Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2015, 05:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,239,548 times

Advertisements

Disagreeing about what?
My contention this entire thread has been that all eras have their pluses and minuses and to romanticize one as somehow better than another only reflects a poor grasp of history.

You disagree with that?

Last edited by itsMeFred; 04-26-2015 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,045,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
There was no income tax; there were no gun laws.
Well, you better go back another 100 years to find your happy time, because the first gun control law was in Georgia in 1837, and the first income tax was in 1862.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,624,150 times
I fiund this recipe yesterday before a trip to town to resupply myself with victuals. It was a happy circumstance that I found the recipe just before the trip so that I could buy clotted cream. I had a very pleasant dinner of herring, pancakes, and tea. I recommend this highly. I did, however, use strawberry preserves (English) instead of apricot.

Copper bowls have long been used, but the whisk is an early nineteenth century invention. It's far more practical than the later eggbeater that appeared in so many iterations.

There's all sorts of information on Victorian Britain but so little on this country. That's fine. I wouldn't have minded being an English lord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHvpD-fy2c0

Old 04-29-2015, 08:25 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,598,038 times
Nice

Basically a crepe'. I make those with Strawberries and whipped cream, Service berries, huckleberries or sometimes with cream cheese.

Lefsa is the Scandinavian version of these, made from riced potatoes. Excellent with butter and sugar, or I really like Lingonberry jam on Lefsa too.

For this kind of thing, Wild Raspberries can't be beaten with sour cream, clotted cream, whipped cream or cream cheese.

Great way to start the morning!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,945,294 times
I have thumbed thru this post a few times and since my father born in 1884 was part of your topic I will mention a little of his history.He died in 1938,was a carpenter by trade and started out in Pinebluff NC.,lost everything in the depression.
He traveled to Ct with a Model T converted into a conestoga with a wood stove,this trip took 7 days over muddy roads,pushing and having horses pull them out of the mud around 1920,he did this in the spring and eventually built our home in Windsor CT after our home burnt to the ground.
The irony of this is his brother survived the Klondike only to die in a car accident around,1918 or so.I have copies of his letters he sent to his wife.
As for plague and deaths,I have family ancestory book from early 1800 starting from the steel mills of England to the steel mills of USA.Pretty hard times during this period with no real medicines or medical care.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:58 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,624,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Nice

Basically a crepe'. I make those with Strawberries and whipped cream, Service berries, huckleberries or sometimes with cream cheese.

Lefsa is the Scandinavian version of these, made from riced potatoes. Excellent with butter and sugar, or I really like Lingonberry jam on Lefsa too.

For this kind of thing, Wild Raspberries can't be beaten with sour cream, clotted cream, whipped cream or cream cheese.

Great way to start the morning!
I love Lingonberries. They're great on poultry as well. Just a bit really hits the spot on chicken or duck. I like the preseves and whole lingonberries in syrup. I'll use some on my pancakes fit for an English lord the next time I fix them.

I do like fish for breakfast, fresh caught trout with eggs and potatoes or fish smoked or preserved in some way. Fresh oysters are incredible in the morning. With a nice sauce you have both something to eat and something to drink. Emily Post doesn't mention it, but everyone I've known has said that drinking from the shell is suitable for informal occasions.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:15 AM

6,758 posts, read 8,598,038 times
Quote:
I do like fish for breakfast, fresh caught trout with eggs and potatoes or fish smoked or preserved in some way. Fresh oysters are incredible in the morning. With a nice sauce you have both something to eat and something to drink. Emily Post doesn't mention it, but everyone I've known has said that drinking from the shell is suitable for informal occasions.
Nothing better than fresh caught trout cooked for breakfast on a campfire right next to the stream the fish lived in Big pile of hash browns, big cup of camp coffee, what could be better??

Smoked trout, salmon, whitefish are all excellent anytime of the day.

Not a big fan of oysters though....

Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,504,000 times
Quote:
I love Lingonberries. They're great on poultry as well. Just a bit really hits the spot on chicken or duck. I like the preseves and whole lingonberries in syrup. I'll use some on my pancakes fit for an English lord the next time I fix them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Nothing better than fresh caught trout cooked for breakfast on a campfire right next to the stream the fish lived in Big pile of hash browns, big cup of camp coffee, what could be better??

Smoked trout, salmon, whitefish are all excellent anytime of the day.

Not a big fan of oysters though....
I was surprised to find that lingonberries do grow in northern New England! We love fresh native wild blueberries, which grow in most areas of Maine. We have planted a lot of berries there on our property (I'm still out of state in TN). We have also planted loganberries and highbush cranberry, as well as a patch of rosa rugosa which produces a very high vitamin C rosehip. You can make jelly or tea with it.

I caught some lake trout last year, and we did cook it up on one of those applewood fires I was experimenting with back then. Eggs, potatoes, onions and peppers, and various sausages are common fare at my outdoor griddle in Maine. The solar glazing panels will probably come off the deck when I return next week, to be replaced by screening. Wife says the bugs are the size of cats!

BTW, you're making me hungry!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 PM

3,125 posts, read 2,079,456 times
Happy in Wyoming

There's all sorts of information on Victorian Britain but so little on this country

Details on American daily life are harder to find than resources on Britain.

Thank you for not referring to 19th century America as Victorian like so many do. Victoria was not our queen, and Americans were not interested in emulating Brits, their former enemy oppressors.

Rich Americans took cues from continental Europe, primarily France, on food, etiquette and other customs, and made some of them uniquely American. There were many American published periodicals targeting emerging middle class folk, who were emulating and working toward that upper class lifestyle.

If you are interested in cookery, thousands of recipes were published for prepararion on wood cook stoves, which I believe you said you use. Antique recipes have to be converted for modern ovens.

Here are some books accessible online
Http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/subj...start_index=26

I have gathered more information about day-to-day life, both rural and city life, from American periodicals, journals and letters. Some of the periodicals accessible here are American, but these comprise a small fraction of late 19th century American publications.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Catego...cals_Bookshelf

The library of congress has an online collection of American newspapers which are helpful with putting the pieces together
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers

This page has links to other libraries with online collections https://archive.org/details/american...wnloads&page=2

These online resources are a good start for anyone interested in 19th century America. I have more if interested.

Thanks for the cycling links.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:16 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,079,456 times
Still relatively popular today is the 1887 edition of The White House Cook Book, Cooking, Toilet and Household Recipes, Menus, Dinner-Giving, Table Etiquette ... a comprehensive cyclopedia

This is a modern reprint http://www.amazon.com/Original-White.../dp/0824103394

This is a free ebook of a scanned original http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13923...-h/13923-h.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness