Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 02:48 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,498,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Just remember that conventional practitioners have ZERO training in wellness and restoring health. There are Naturopathic Doctors you could seek out who ARE trained and even EXPERIENCED in getting rid of so called "incurable" diseases that western medicine has no "cure" for.
Don't try to self medicate. You could waste a ton of money trying out supplements that may only be slightly helpful. A good naturopath will zero in and have you on no more than 3 to maybe five or 6 things max because taking too many things can send mixed messages to the brain.

Just my opinion....
You can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts. Every medical school in the US teaches normal human functioning and how it is maintained. What you think of as "wellness." Not "zero" as you assert. They do concentrate on illness, but then isn't that your predicate for sending seriously ill persons off to some naturopathic practitioners? To cure the "incurable" diseases? BTW, the term "incurable" is not a term of art in conventional medicine. It is an interpretation of what happens when there is no beneficial treatment for a disease or disorder. If a person is not receiving treatment for a disease from their physician, it is not because they are sentenced to death by their doctor, it is because there is no medical treatment that will help them. And if they drink colloidal silver water that is exactly the same thing - nothing that will help them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 07:31 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,469,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisbreakfast View Post
Are you all for real? Eating healthy, getting enough sleep, exercising, positive attitude or good network of healthy relationships, plus all that herbal and silver mumbo jumbo cost my cousin his life. He never would go to conventional doctor because he lived and breathed the garbage he bought from quacks online. Guess what? Pancreatic cancer got him at the ripe old age of 32! By the time he sought conventional medicine it was too late. So much for those silver garbage he thought was keeping him healthy. A combo of proper nutrition, exercise, and some common sense might have saved him.

Carry on with your natural stuff. Not saying it's all bad. I cook with fresh herbs all the time. I buy organic foods. I use lots of ginger, onions and garlic in cooking. I'd rather eat fresh fruit than drink the juice. I used to take in some herbal stuff like St. Johns wort, and that thing just about made me end up in the ER. My mother tried some kind of thistle a friend told her about and she a severe reaction.

Some of this stuff I read through here can do as much damage to your organs as conventional meds. Use common sense and not get carried away. By the way, not meaning to insult anyone but why is it most people who claim they have fibromyalgia all tend to be uptight, anal and come from dysfunctional
Backgrounds? Was wondering if there is a connection in the sense that they are too intense, and living in the past because of bad experiences etc. More to do with stress? Seems like meditation and letting go might help them.
I bet your cousin tried to self medicate and never saw an experienced naturopathic doctor either. Lots of people think they "eat healthy", or eat healthfully as it should be, who don't.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,469,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
You can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts. Every medical school in the US teaches normal human functioning and how it is maintained. What you think of as "wellness." Not "zero" as you assert. They do concentrate on illness, but then isn't that your predicate for sending seriously ill persons off to some naturopathic practitioners? To cure the "incurable" diseases? BTW, the term "incurable" is not a term of art in conventional medicine. It is an interpretation of what happens when there is no beneficial treatment for a disease or disorder. If a person is not receiving treatment for a disease from their physician, it is not because they are sentenced to death by their doctor, it is because there is no medical treatment that will help them. And if they drink colloidal silver water that is exactly the same thing - nothing that will help them.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong! How do you explain the millions of people who get rid of their so called "incurable" conditions and diseases WITHOUT going NEAR a conventional medical doctor then?

There are NUMEROUS ways people can retore their robust health who have so called "incurable" diseases. The quicker the American people wake up to this, the healthier they'll realize they can be by going to the APPROPRIATE medical practitioner --who is NOT necessarily a medical doctor. Again they need to understand the nature of their problem. If it is a chronic or degenerative disease or something western medicine has no "cure" for like Lymes Disease or MRSA or AIDS or HIV or CANCER they should RUN to the nearest proven Naturopath and do it sooner rather than later.

Another mistake people make is that they will FINALLY go to a Naturopath AFTER they have allowed conventional medicine to RUIN their immune system -- especially in the case of Cancer with all the poisonous treatments they use which just makes the problem worse and your ability to heal that much harder. Steve Jobs died from the chemotherapy he was taking not the Cancer.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,174,869 times
Dr Andrew Weil is perhaps the best-known of naturopaths. According to wiki,

Quote:
Andrew Thomas Weil (Born June 8, 1942) is an American author and physician, best known for establishing and popularizing the field of integrative medicine which attempts to integrate alternative and conventional medicine. Weil is the author of several best-selling books and operates a website and monthly newsletter promoting general health and healthy aging. He is the founder and Program Director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine (formerly the Program in Integrative Medicine), which he started in 1994 at the University of Arizona.[1]
What does Dr. Weil have to say about colloidal silver?

Quote:
Colloidal silver is a solution of silver particles suspended in liquid. It has been widely promoted as a cure-all. I've heard claims that it is an alternative to antibiotics, a cancer preventive, and a treatment for everything from ear infections to tuberculosis, shingles and AIDS. Promoters claim that colloidal silver can extend life and remedy mineral deficiencies that lead to a weakened immune system.

Nonsense. These claims are unproven. The human body has absolutely no need for silver. Contrary to claims made for it, colloidal silver is not a substitute for antibiotics, or any other medications. It is true that silver is an effective germicide, with limited usefulness in medicine. A problem with it is that it is not harmless. Silver can accumulate in the body and lead to a disfiguring skin condition called argyria, which causes bluish-gray skin pigmentation, especially around the nose and mouth, a color change that cannot be reversed. The appearance of people with this condition has been likened to that of corpses come suddenly to life. Long-term use of oral silver products has also led to neurological problems including seizures, as well as kidney damage, stomach distress, headaches, fatigue and skin irritation. It can also interfere with the absorption of some drugs including tetracycline antibiotics and thyroid hormone supplements.

In 1999 the FDA banned the sale of all over-the-counter drugs containing colloidal silver and silver salts on the grounds that these compounds haven't been recognized as safe. The ban doesn't apply to dietary supplements containing colloidal silver because the FDA has no jurisdiction over such products, unless there are safety issues. However, in some cases the FDA and FTC have taken action against marketers who claim that their colloidal silver products can treat, cure or prevent disease.

My advice? Beware and don't waste your money.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:51 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,813,270 times
I was just reading in a book today about civil war soldiers--back when they were enlisting soldiers on the Union side they had to turn away tens of thousands of willing soldiers b/c their health problems were too serious. Apparently many were left handicapped due to childhood diseases, which "produced pervasive pleurisy, dropsy, and rheumatism (inflammatory arthritis)." The Union army wasn't picky either: "They accepted the half-blind and the incontinent." The book is Good Germs, Bad Germs: Health and Survival in a Bacterial World. Of course we all know that half the Civil War soldiers died of infections and such, but that was due to poor sanitation. A fifty yo man back in the 1800's, whether he fought in the CW or not was closer to a 75 yo man today b/c of all the hardships and diseases that their bodies fought off, and those diseases took their toll. They were, however, much less likely to suffer from allergies, asthma, AD/HD, autism, alzheimer's, or autoimmune disorders. I was amused to read that when allergies first made their appearance, sufferers were just as likely to be met with derision as those with AD/HD or the less visible autoimmune disorders today--it was considered a rich man's or spoiled child's imaginary disorder.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,575,644 times
on homeopathy

Homeopathic Medicine Warning | The Consumer Warning Network

Old 10-09-2011, 05:15 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,953,485 times
An interesting point brought up in this thread... lifestyle actually causing disease. I'm not talking about gorging at McD's or smoking 3 packs a day or only leaving the sofa to go to the toilet... but actually the environment you live and work in and the types of stressors (physical and psychological) that we're subjected to on a daily basis. I do think that many "mystery illnesses" -- like CFS, fibro, etc -- are caused by, or at least exacerbated by, stress as well as an overload of exposure to normally benign substances. But just because something is stress-related doesn't mean it's "all in your head", and therefore a "fake" illness -- stress causes some really severe physical reactions and produces substantial toxins in our bodies that can and do produce serious illnesses. Psychosomatic illnesses are just as real as any other, they are not somatoform (caused entirely from a neurosis) or malingering (acting sick). And people who are, or become, sensitive/allergic to certain substances are actually suffering from a physical reaction caused by abnormally high or extended exposure... either of that particular agent or a total combined load of irritants. Your body can only take so much stress and toxin/irritant load before it starts to have problems, and everyone's level is different.

Therapy, meditation and other stress-reducing activities may help reduce symptoms and may help stop the disease from manifesting if caught early enough... but there is no guarantee that stress reduction after the fact is going to make the illness go away. No more than my husband becoming not allergic to horses just because we don't own any... not having them around means his allergy isn't triggered, but the allergy is still there and will be triggered the next time a horse comes around. It's the same with many of the stress-related illnesses.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,813,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Beware of what? That you're getting a product that may or may not work? I've known this about homeopathy for years, but strangely enough, I've had some homeopathic remedies work for me. There's no reason why they should have worked, but they did. I don't know--maybe water does have a memory, but I do know this--you won't be hurt by homeopathy, which is a lot more than you can say about a lot of stuff that's on the market today and if you really want to get me started, just ask me about it sometime. If my mother had been taking homeopathic sleep aids for all those years, maybe she wouldn't have lost her mind by the age of 75. I think you should beware all right, but not of homeopathy--fact is, most of the time your body will heal itself anyway and the idea with H is that it will nudge it in that direction.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:06 PM

25,843 posts, read 18,870,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parisbreakfast View Post
Are you all for real? Eating healthy, getting enough sleep, exercising, .... cost my cousin his life.
Just for the record, and I don't really think you meant it this way, but eating good foods, getting sufficient sleep so that your body can keep up with its regular function, and exercising, never cost anyone their lives.

As a side note: one of my pet peeves is that our modern society, on the whole, tends to discounts the value of sleep. They buzz on and on about good foods, keeping the cholesterol down, checking the blood pressure, exercising, etc... then they proceed to destroy their bodies by getting 2 hours of sleep a night and wiring themselves up on energy drinks when they can't see straight because their bodies are begging them for some sleep. It's a fight between their brains pumping "natural sedatives" because their body desperately needs some sleep and them pumping "softcore amphetamines" because they refuse to sleep.

It makes no sense. Of course, some folks need less sleep than others, but we all DO need whatever is sufficient for our bodies. If we don't get it, chances are increased that we will pay sooner or later just as the chances of paying sooner or later are increased by eating junk food, lying on the couch all day, smoking a pack a day, or a host of other non-healthy activities.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:12 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,575,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Beware of what? That you're getting a product that may or may not work? I've known this about homeopathy for years, but strangely enough, I've had some homeopathic remedies work for me. There's no reason why they should have worked, but they did. I don't know--maybe water does have a memory, but I do know this--you won't be hurt by homeopathy, which is a lot more than you can say about a lot of stuff that's on the market today and if you really want to get me started, just ask me about it sometime. If my mother had been taking homeopathic sleep aids for all those years, maybe she wouldn't have lost her mind by the age of 75. I think you should beware all right, but not of homeopathy--fact is, most of the time your body will heal itself anyway and the idea with H is that it will nudge it in that direction.
thank you
In looking around that website, they appear to be just another advocacy group for more gov't regulation. The site is total crap, I'm sorry I linked to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness