Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 09:25 AM

373 posts, read 635,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It certainly could be, unless you have enough people who stand watch over what you have 24/7.

People aren't like they were 70yrs ago. We have a society today of people who think they're entitled to what everyone else has.

One of the funniest/ eye opening posts I ever saw on here was someone who was from OH and wanted to take their Section 8 vouchers and live in Santa Monica, CA.

She was entitled because she was a vet and was a single mom.

I lived in CA for 20 yrs, I never lived that close to the ocean. Of course I paid my own way.
I suspect there are a class of nasty people, many of them in power and thier stooges who vote who think you the bad person for complaining about the professional leach.

I tend to relate more to how people took personal responsiblity 70 years ago. There still remants today, and were quite a few into the early 60's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,634,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
I think politics should be discussed first thing. I use it as a gauge to see whether I want to bother making friends with someone or not. If their beliefs are opposite of mine, we're almost sure to have practically nothing in common and I wouldn't like them much anyway. Avoiding them in the first place saves time and hard feelings later.

As to the OP's question about moving... you could put the house on the market and see if there's any nibbles. If not, you haven't really lost anything (so long as you don't build up too much hope).
Or you can be accepting and understanding that not everyone is a replica of you and just avoid discussing politics in the first place . Ironic your nickname is "Be Free"

OD

Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,692,650 times
Quote:
I think politics should be discussed first thing. I use it as a gauge to see whether I want to bother making friends with someone or not. If their beliefs are opposite of mine, we're almost sure to have practically nothing in common and I wouldn't like them much anyway. Avoiding them in the first place saves time and hard feelings later.
Yup, one of the first things I did was to go sit down at the local bars and restaurants, sit for a while, eat and drink quietly and - listen. After a few, the locals started talking politics. Once they did, I knew that this was the right place for me.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:08 PM

817 posts, read 2,189,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Or you can be accepting and understanding that not everyone is a replica of you and just avoid discussing politics in the first place . Ironic your nickname is "Be Free"

OD
I chose my board name because I moved to NH and was finally free of the sickening nanny government intrusion that I spent too many years living with in NY.

I don't have to be "accepting and understanding" of everyone and, in fact, that's a pretty foolish way to be. I'll assume you're that way, since you suggested that I should be... so, are you "accepting and understanding" of Charles Manson then? Jeffrey Dahmer? How about the Islamic extremists who want to cut our heads off? (I would bet you're probably only "accepting and understanding" of people who are more like you.)

Personally, I've never met a lefty I had an ounce of respect for. Thus the reason I like to know peoples' political leanings before I waste time on them. I can live with it if you don't approve.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aptor hours View Post
In my opinion you would be far better off if you made a big effort at loving where you live. You can explore your community, volunteer, and you will make friends....moving usually just brings your problems with you
I disagree. If you're living in an area or a part of the country you don't like it can make life miserable.

For example the OP is Phoenix, well if you decide after a year or two that you find the heat too extreme you have a problem that impacts your life greatly.

You're not going to be running around wanting to volunteer and getting out in the community. You would limit yourself to going outside to go to work, the stores,etc. But you're going to spend the rest of your time inside your house with the A/C on.

Yes people do bring existing problems when they move, if you owe 20K in credit cards that debt is going with you.

But living in an area you don't like takes it toll on you. And moving from that area can improve your life and your outlook in general.

It is not true that people who don't like a certain area would be miserable everywhere.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
I chose my board name because I moved to NH and was finally free of the sickening nanny government intrusion that I spent too many years living with in NY.

I don't have to be "accepting and understanding" of everyone and, in fact, that's a pretty foolish way to be. I'll assume you're that way, since you suggested that I should be... so, are you "accepting and understanding" of Charles Manson then? Jeffrey Dahmer? How about the Islamic extremists who want to cut our heads off? (I would bet you're probably only "accepting and understanding" of people who are more like you.)

Personally, I've never met a lefty I had an ounce of respect for. Thus the reason I like to know peoples' political leanings before I waste time on them. I can live with it if you don't approve.
Well, things are always complicated in life, you rarely can put people in buckets.

For example, I could be a fiscal conservative but believe in a woman's right to have an abortion. So, that pits me against all the right-wing conservatives but I could be a republican when it comes to taxation or government size. I might have nothing against same sex marriages - who am I to tell someone what to do in their life would be my reasoning. That would be a right-wing no-no. Does that make me a bad person? I hope not, it probably just suggests that I am not religious. But does that make me bad too?

What you have (and always had) in the world is a disproportionate difference between countries and people who can access someone else's resources half a world away while those same people cannot access yours. You can interfere with their lives but they can't interfere with yours. You can take their resources for almost next to nothing but they can't use yours. Put the religion into the mix and you have a volatile situation. That's why there is so much hatred going around the world. Same in this country, as I illustrated above, you and I could have similar political views but once religion gets involved...

You cannot truly "Be Free" unless you try and liberate your mind

My $.02

Old 07-16-2011, 02:44 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:

Lefties usually are into all the above poor people who are 'just ill', and of course misunderstood , like the demon, lizard, cat and dog killer who grew to murder humans, namely my in laws......

The left says i should forgive all that. I have something rather different to say to the left.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Lefties usually are into all the above poor people who are 'just ill', and of course misunderstood , like the demon, lizard, cat and dog killer who grew to murder humans, namely my in laws......

The left says i should forgive all that. I have something rather different to say to the left.
If the religious right were truly religious, they would turn the other cheek and smile...

Old 07-16-2011, 10:54 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
They may smile, but they don't forget and foolishly let down their guards.

As if politics is the only way people judge others for potential friendships. If you were so keen on "turning the other cheek" or being so open minded, everyone would be your friend but I'm guessing you use some sort of gauge, don't you?

Or do you hang out with drug addicts, losers, lazy people and whiners? Because, hey, one should be open and not disregard based on a piece of their character.

Sorry, no, I agree with the others, I most certainly do use politics to figure out who I'm going to befriend and who I won't simply because those who don't think in a manner similar to mine are typically the ones voting in everything that I totally and completely stand against.

By the way, did you know that there are religious liberals, as well! There are! I know it may hurt your head to hear that but, it's the truth.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:06 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,916,017 times
Default Very tricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I disagree. If you're living in an area or a part of the country you don't like it can make life miserable.
For example the OP is Phoenix, well if you decide after a year or two that you find the heat too extreme you have a problem that impacts your life greatly.
You're not going to be running around wanting to volunteer and getting out in the community. You would limit yourself to going outside to go to work, the stores,etc. But you're going to spend the rest of your time inside your house with the A/C on.
Yes people do bring existing problems when they move, if you owe 20K in credit cards that debt is going with you.
But living in an area you don't like takes it toll on you. And moving from that area can improve your life and your outlook in general.
It is not true that people who don't like a certain area would be miserable everywhere.
People also bring their existing personal and psychological problems when they move, in addition to their credit card debt. This is a really tricky one to analyze. I think the OP needs to review carefully exactly what it is about where she now lives that she doesn't like - make a list. Can those things be improved by moving somewhere else? Climate issues can be solved by a move; strong preferences for urban/rural can be solved by a move. But so many people contain their misery within them. It's hard for us, I think, as readers of the OP, to decide which factors predominate here. The prevailing kind of people in a place could be the salvation of our happiness or the creation of our total misery. If I lived surrounded by hillbillies I would have nothing in common with them and would be miserable. Ditto if I were surrounded by religious fanatics of any persuasion. Do people issues predominate for the OP? (Yes, I know she doesn't like one of the neighbors, but that is not the kind of people issue I am talking about, as that could happen anywhere.) Very tricky to separate the misery within from the misery coming from outside of us, and very easy to fool ourselves about the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness