Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 03:41 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,499,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I wish it could work the other way around and city people would keep their city stuff in the city. But nooo, they move to NH to be in the 'country', and then bring all their city stuff, and ideas with them, and make it the hell they just left. Why is that?

Gun, yer right it is eatting the country up.

A city dwellin dentist moves to the last place on a road and wants plowing, wants his kids in a different school, and buses to take them there, a long way away.

Rules on what can and can not be had out behind the barn.

City people who buy a 1/4 acre lot next to a 160 acre Kings grant and complain about the shooting.

City people who insist on posting every last square inch of their land, most often that 1/4 acre lot.

City people who will insist on per test laws and then go chit on another guys land with no clue How To cleanly........... That one was last week right here. I saw a new blue truck and no one here has anything new. The next day i saw white behind where the truck was, and that little surprise wasn't good, since the dogs were deep in investigations. ewww...

Guess I have no grounds since I am the one who took down the Keep Out signs myself, but if i ever see that truck again, somebody is gonna get a lecture about How To chit in th woods!

more??

City dwellers buy up condos in the middle of a centuries old deer yard and wonder why their bushes get chomped each winter. These same city dwellers don't want any deer killed, by hunters, but some how justify Govt hunters killing these same deer as if a Govt hunter is some how a better hunter or something. I have never been able to get that figured out.

Everywhere 80+ acres are getting to be big box stores and big parking lots, nothing different than anywhere where else. I can buy the same cotton tea shirts in NH as you can in Alabama, but it's a lot colder here than in Alabama. It's like all the USA is so smalll only one kind of clothing is needed.

Some months ago someone posted about a HOA, and i had to look it up on google.

Once i did work at a communist condo in Maryland. I built French raised bed gardens, a fence and a garden shed, and it all had to be by rules like a HOA has, but the owner there never mentioned the words for the meaning of HOA.

The rules were nutty, but because no one could have better or worse than their neighbors.
It wasn't easy either, since the fences had to be 6'6" and no shed could be taller than that on the roof side. The fence was stagger board and stagger board only.

I got clever and rather than build that fence and a shed with in the fence I made trhe out side of that fence stagger board, but put in a board between boards on the inside, which were 2 walls of the shed with no wasted space, or places for city debris to collect, that every single other shed there had.

Making it appear from the outside to meet the rules, but from the inside a solid wall for a garden shed. Another probklem was no fasteners could be on the buildings for the fence or sheds, but could for wires. Odd.

The shed could touch the building though, so I made dove tail joints to lock certain key parts.

I got in trouble over the gate. I made a tombstone gate with a weeping heart cut out of the same boards the fence and shed were made of (pressure treated) I hand forged a katch too. I made a big acorn facia for the katch lever outside as well, and got BUSTED for this being too nice of all things.

Everyone almost liked it, and the rules were changed for the gate alone, but it was hell for me for awhile.

It's no wonder cheating goes on is such places. If i lived in one i wouldn't know which wife was mine either
You have a legitimate point and I agree with it. You move to a place for what it is - not what you think it should be. And you don't try to impose your "world view" on a community that doesn't agree with it. I know who I am and what I like - and live in a community of people who pretty much share my views. FWIW - if you're not familiar with NE Florida (and southern Georgia - which is just a ways up the road) - there's lot of rural living here - hunting too. It's pretty easy to pick a place to live that suits your likes/dislikes. We may have the only shopping center in the US that has a Gucci outlet store next to Gander Mountain .

FWIW - one problem with animals like deer (not necessarily where you live - but where I live) is increasingly intense development in certain areas has pushed deer to places they never lived before. Like my HOA (it is heavily wooded and there's a lot of land that has been left "natural"). There weren't deer when I first moved here 15 years ago - but there are now (although - knock wood - they're not in my part of community - I would get upset if they decided to stop by for dinner every night). I used to have quail in my back yard - but they've been gone for a long time now . And - believe it or not - we still see bears out here at the Jacksonville Beaches every couple of months. Sometimes I think they've learned how to use the bus system . Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Only two things wrong with that in the example I gave:

1) That one guy sstopped everything - not just chickens - necessary wood lot maintenance in the green belt, swing sets for the kids, landscaping the road medians, a new fence around the power transformer, etc etc

2) I didn't move in to the city... the city moved out to me. when I bought the place, it was attached to a farm, in a different municipality and a different county. The city grew, they rezoned, I got sucked in and lost a bunch of my rights through no fault or decision of my own.
I don't think any one person should ever have the power to do a "thumbs up/thumbs down" on anything (there will always be someone who won't agree that it's dark at 2 am). For example - our HOA allows stuff for kids - like swing sets and basketball hoops. There are rules regarding size and property placement. But - if you follow the rules - no one has a right to complain. We have state (or perhaps county - can't remember) rules about prescribed burns and burning trash on property. Minimum set backs from other buildings - times of year when allowed/not allowed - etc. Perhaps certain people who are supposed to "govern" are simply too lazy to make reasonable rules - or don't want to make enemies by making any rules?

Don't know how old you are. But my husband and I both in our 60's. We grew up in parts of "rural" New Jersey. Bergen County (northern NJ) and Delaware Township - now Cherry Hill (southern NJ). If I told anyone in their 20's that these used to be rural areas - they would think I'm a crazy old lady. Haven't been to either area for quite a while - but they were totally unrecognizable to us on our last trips maybe 15 years ago. So I know what you mean when you say "the city moved out to me". Depending on your age - it is perhaps not such a bad thing. As you get older - you may want to have things like doctors and shopping closer to you. And if you own some acreage - perhaps you can subdivide it and sell it and put a few dollars in your pocket for your retirement (the farmers where we grew up made a killing selling their farms for housing subdivisions ). Robyn

Old 10-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Yes, you've made your feeling quite clear about how you would rule the world if you were king.

However, why continue telling people what they can't do, or what you wouldn't tolerate? Why not actually contribute some knowledge toward becoming more self-sufficient insteaded of disparaging remarks? It is obvious you know quite abit about dairy. Do you have someting positive to contribute as far as chickens?
Like I've said - I'm probably one of the least self-sufficient people in this forum. But if I thought civilization as I knew it was about to end (or be interrupted) - I'd probably get a lot of chickens. They supply eggs - and you can kill them for meat (not too hard to kill them "kosher style" - just have to figure out how to pluck them). Big bang for the buck in terms of nutritional value. Also - they seem to be not all that hard to take care of (although I'd probably stock up on some basic chicken "drugs"). A "survival 101" kind of animal best I can figure out. A lot easier than cattle.

But I don't know whether this thread is about dealing with things if TSHTF - or talking about boutique organic scrambled eggs. Don't think anyone in my part of the world will complain about my chickens (including roosters) if the world is faling apart. But - until then - they will. Robyn

Old 10-10-2010, 04:57 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,775,588 times
No, but we forbid the use of chemicals anywhere on our property, and have had a Horticulturist/native plants expert working in edible plants among the existing plantings....just in case.... Who knows what's coming?

Anyway, I grew up foraging in the woods...pulling up Wild Onions from the schoolyard...saving every tiny Wild Strawberry...every wild plum I'd find by the roadside... making soups from Water Moccasins and roadkill...beating Sassafras leaves into Gombo File. So I'm more comfortable with the notion of Permaculture, than Agriculture. And if there are raids upon homes and farms, things like chickens will disappear quickly. Remember there are something like twenty million illegals in the country. And the second they are told it's Open Season on Americans.....

Remember: if it's of any obvious value, it will be taken from you.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I see you live in Alaska. Don't know which part. Is there zoning where you live? And I'm not saying that only because you live in Alaska - a city like Houston is notorious for its lack of zoning (and it is very unattractive in many places).

I've never been to Alaska. But I imagine a lot of it as being at least somewhat wild - very clean - pretty. Farm animals are ok in my image . But I don't think I'd want to visit if it's simply a northern version of southern rural poverty and semi-poverty. I.e., yards full of rusting junk. I've never understood the attraction of having a personal junk yard (I suspect that a lot of people simply don't have enough money to dispose of the stuff). Robyn
Zoning regs? Erm, your well has to be 100' from any structure and uphill from your septic and barn (or other biological effluent). Other than that have at it. I'm in the YK (Yukon Koyukuk) region of the unorganized borough of Alaska, which means only state law applies, there is not a "county" government (or even a city/town/village government). There's about 6500 people living in this region and it's almost 148,000 square miles in area (about the same as Montana).

The yards full of rusting junk answer is it depends, (No I don't have a '59 Ford rusting on bricks ) there are a few places like that, mostly as far as I can tell around the outskirts of Fairbanks (which surprisingly does have zoning regs in Northstar Borough), and our local dump. Mostly though they're picked really clean really fast, it's always a good idea to have a spare alternator, fuel pump, brake lines or whatever, just in case (bush recycling). Its not always feasible to travel into the City to pick up spares during the winter months (which has already started BTW).

Mostly though it's pretty pristine, and most people up here take care of their properties (same as anywhere else though, not everyone but most people). If they do have junkers then they're not visible from the road, or in many cases they're in outbuildings, since many people have the strange belief that it's all public land here, and they can go grab whatever is visible from the road, be that parts of a junker or a whole Cat D9.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,972,397 times
Gun, Yeah a real pick up here will be dated, and have a solid ft axel and leaf springs to lift things like snow plows, something SUV and light light trucks don't do well. Slicks have shiney paint and it ain't a problem to see it is a city truck. The rural trucks loom like rural trucks with tool boxes, ladder racks and are some what beat up looking, real work trucks not city street toys. Paint is the first thing to go.

If money was on no concern my first choice would be a unimog with a 3 way dump rack body, power take off for a snow blower which is getting popular, for the fact bankings can only be so high, but the old blowers didn't have the get up and go to move wet laden snows.

2nd would be a 1949 Dodge power wagon with a rear axel at 16:1, a basic mountain mover. That truck makes most trucks look like toys.

I have not much use of a truck that a cord of wet fresh cut oak won't fit in, and mine is way over loaded with 3/4ers of a that. A sad state of affairs. I have that problem of money is a tool and i don't have much of that tool. But i got a few friends.

Robyn
The deer here eat things deer should not eat ever, for the dammned condos. The condo people plant strange exotic plants not from here, and whine about the loss. As to where one can live, it's each to their own. I could never live a place as hot and humid as it gets in the south. I can't deal with dry heat either. The colder it gets the better i like it. I have a bad time breathing air, and so cold air allows me to live. I even left here in 05 for 10 months into 06 seeking a better place, but never found one.

I just let it go with being spoiled of maple syrup.

What I deon't understand is people who move here and don't care about what is here. I love these rocks and the trees. The people who come are all about $$$$, and the rocks and trees are meaningless. LOL I recall over hearing a converstaion from city dwellers coming here that wanted to tap maple sugar full time and show these hick farmers how it is really done.

I thought I was gonna die of heart failure and lack of breath!

Right now i am looking forward to the first real snow. When that happens I will wander out to Rt 25 and sit on the ledges over loooking the road to see the sights. There are cars and trucks akimbo, everywhwere in the ditches.

new shiney don't mean squat that day.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:31 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I don't think any one person should ever have the power to do a "thumbs up/thumbs down" on anything (there will always be someone who won't agree that it's dark at 2 am).
Had to laugh at this, here's a pic of our 1 am around solstice... (it didn't get any darker).

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs607.snc3/31975_1464804776043_1111220608_1398307_6212598_n.j pg (broken link)

Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM

Oh yeah I forgot 'zoning' What that means is if you got enuff $$$ to pad some slick's bank account you can build what ever you want, so long as it earns more $$$$. Why you can ruin a great vista view and just build the tallest most butt ugly thing you can dream up. You can even do it up some wild mt road the local fire dept can't get up in winter.

I know because i watched a few burn and there was nuthin anyone could do about it. The only good thing is these volunteer fire stations ain't lost a cellar hole yet.

One I recall that was in a zoned area for condos burned after it was all inspected because the common laundery wasn't vented properly and spontainious combustion took place with in the walls from water trapped lints. The next best thing is the slicks come on weekends and then turn off the power for heating electricly so the pipes freeze, which is harmless till next weekend.

Suddenly there are sounds coming from with in the walls, and the next thing the slicks know is they got a indoor water fall..How lovely.

Some how I get the idea I am not on topic a bit........ Uh oh.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:49 PM

Gloria, use some caution on what isn't sprayed. Once i worked for camp ground down on Maryland that refused spray for the gypsy moth, and they invaded that place, a virtual island of no spray and killed a lot of trees living before the American Civila War. How I know is i cut many of these dead red oaks at 3.75 cords each down, and found bullets, many many bullets from that time, on what is known as Reno Gap and South Mountain. That wicked insect will even eat conifers.

In NH I saw another invasion and it looked like a snow less winter in August.

Now i am not sayng the spray is a good thing at all, but if you are the only one who doesn't it will kill you as bad as if you did.

In as much as getting raided, by illegals or the so-called authorities, well somebody is gonna need body bags. If they win I won't need whats set aside, problem over.

If they loose i will make mocs of them, bone containers, and decorate my walls with hairs.

Maybe if you want strawberry plants it might be a good idea to go buy some plants. Or maybe say how many you want. Mine are done for this season and need to be thinned out bad, plus moved.

We have enough to last over winter into the season. 4 years ago I bought 5 plants in a 6 holder tray, and last count, last year was around 375 'leddle plants'. This year i made 4 new rows in the garden to move ALL of them too, which was a joke. I moved to thin 1/2 of one bed.

Very soon I need to move them ALL out of the garden to another location. These live under snow all winter in NH in the upper half of the state. They are rugged 'leddle plants'.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:59 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,948,962 times
what I'm still trying to wrap my head around is why an animal's species makes any bit of difference as long as someone has the appropriate space and conditions to care for it, and is caring for it properly and safely... regardless of where that is?

It just doesn't make any kind of rational sense. Maybe my autism is just precluding me from "getting" the social aspects. I know the regulations might have been there for some purpose in the past, or as a result of folks not caring for certain animals properly (or being unable to at the time)... but are they all really still necessary? A goat or a flock of chickens would be just as capable of living healthily on a fenced green roof of a large urban building as they would in a field the same size in rural terra firma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness