Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 03:22 PM

21 posts, read 31,257 times

Advertisements

I have some land that cane with 2 mobile homes that are unfit for human habitation. I plan to salvage the siding and use it for the chicken coupe, bunny bungalow, and the goat get-together. That leaves me with 4 -I beams. Can these be used for overhead supports in an under ground bunker?
I know very little about trailers and even less about bunkers, any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
If the OP knows nothing about construction methods which would keep the intended "bunker" from collapsing in upon him/her and becoming an instant grave, I suggest contacting a construction professional. There are a few areas in FL where one can dig a basement without hitting the water table, but not many.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:12 PM

The land is in Tennessee. I am now in FL but will soon be moving, should have mentioned it. Sorry.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:30 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfarmertoo View Post
I have some land that cane with 2 mobile homes that are unfit for human habitation. I plan to salvage the siding and use it for the chicken coupe, bunny bungalow, and the goat get-together. That leaves me with 4 -I beams. Can these be used for overhead supports in an under ground bunker?
I know very little about trailers and even less about bunkers, any help will be appreciated.

if you want a home that can also double as a bunker or something along those lines, then take a look at earth sheltered homes.

Earth Sheltered Homes by Underground Home builder, Davis Caves Illinois

Old 04-23-2012, 04:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfarmertoo View Post
yes, they can be used. Most likely it will be as a unpermitted structure since the beams will need to have some structual something designation or rating to be used in a permitted construction. If the beams specs are known, any engineer or archtect would just incorporate them in the plans outlining the codes they meet. Think of it the exact same as when an engineer uses a flat railroad car as a bridge, they are certifying based on the specs of that railroad car (not it as a railroad car only the specifications of the material and construction) that it meet the codes and engineering for that type bridge.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM

thank you. I may try it. CB walls and 4 ft over head and I have a good cool room for storage and me too if I need it. I do not like waste.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
I have another idea, and was actually considering doing this using a shipping container.

It's more difficult to dig a large hole (or more expensive, if you have someone else excavate for you) than it is to just leave it on flat land, and build a mound over it. Would look like a natural hill, esp if placed near another hill, and planted over to native vegetation. You could have the dirt trucked in and just dumped right near the structures you intend to "bury".

This way you avoid all issues with groundwater, and if you wrap the structure with tyvek you should avoid rust. You need about a solid foot of packed earth to protect against nuclear infiltration, but this design that I call "the mound" should easily provide that.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Burying a shipping container, even above ground, is risky unless it is engineered properly. They are not structural other than the corners.

There is a good book on pressure treated foundations. There is also free guidance from the APA.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,947,979 times
I'm assuming that these are steel I-beams from the base frame of the mobile home?

You can look up the allowances on a steel beam load/span table. You can also download the entire 2000 Residential Structural Design Guide

This slide deck on structural design considerations gives the densities of most common soil types and shows you how to calculate and apply the loads your building materials and design need to be able to support for your application. Once you know the load, you can go back to the load/span table and verify that your beams and their spacing will safely support the soil load across the span of any subterannean room you design. (this is exactly the same as the more common roof spans and snow loads)

Another awesome slide deck explaining structure loads and design considerations with residential construction. If you hire a structural engineer (recommended!) to design or confirm your designs, it's still good to understand what he's doing for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness