Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:49 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Not to pick nits Granny. But unless you've had to kill a human there is just no way to know that "feeling" after it's over. As a former soldier I can honestly say no one wants to go down that road.

No one.........
I do not disparage your service, nor your reaction to killing another human being.

There is a difference, however, in being sent somewhere to defend your country, and choosing to defend your home and family when no one else will be there to do so.

I won't be looking to kill some itinerant hobo coming to the door looking for food and a place to sleep - but neither will I invite him in. He might have friends waiting for him to open the door for them, or he might try to steal or kill while within our confines. Hunger and deprivation can make people self-seeking and violent - especially if they've been taught that they have a right to what others have worked hard to create and produce.

I won't be sitting in my basement hunkered over my supplies and ammo, loaded shotgun in hand, quaking and shooting at every noise; neither will I be out on the prod looking for a fight. If it comes to me, there will be a fight. If it never comes, I'm perfectly content with that. If my good neighbors need help defending themselves and what they have, I'll be right there for them - just as they will be for me. But we won't have barbed wire and gates stretched across the road, stopping anyone from passing by, with our loaded shotguns pointed at their midsections.

I won't give up what I have struggled and worked to raise and maintain, but I won't arm myself to go take it from others, either. If they want to trade and barter, that's fine - be it for wheat or corn, corn likker or .22 cartridges. If they think that they have a right to what we have - those .22s will help change their thoughts. If you think that is chest-thumping - you have a right to think what you want.

If you choose to not defend yourself or your family, or help and defend your neighbors, that is your choice. But don't disparage or insult others for making a different choice. We don't all believe - although some do! - that opening one's doors and inviting thieves and beggars alike in, to share in their bounty until it is gone, until we are all 'equal', is the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
.22 cartridges? HAHA, do you people have any concept of usable ammunition calibers? A .22 is a small step above a BB. I would be tired of shooting squirrles and possum after awhile, which is about the only game that a .22 will bring down.
Plus no survivalist would be without gunpowder and a reloader.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:09 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
.22 cartridges? HAHA, do you people have any concept of usable ammunition calibers? A .22 is a small step above a BB. I would be tired of shooting squirrles and possum after awhile, which is about the only game that a .22 will bring down.
Plus no survivalist would be without gunpowder and a reloader.
Poachers kill many deer with a .22 every year.

Wouldn't trust it to STOP a threat... but it'll kill.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Poachers kill many deer with a .22 every year.

Wouldn't trust it to STOP a threat... but it'll kill.
Sure it will, but come on, you got people here with these Rambo and G.I. Joe survival thoughts on here...with a .22. I mean...seriously? I fear their is a serious lack of firearms knowledge going around. Not with everyone, but some need to do a reality check.

The only benifit is, I guess, there are so many .22 rifles in the public possession. And having any firarm is better than not having any at all. Mostly a .22 is used for plinking or target practice I would gather, not exactly a recreational pursuit in demand during a survivalist situation.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:42 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Most of the things you say with I... To put it politely.... Disagree with, but this in particular.

Having been to sandy places and pulled a few triggers, I must (Again) disagree.

I also find it insulting to service members, Police officers, and those who have acted in defense of themselves and others.

Lastly, Without chest pounding, let me add that some of us know exactly how we will react if we must do so. Again.

As to guns and ammo... They are interesting, moreso say, than the handsaw I bought the other day.

Who was the writer who said: "Civilized people sleep soundly in their beds because rough men patrol the streets, insuring their welfare."

Weapons are not the thing which destroy civilization, they preserve it.
Otherwise everyone would be at the mercy of the biggest guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I do not disparage your service, nor your reaction to killing another human being.

There is a difference, however, in being sent somewhere to defend your country, and choosing to defend your home and family when no one else will be there to do so.

I won't be looking to kill some itinerant hobo coming to the door looking for food and a place to sleep - but neither will I invite him in. He might have friends waiting for him to open the door for them, or he might try to steal or kill while within our confines. Hunger and deprivation can make people self-seeking and violent - especially if they've been taught that they have a right to what others have worked hard to create and produce.

I won't be sitting in my basement hunkered over my supplies and ammo, loaded shotgun in hand, quaking and shooting at every noise; neither will I be out on the prod looking for a fight. If it comes to me, there will be a fight. If it never comes, I'm perfectly content with that. If my good neighbors need help defending themselves and what they have, I'll be right there for them - just as they will be for me. But we won't have barbed wire and gates stretched across the road, stopping anyone from passing by, with our loaded shotguns pointed at their midsections.

I won't give up what I have struggled and worked to raise and maintain, but I won't arm myself to go take it from others, either. If they want to trade and barter, that's fine - be it for wheat or corn, corn likker or .22 cartridges. If they think that they have a right to what we have - those .22s will help change their thoughts. If you think that is chest-thumping - you have a right to think what you want.

If you choose to not defend yourself or your family, or help and defend your neighbors, that is your choice. But don't disparage or insult others for making a different choice. We don't all believe - although some do! - that opening one's doors and inviting thieves and beggars alike in, to share in their bounty until it is gone, until we are all 'equal', is the right thing to do.

This is the reason I seldom share my military time with others. It is so hard to do since it stirs to many memories for all concerned. Your military time is your own and no one can see it the same way you do.

My point was.......it hard to kill another human being.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Only for those who think that the lives of outsiders are more important than their own lives and the lives of their loved ones.

Kill without sorrow; kill without joy; but kill with satisfaction.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:02 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
This is the reason I seldom share my military time with others. It is so hard to do since it stirs to many memories for all concerned. Your military time is your own and no one can see it the same way you do.

Not at all, 9 year olds do it in Africa every day!

AFTERWARDS... well, there's one that gives me some bad nights.

My buddies are the ones who give me the bad times. Nov 10-11 I just need not to talk to people.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:21 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Not to change the subject but, I assume most people here know how to make a zip gun for .22 caliber cartridges? I don't think I am allowed to post instructions up here, but when I was in high school, I could make one that was as accurate as a pistol in about an hour. So, the cartridges will be good, with or without firearms, for sure.

And, of course a .22 will kill a man, or disable him to be killed by other means, or any large animal, absurd commentary above to the contrary notwithstanding. Trust me on this, if you shoot an animal in the head with a .22 LR you just have to track it for a while and after an hour or so it will lay down and die.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
And, of course a .22 will kill a man, or disable him to be killed by other means, or any large animal, absurd commentary above to the contrary notwithstanding. Trust me on this, if you shoot an animal in the head with a .22 LR you just have to track it for a while and after an hour or so it will lay down and die.
Oh really? Absurd commentary? Go to the gun site in this forum and present your theories, please. We would love to hear them. Sure, it will kill. A spitball will kill a man under the proper circumstances. But a gun is a tool, and you use the proper tool for a job. You can use a shoe to hammer a nail as well, but it's not a proper tool.
If that's all you got, then fine. I am not disparaging .22 owners. It's a good tool for the purpose it serves, most .22 rifles are reliable and dependable, and ammo is cheap. But a .22 is not the proper tool for anything other than small game, it is not a proper tool for self defense. That's a fact, not opinion.

Last edited by Dd714; 02-08-2012 at 07:48 AM..

Old 02-08-2012, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,823 times
Trade Shows for guns accept 22 long rifle cartridges for extra (to boot) when trading. Like change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness