Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 06:33 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times

Advertisements

Jerusalem Artichoke---------OMG, one of the biggest pyramid scam to ever hit rural America.

It is still being referenced in farm magazines as an example of a pyramid scam that fools fell for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 06:38 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
Hmm... find it extremely interesting that so many of the listed Noxious Weeds are indigenous/native species. Would that not sort of indicate, justs a little tiny bit, that those plants are *supposed* to be growing there and have evolved to be extremely successful there?! So, what are we doing that's making them such a problem?!?!?!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
--don't the mayors in Minnesota------

Hey, city girl, mayors are elected officials of a city/town

Township Supervisors are the elected officials in our rural areas.

Us farmers will gladly turn a neighbor in who refuses to control his noxious weeds and the wind blows the seed into our fields.

You ain't a good neighbor if you don't control mustard or thistle on your land !

A farm girl would know that .
You are saying you're a farmer? I just snorted wine out of my nose from laughing!
Honey, in case you forgot, I didnt grow up in Mn......I doubt HIGHLY that you would have a clue what is considered an invasive species in Mo or Fl.
So dont even go there with me, sugarpuss.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:53 PM

---supposed to be growing there--

Maybe corn farmers should allow oak saplings to grow in their corn and soybean fields cuz they also are --natural--( supposedly meaning they are supposed to be growing there )

Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You are saying you're a farmer? I just snorted wine out of my nose from laughing!
Honey, in case you forgot, I didnt grow up in Mn......I doubt HIGHLY that you would have a clue what is considered an invasive species in Mo or Fl.
So dont even go there with me, sugarpuss.
I can see why mules were the horsepower of choice in Missouri.
Looking at that video, do they breed cattle with legs on one side longer ?

How else could they graze those Missori hills ?

Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
The yellow mustard that grows wild and will take a field over is on every township's noxious weed list.

As stated, that is why my organic neighbor has never harvested an oats crop for grain. The township weed inspector orders the mustard be either killed by a herbicide or cut .

He always is forced to cut his oats for hay.

As sure as the sun rising in the east, he'll plant oats and then get upset when he gets the notice to destroy/control.
IIRC you mentioned on another posting that you lived in Minnesota, Ok according to the USDA there's only one prohibited mustard, Garlic Mustard (Alliaria petiolata), it's got a white flower, not yellow (so this can't be that) and it is a PNW (prohibited noxious weed).

Wild mustard (yellow flower)is a prohibited noxious weed in Ohio, but not MN (according to the USDA) it is a noxious weed in MI and a secondary noxious weed in IA. However I did find that it was required to be removed in certain counties of Minnesota too under section 1505.0740 of Minnesota rules.

White mustard (yellow flower) is not a prohibited noxious weed anywhere under the USDA jurisdiction, but is a noxious weed in Michigan, it is also not a NW in MN.

The problem is though, can you tell 'em apart...? To be perfectly honest they look very similar, I couldn't honestly say whether I could tell them apart, unless I had a known sample of one to compare a field sample against.

So which one was it...?

They're both pretty tasty as salad greens, or as a mustard tea if you pick the young shoots. Garlic Mustard is pretty good too, garlicky and mustardy at the same time.

I do find it weird though that if they can't use this except as fodder (I'm assuming that's what you mean as 'hay'), that shouldn't be permissible (it's certainly a questionable practice when recommendation are to not feed animals anything contaminated with mustard), horses and cattle can suffer abortions, goiter and blindness from eating excess mustard seed, pigs and sheep get only get the colic and indigestion symptoms that are common across the rest of the livestock, but can get pretty sick from it. we only don't because we only eat it in relatively small quantities.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Jerusalem Artichoke---------OMG, one of the biggest pyramid scam to ever hit rural America.

It is still being referenced in farm magazines as an example of a pyramid scam that fools fell for.
Funny that I couldnt find any articles using Google that you are referring to.
However, I found over 230,000 pages talking about recipes, health benefits and what not.
Did you know you can make wine with them?
After all, what is considered a weed by some is considered highly prized and edible by others.
I guess the scam turned out well, since one can buy them at WalMart.

They can even be used to make ethanol.....might be time for Mn to get with the times.

Ethanol from Corn, Sure. But from Artichokes? | Renewable Energy News Article

Old 10-11-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
I can see why mules were the horsepower of choice in Missouri.
Looking at that video, do they breed cattle with legs on one side longer ?

How else could they graze those Missori hills ?
You are sooooooo cute, especially when you try to talk about things you know nothing of.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:10 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Hey, city girl, mayors are elected officials of a city/town

Township Supervisors are the elected officials in our rural areas.
I agree that cities and towns both have elected officials for those URBAN communities.

Both Towns and cities are urban if they have such a high density of people that they require officials.

Neither is rural though.

To say: Township supervisors are ... in our rural areas, is a contradiction in terms.

If you have an elected official 'supervising' your town, then you are urban.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
You are sooooooo cute, especially when you try to talk about things you know nothing of.
Yes, city folk do that from time to time.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness