Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,931,619 times

Advertisements

- Well they announced last night that a certain school is on propane shortage notice.

What used to cost 12,000 dollars now will cost 50,000 dollars!

Rats and I didn't fill up my tank. Sure glad I got that wood burner and a shed full of wood.
Cause I'm not going to pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
There is no propane shortage here.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- Well they announced last night that a certain school is on propane shortage notice.

What used to cost 12,000 dollars now will cost 50,000 dollars!

Rats and I didn't fill up my tank. Sure glad I got that wood burner and a shed full of wood.
Cause I'm not going to pay more.
It's just temporary as the cold weather has caused demand to spike while snow is blocking some roads especially in the upper midwest.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:54 PM

- No matter how temporary I don't want to pay more or be delayed in getting it when I need it most.

But, I just found out that although I did not call to have the tank filled this time, my spouse did.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's just temporary as the cold weather has caused demand to spike while snow is blocking some roads especially in the upper midwest.

No, it got nothing to do about snow blocking roads.

I live in the Ozarks of north Arkansas and filled my 250 gallon tank on October 25 at $1.79

Yesterday I was down to 15% so I called my supplier and he stated in a stern voice.........." name "......" previous customer ".........." address".............."$3.99 , 100 gallons per delivery only"

It is the same story in MN ( son on farm said )

The propane guy on TV said price should start dropping rapidly in 6 weeks.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't think the shortage is nationwide. The shortage is with people who could not plan ahead far enough to fill their tank because winter was coming. Winter always catches a portion of the population completely by surprise.

The press loves to turn every minor thing into a huge drama and they will stir up hysteria if they can.

My apologies to the people back east, because I know that they are hurting, but my family has to giggle every time the news anchor is going on about how the snow is making life hellish and he is standing there in snow that doesn't come halfway up his shoes and you can see that there is no more than an inch of snow anywhere behind him.

They do it here, too. The news anchor will be going on about how everything is shut down and cars can't drive on the road, and you can see lawn grass poking through the little bit of snow behind him.
Your first paragraph is only an opinion that was formed w/o using facts.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Wow oregon - you got THAT one right! We haven't yet got one quarter of the snow they predicted we'd get! Is this country turning into a bunch of sissies? I used to walk to school in far more snow than they keep the kids home now for!
I've been wondering the same thing for some time now When I was a kid we rode horses 2 1/2 miles each way to school, all weather. I frostbit my cheeks one time when the mercury was -25.
And no it wasn't in the 1800's when I went to school, the school is still in operation, still has the barns we used to this day.

No mention of a shortage in my area.

I only keep a couple of hundred pound tanks for shop heaters though, my primary heat is wood so not really affected here.

I did notice the price on my last tank was up when I bought it in December, but it always goes up in the winter.
My parents backup with propane heat, but have plenty of wood and when I checked last weekend they still had over 60 percent in their 1000 gal tank so they should be fine until we fill again next summer.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM

How does one even know if there is a shortage in their area until they actually try to place an order?

Seems the posters why deny there is a shortage have not done that.

I was unaware ,also, until my son who lives back on the dairy farm 870 miles away mentioned it.

He asked if there was a huge price hike and rationing where I live.

I replied that I hadn't heard.

However, yesterday when I did have to call in an order, I found out the price had spiked and it was being rationed.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
No, it got nothing to do about snow blocking roads.

I live in the Ozarks of north Arkansas and filled my 250 gallon tank on October 25 at $1.79

Yesterday I was down to 15% so I called my supplier and he stated in a stern voice.........." name "......" previous customer ".........." address".............."$3.99 , 100 gallons per delivery only"

It is the same story in MN ( son on farm said )

The propane guy on TV said price should start dropping rapidly in 6 weeks.

- Rats, my spouse doesn't even know what it's going to cost us yet!
Cause we've not got the bill yet (???)
Geez, I would have ask, and then said no thanks (if it's that high).
I'd put the wood burner back in till it comes down!
I guess we need to share more...

Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Propane has never been below $2.49/gallon here on the Texas South High Plains in the last five years I've been here. This past October, I paid $2.69. Nowadays, I only use propane for heating water and a pellet stove for heating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness