Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 02:34 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Unless one is 100% "prepped" I see little reason to stock up on something for barter that may be something you wouldn't already have incorporated into your prepping stock anyway. Take care of needs first understanding the "one is none and two is one" rule. Stocked prep. items should be multi-purpose as much as possible.

So, for the puposes of this thread, if I am going to use .22lr then I should stock it and have enough extra to use for barter. However, if .22lr is not a caliber I already use or plan to use, then there is no reason to put it back for "just in case". Same applies to cheap vodka: if it is not something I would drink, why stock it?

In the possibility of an actual collapse won't new clean underwear, socks, shoes, beans/rice, garden plants, hygene products, real skills/knowledge go just as far if not further?

IMO, those who own and know how to use firearms have already considered stocking up on extra ammo. Those who do not have no use for it as they will be the sheeple easily hearded and controlled. Their suvival insticts are not going to kick in at the last minute if they are not already aware of what is happening all around us and beginning to take measures in stocking the obvious.

-just my $0.02, YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
When I think about booze as money, I think about homemade, not buying bottles. Mead, fruit wine, or even a basic corn likker - properly made - might come in handy. I won't stock that which I cannot use - but if I have too much corn, or fruit, or honey to use, that might be a useful way to keep it from going to waste.

One of the things that attracted me to this little tiny town is that it earned its reputation for being a corn likker capitol. They've pulled up the RR tracks that used to drop off traincars full of sugar here twice a week for that purpose, but their cussedly independent attitude of "we'll make it ourselves" has continued to this day in their other projects.

I made lard-and-lye soap this past fall, and gave one of the bars to the HS science class which also made soap, so they could talk about chemical reactions and fats, and different ways to do things. These kids may never make soap again in their lives - but if they have to, they'll know how. It is this attitude of learning about, and hands-on experience with, doing things for themselves that the community fosters.

We already use the barter system around here; it is in the blood to deal and share and trade. If a neighbor needs shells or cartridges, we can and do trade for things we need already, so these things will be part and parcel of our lives - still. Someone coming from 'outside' might not get as good a deal as the locals, but then if the SHTF, we don't expect a lot of folks coming this way.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
We have stocked small bottles of various alcoholic beverages, and several cartons of smokes wrapped in plastic in the freezer. We don't use either in our normal daily lives. Also ammo of various sizes, some of which I personally use during hunting season. But we have seen folks who are addicted to nicotine, alcohol, and various drugs (shhh...we have a few of those, too), and these addictions are likely to become even more severe during times of great stress. That's why we keep some on board; when ya gotta have it, ya gotta have it, or you can go through terrible withdrawal during a time when you really need to keep yourself stable.

Even those who do not have severe addictions, might welcome a good drink, smoke, or psychotropic drug purely for release during stressful times. I surely hope it does not come to that, but my better senses tell me to expect it.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Ten percent of Americans are alcoholics. I can be in the alcohol business in a few days with no supplies except my knowledge of how to do it. There's no reason to keep illegal materials on hand and good reason not to do so.

My customers will find gold to pay me if they need to sell their teenage daughters.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:43 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Their suvival insticts are not going to kick in at the last minute if they are not already aware of what is happening all around us and beginning to take measures in stocking the obvious.
In the crush of what is the western world the amount of information that flows in minute to minute is overwhelming to all the senses which overrides basic common sense.

What worries me the that of all the items needed for any sort of survival is centered on guns and ammo. Does that mean all we're supposed to do to survive is kill each other for scraps left from a former civilization?

Nothing is discussed on rebuilding a community that works together for common survival.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
In the crush of what is the western world the amount of information that flows in minute to minute is overwhelming to all the senses which overrides basic common sense.

What worries me the that of all the items needed for any sort of survival is centered on guns and ammo. Does that mean all we're supposed to do to survive is kill each other for scraps left from a former civilization?

No, but defending ourselves from those who want our 'scraps' would be a choice that many will either make - or suffer the consequences.
Do I want or look forward to shooting people? No. Will I, in exiegency? You betcha. I am not "centered" on guns and ammo - but I consider them as necessary in a complete approach toward survival as killing the coyote pack or mountain lion that thinks it is entitled to my calves.

Nothing is discussed on rebuilding a community that works together for common survival.
I thought that's what I was discussing in my post. As well as what I discuss on other threads...

Old 02-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
"No, but defending ourselves from those who want our 'scraps' would be a choice that many will either make - or suffer the consequences.
Do I want or look forward to shooting people? No. Will I, in exiegency? You betcha. I am not "centered" on guns and ammo - but I consider them as necessary in a complete approach toward survival as killing the coyote pack or mountain lion that thinks it is entitled to my calves.

I thought that's what I was discussing in my post. As well as what I discuss on other threads...

Your posts chest pounding aside no one know what they will do when faced with killing another human until they either pull the trigger or not. Because from that moment on they will not be the same person........they will have become a predator

Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Defense is not predation.
Call it what you like. <shrug>

Old 02-06-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Defense is not predation.
Call it what you like. <shrug>
Not to pick nits Granny. But unless you've had to kill a human there is just no way to know that "feeling" after it's over. As a former soldier I can honestly say no one wants to go down that road.

No one.........

Old 02-06-2012, 09:42 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Your posts chest pounding aside no one know what they will do when faced with killing another human until they either pull the trigger or not. Because from that moment on they will not be the same person........they will have become a predator

Most of the things you say with I... To put it politely.... Disagree with, but this in particular.

Having been to sandy places and pulled a few triggers, I must (Again) disagree.

I also find it insulting to service members, Police officers, and those who have acted in defense of themselves and others.

Lastly, Without chest pounding, let me add that some of us know exactly how we will react if we must do so. Again.

As to guns and ammo... They are interesting, moreso say, than the handsaw I bought the other day.

Who was the writer who said: "Civilized people sleep soundly in their beds because rough men patrol the streets, insuring their welfare."

Weapons are not the thing which destroy civilization, they preserve it.
Otherwise everyone would be at the mercy of the biggest guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness