Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:44 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times

Advertisements

I can certainly understand the sentiments guys, but people who take pride in never seeking medical care, particularly in the second 40+, are usually the people who get surprised by strokes, heart attacks and who succomb to malignancy in the form of common cancers that are often quite manageable like bladder, skin and (sometimes) colon.

I just can't come around to thinking that it's a good idea to go through the high risk years not knowing what may be killing you and may be easy to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 01:33 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
As Thoreau once wrote, if we cannot control our few square feet of flesh, how are we to control anything?
Great quote. So true and applicable to our modern times for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
"And in those days men shall seek death and not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them." - Revelation 9:6.
A very chilling prophecy. One wonders how this will come about and if it's already in the works. This prophecy scares me more than if it would have stated, "And in those days men shall seek life and have it taken from them; and shall desire to live, and life shall flee from them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I just can't come around to thinking that it's a good idea to go through the high risk years not knowing what may be killing you and may be easy to fix.
And that's fine. It is certainly your right to feel any way you want about it. The question that comes up (due to previous comments) is whether or not we as individuals have the right to govern our own bodies--more specifically, do we have the right to refuse any and all medical treatments and/or procedures? The answer has been yes over and over and over in the courts. The law traditionally says we do. However, the Health Care Slavery Act is attempting to tell us we don't. It's cloaked in the simpleton phrase that "we all have the right to health care." The problem is, it's not allowing us to partake of that so-called right if we so choose, it's mandating a condition that has previously been found unlawful over and over and over.

Personally, I'm not trying to deny anyone medical care. But god**** it, find a way to get your medical care without forcing it upon me. Do not withdraw what the Constitution states as god-given rights endowed on all men. You people are selling your souls for a halfpence. Mandated capitalism (i.e. forcing me to buy something I don't want) is not a right, it's a shackle--and that's not even considering the parts of the Health Care Slavery Act that will force medical procedures upon us.

I really think we need to reinstate and reaffirm the 13th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. Does anyone remember the United States of America? I do. From somewhere in the history books.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
I can certainly understand the sentiments guys, but people who take pride in never seeking medical care, particularly in the second 40+, are usually the people who get surprised by strokes, heart attacks and who succomb to malignancy in the form of common cancers that are often quite manageable like bladder, skin and (sometimes) colon.

Many so-called "medical concerns" are manufactured by big pharma in a bid to sell more prescriptions.

For a very, very long time acceptable blood pressure levels was generally considered to be your age plus 100, i.e. if you were 40 140/80 or 90 was ok and not considered high. These standards were "revised" in the late 1990s or early 2000 to make *any* deviation from 120/80 a candidate for hypertension meds. The only reason was to sell more drugs. Plain and simple.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-09-2011, 01:44 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,289 times
Quote:

I find remarkable the assumption that anything must live and survive, no matter what.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:14 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
These standards were "revised" in the late 1990s or early 2000 to make *any* deviation from 120/80 a candidate for hypertension meds. The only reason was to sell more drugs. Plain and simple.

20yrsinBranson
Yep...and they've been "revised" again...to 110/70.

It's not us who are "sick"...it's the medical establishment! (And Lord, please protect me from the medically self-righteous!)

Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
A very chilling prophecy. One wonders how this will come about and if it's already in the works. This prophecy scares me more than if it would have stated, "And in those days men shall seek life and have it taken from them; and shall desire to live, and life shall flee from them."
This quote refers to the Great Tribulation, during the End Times. It lasts 7 years and starts with The Rapture (when the faithful are delivered to Heaven) and and ends with the Second Coming.

I guess we're not quite there yet...but who knows, it could be soon!

Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Many so-called "medical concerns" are manufactured by big pharma in a bid to sell more prescriptions.

For a very, very long time acceptable blood pressure levels was generally considered to be your age plus 100, i.e. if you were 40 140/80 or 90 was ok and not considered high. These standards were "revised" in the late 1990s or early 2000 to make *any* deviation from 120/80 a candidate for hypertension meds. The only reason was to sell more drugs. Plain and simple.

20yrsinBranson
I don't disagree with that. You'll never catch me on cholesterol or blood pressure medication, for example. I honestly believe that's within the "diet and exercise" domain.

But you may find me having an annual blood screen, the occasional chest X-ray, my 40th birthday colonoscopy, an annual dermatology survey and I'm not just going to assume that I have a giant prostate if the urinary flow changes.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I find remarkable the assumption that anything must live and survive, no matter what.
I would feel pretty stupid if I were dying from an illness that could have been easily dealt with if I had been routinely checked by a urologist, for example. Especially if my reasons for avoiding that urologist were borne out of some irrational principle.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And that's fine. It is certainly your right to feel any way you want about it. The question that comes up (due to previous comments) is whether or not we as individuals have the right to govern our own bodies--more specifically, do we have the right to refuse any and all medical treatments and/or procedures? The answer has been yes over and over and over in the courts. The law traditionally says we do. However, the Health Care Slavery Act is attempting to tell us we don't. It's cloaked in the simpleton phrase that "we all have the right to health care." The problem is, it's not allowing us to partake of that so-called right if we so choose, it's mandating a condition that has previously been found unlawful over and over and over.

Personally, I'm not trying to deny anyone medical care. But god**** it, find a way to get your medical care without forcing it upon me. Do not withdraw what the Constitution states as god-given rights endowed on all men. You people are selling your souls for a halfpence. Mandated capitalism (i.e. forcing me to buy something I don't want) is not a right, it's a shackle--and that's not even considering the parts of the Health Care Slavery Act that will force medical procedures upon us.

I really think we need to reinstate and reaffirm the 13th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America. Does anyone remember the United States of America? I do. From somewhere in the history books.
You're right, I guess I was pushing medical care on everyone and infringing their constitutional rights.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:54 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,618,066 times
The way I see it (and I'm sure I'm in the minority here, as I am everywhere else), I'm 53 years old, I've done everything I wanted to do, there are no surprises left for me in life, and most importantly, I made my peace with Death a long, long time ago.

Most people, when they see Death coming up the path to their house, run and hide, lock the doors and bolt the windows and break out in fervent prayer, beseeching whatever celestial being they believe in to save them.

I'll open the door wide, turn on all the lights and fling open the windows, put on some Pink Floyd and break out the libations.

Welcome any time, Honored Guest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness