Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 05:47 PM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Again you are making conclusions about me. You only missed throwing in the "your liberal friends" sticker! Just because you are living a comfortable life does not mean you are in debt. Quite the contrary actually.

OD
Ah, doggonit! I knew I forgot something! The liberal friends thing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 07:05 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
My neighbor has a sewing business. She makes costumes for local theater people. It took her years to build that business up and requires state of the art equipment that requires electricity in order to operate it. You cannot do that from a van. You cannot do that sewing by hand. In the OP's original post she stated she wanted to exchange "time" for a hot meal, a bath and a place to sleep. What does that have to do with sewing? And now a child? Something doesn't add up here.

All she needs is one knock on the window of her van one night from a cop while she and her child are asleep in a residential neighborhood or parking lot of a building. If he discovers she and a minor have been sleeping in a van without a home I have a feeling Child and Services will get into the picture.

This is not traveling; it's running away.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:06 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,159 times
By the age of 32 one should be established.

So what was your goal for when you reached 32 ?

If this is the kind of life you want?

At least be a trucker.

I know a guy who was a goof off till he was 38.
Then went to trucking school.

First time in his life he doesn't have to depend on hand outs.
He likes it....gee, who knew?

Old 12-29-2012, 08:52 AM

25,725 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
By the age of 32 one should be established.

So what was your goal for when you reached 32 ?

If this is the kind of life you want?

At least be a trucker.

I know a guy who was a goof off till he was 38.
Then went to trucking school.

First time in his life he doesn't have to depend on hand outs.
He likes it....gee, who knew?
Why is it that we assume if one does not have 2.5 kids, a McMansion with a Lexus in the circle driveway, and a dog inside the white picket fence, that one is living off "hand outs"?

I can make money on a job and live in the backseat of a Yugo, for crying out loud. With today's technology, living in a van and making money is not hard at all. All one needs is a computer with wireless. Instant job. No need for the white toast customary manacles that everyone assumes they need and everyone else tells them they must want. All that money which would have been necessary to sustain the institutionalized excess would suddenly become unnecessary. Those hours of life that were wasted would not have to be wasted.

Is it so hard to understand that some people are not interested in living your lifestyle?

Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 AM

If people don't want to live my life style?

They can't use MY Bathroom.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 AM

"SELF-Sufficiency and Preparedness" ?

Is not bumming around using other people's stuff the rest of your life.

There should be another topic for what she wants to do.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Why is it that we assume if one does not have 2.5 kids, a McMansion with a Lexus in the circle driveway, and a dog inside the white picket fence, that one is living off "hand outs"?
Chris you seem to be either black or white. It's either **** poor, working the land like in the 1800s or a McMansion and Lexus.

Quote:
I can make money on a job and live in the backseat of a Yugo, for crying out loud. With today's technology, living in a van
You can't out of a Yugo. It would have fallen apart after 3 months or 3,000 miles, whichever comes first

The time has come where to live the lifestyle she wants she has to be rich and/or debt free plus substantial savings.

Even the sodbusters and homesteaders lived in sod houses that leaked and were cold etc. It was a HARSH life. Living out of a back of a van would be no different. You would have to exhaust all your other options in society to put up with that. Or you are in your 20s or 30s, no obligations, no debt and not a care in the world. Even that would get old after 6 months to a year. But with young children and no obvious way to make money? I'll tell you what would happen - the 12yr old would get sick and would most likely end up at someone's doorstep.

OD

Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:

I can make money on a job and live in the backseat of a Yugo, for crying out loud. With today's technology, living in a van and making money is not hard at all. All one needs is a computer with wireless. Instant job. No need for the white toast customary manacles that everyone assumes they need and everyone else tells them they must want. All that money which would have been necessary to sustain the institutionalized excess would suddenly become unnecessary. Those hours of life that were wasted would not have to be wasted.

Is it so hard to understand that some people are not interested in living your lifestyle?
You are too quick to take offense. The poster to whom you were responding above said he knows the guy he was telling about. To me that means that when he says the guy had been living on handouts before becoming a truck driver at age 38, it is something he knows because he knows the individual. No one was accusing you personally of living on handouts because you have chosen a non-traditional lifestyle.

I think that poster raised an excellent point, although I would be quick to agree the point has nothing to do with you personally. In my view, that point is: For some (many?) people, all the talk about rejecting the "wage slave" life, yadda, yadda, yadda, is a euphemistic cover-up for their own laziness and dysfunctionality, because at the same time they are espousing their lofty principles they have their hand out to parents, siblings, cousins, friends, church soup kitchens/various give-away programs, and perhaps the taxpayers. Remember - this is not you I am describing, Chris!

Old 12-29-2012, 12:25 PM

We bought a 29ft travel trailer last Nov.
And spent 4 months in it out west.

We had the money to have fun and stay at some nice RV resorts.
We took our Harley too and had a great time.

But, I was so ready to get out of that box. And be in a house.
It was real expensive. We had to sell the trailer soon as we got home!

Stuck in the snow now...dream'n of Az.
Remembering the fun we had...maybe next year.

Been to Az 3 times now. Would like to live there, I think.
We've talked about it.
But most the time we like our home here at the lake in the woods.

So I could not imagine living out of a van.

Old 12-29-2012, 04:03 PM

245 posts, read 385,991 times
That doesn't sound fun to live out of a van. At least get a small camper/rv, so you can feel like you're at home. I don't see the cost savings of having to trade time or sewing for a place to shower/sleep/use the restroom. Also, with a windowed van, you have to think about someone breaking a window. If it's left parked where someone thinks there is stuff inside, someone will eventually smash a window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness