14 days? lol..

Old 10-20-2010, 12:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaIsSnowCool View Post
This thread has EXPLODED - 26 pages in about 14 days? lol..
Hah, wait 'til we get into quail, pheasants, chukars, turkeys, ducks, geese, and guineas!

Old 10-20-2010, 08:04 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
We discovered a long time ago that sacrificing the skin of a chicken during the butchering process saved a lot of time and aggravation:

One day I asked Grandpa, “Isn’t there an easier way to dress out a chicken?” He showed me a method with no need to pluck feathers and no smelly stench from a wet chicken. It’s just a fast, easy way to put meat on the table.

How to butcher a chicken in 20 minutes or less by Dr. Roger W. Grim, D.C. Issue #79

No need to sit there for hours plucking feathers off a carcass until your fingers seize up. Grandpa knew best!
Yessiree! If there's no reason to keep the skin (like you want a pretty whole roaster), just strip that sucker nekkid and get on with it. Much easier than plucking

But, you know, fried chicken legs and thighs really are so much better with that crispy skin

Old 10-23-2010, 12:25 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Usually I'll skin the barred rock roosters since my friends who fly fish want the feathers to make fishing lures. You can take the skin and pin it feather side down on a board and then heavily salt the back of it. Then let it dry out and you have a "feather shield" or "road chicken" wall ornament. Or something you can give your fishing friends.

If you want some really tasty crispy fried chicken, deep fry it in lard. That makes excellent fried chicken.

Considering half the chickens hatched are roosters and you only need about one rooster per every ten hens - if you keep a rooster around at all - it's a good thing "roosters taste just like chicken". (That's the gem of wisdom the new city neighbor told me after she had some "rooster soup".)

Old 10-23-2010, 12:41 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
I've always heard that "fryers" are cockerels, and "broilers" are pullets -- since you tend to slaughter fryers earlier. whatever LOL Our first batch of straight run chicks, all but the strongest cockerel will meet the great dinner plate in the sky, but we'll be keeping about half of the hardiest pullets for layers.

Mmmmm --- lard. Lard just makes everything taste better, except for things that are better with butter, of course LOL Forget about vegetable shortening and margarine -- blech!! There is absolutely nothing that can't be made scrumptious by battering and deep frying it -- just ask the Brits ROFL

Old 10-23-2010, 02:31 PM

61 posts, read 100,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
A recent essay that nicely captures why many preppers view the humble chicken as THE perfect self-sufficiency critter:

"... I've come to realize how important the chicken is to our civilization. It may be the most important animal that we have "domesticated." To those that know chickens I'm sure this will seem obvious, but, to me it was a revelation. I'd always taken the chicken for granted. Now I believe that anyone serious about "surviving" the crash had better have at a minimum a small flock of chickens to ease the transition."

Here's the whole essay: The Silver Bear Cafe

So do you have a backyard flock, or plans for one?

Planning on having some chickens..we have a decent half acre plot...Chickens and maybe rabbbits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness