Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times

Advertisements

Recently moved to the Chicagoland area, have only been here a few months. My job is great, all except for the fact that I have all of 4 coworkers, and all of them are old enough to be my father, and I never work with more than 1 at a time. So I'm definitely not going to make friends there.

I've been content the last few months with getting things situated in my new life here, taking care of the bills, changing my address, adapting to the new lifestyle, buying new furniture for the place, and settling into a new groove.

My main missing ingredient is knowing people. Throughout much of my life religion has played a small and mostly insignificant role, but if it helps me branch out and meet people in the area I'm willing to consider it. I'm looking to make new friends and branch out in the community and meet people, I'm a little rusty on this since all of my previous jobs either had so many coworkers that we were all friends or I knew people in my local area from high school and college and such, this new area has absolutely no one I know. Have any of you been in this situation before? What did you do to meet and make new friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 12:01 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,524,586 times
Might want to ask this in the Chicago forum part of city data too...

We moved to a new area far away from any known friends, but we have school age kids which exposes us to people. And their events keep us busy for now.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:22 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
I'm originally from the Chicago area. Although I grew up in the relatively pleasant suburb of Riverside I attended a private high school in Chicago. I do not envy you. Weather, both summer and winter, is wretched. Traffic is unbelievable. However, those things are inconsequential. What makes Chicago itself as well as the surrounding area in Illinois utterly unlivable is the combination of crime and institutionalized corruption. Coupled with years of having no legal way to go armed, the city has long been a danger zone. When an old tunnel was breached under the downtown area by incompetent workers and Michigan Avenue was suddenly underwater armed and very violent street gangs began the systematic pillaging of stranded motorists. The police were nowhere to be found. There were deaths.

Do your best to get out of there as quickly as possible. Meanwhile, start exploring the forest preserve fo emergency BOL. The denizens of that area have little interest in places uncovered by concrete. Have caches of food, water, guns, and warm clothing. Even in the worst rioting you're likely to have many areas largely to yourself. While you're preparing you can learn to do some foraging; there's a wide variety of wild edibles. In fact, the forest preserve is one of the few bright spots in that wretched place. The Garfield Park Conservatory in the city has an excellent collection for both study and enjoyment, but the surrounding neighborhood is unspeakable. Be especially careful to be well armed. That, of course, goes for the whole area.

Avoid the youth culture at all costs. It's centered around dissolute behavior. Drugs, drunken melees, and venereal diseases are integral parts of it. Many people spend every evening in taverns. Try to make friends with your older coworkers. They're still likely to be Democrats, but you never know. They may have some good advice for you.

Arm yourself; stockpile supplies; be ready for anything. You posted in the right place on c-d. We'll be happy to advise and help in your plight.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:25 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
The Self Sufficency/Preparedness forum is kind of a strange choice for asking how to meet people as most of the folks on here aren't really gregarious.

But, when I want to meet people, I look at the folks that are doing the things I like to do. So that means going to gun shows or Rendevous, county fairs, steam engine expositions, I go to horse shows, team pulling, logging festivals, heritage day events, Veterans programs, etc.

I am kind of anti-social myself, keep to a very small circle of family and friends, so as you noted you are in the Chicago area, you may wish to post your question on that forum.

Good Luck.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:28 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,836,130 times
Don't discount your coworkers totally. You could be asked to a gathering where you meet people. Just keep the doors open.

You might get more responses and insight in the non-romantic relationship forum.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:54 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,609,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
The Self Sufficency/Preparedness forum is kind of a strange choice for asking how to meet people as most of the folks on here aren't really gregarious.
It's a very wise choice. I suspect that the OP doesn't like all that he's seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
But, when I want to meet people, I look at the folks that are doing the things I like to do. So that means going to gun shows or Rendevous, county fairs, steam engine expositions, I go to horse shows, team pulling, logging festivals, heritage day events, Veterans programs, etc.
Along those lines, Illinois has a number of railroad museums including the largest one in the country. The Chicago History Museum and the Art Institute are excellent. Polish and Czech restaurants brighten an otherwise unremarkable city for dining.

Railroad Museums: ILLINOIS

Chicago History Museum |

The Art Institute of Chicago

Old 02-27-2015, 12:57 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,586,145 times
I have some friends in Richland county IL. and hunted there a couple times. Always driven around Chicago, but those restaraunts might be worth stopping off for.

The railroad museums would be pretty cool to tour as well.

Thanks for the tip

Old 02-27-2015, 02:26 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Thank you for the tips so far. I'm far enough from the city and on the north side that crime isn't really an issue here, so I don't think I'll be moving for that, and I'm from the midwest originally, so completely used to the winters, and the summers here are mild in my opinion.

On the topic of forum I didn't really know where else to post this. Hadn't noticed the Non-Romantic Relationship thread, but I guess the Chicago area thread might be a good start too, though I think the methods people use for exploring new areas and meeting new people are pretty much the same no matter where you live. But thank you for the replies so far.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:44 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Recently moved to the Chicagoland area, have only been here a few months. My job is great, all except for the fact that I have all of 4 coworkers, and all of them are old enough to be my father, and I never work with more than 1 at a time. So I'm definitely not going to make friends there.

I've been content the last few months with getting things situated in my new life here, taking care of the bills, changing my address, adapting to the new lifestyle, buying new furniture for the place, and settling into a new groove.

My main missing ingredient is knowing people. Throughout much of my life religion has played a small and mostly insignificant role, but if it helps me branch out and meet people in the area I'm willing to consider it. I'm looking to make new friends and branch out in the community and meet people, I'm a little rusty on this since all of my previous jobs either had so many coworkers that we were all friends or I knew people in my local area from high school and college and such, this new area has absolutely no one I know. Have any of you been in this situation before? What did you do to meet and make new friends?
I'm interested in board games and video games, so I've signed up for such events on Meetup.com. Also kept my ear out for word on any of these events NOT posted on Meetup, but may also be on facebook, or otherwise just happening without being made known on some public or social site. I've also used MU for general social events like movies, museums, trivia, and general eating out.

Since you're religious in some way, also check out churches

Otherwise, just try striking up a conversation with folks that you wander into. If at all possible, "seal the deal" (get their contact info) if you have common interests.

... it may be snowing non-stop there, but I do miss it Good luck! Not a bad place at all to try to meet people.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:04 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,788,793 times
Meetup is a good start, or find whatever interests you, and frequent places that cater to those who also enjoy those interests. I would wager that, sooner or later, you'll see the same faces. Use that interest to break the ice with them.

For my wife and I, our main interest is live music. We moved from New England to Las Vegas knowing 2 people, a little over a year and a half ago. Our friends now number over 100, and we go out with various people at least 4 times a week, whether it's to dinner, game night at someone's house, movies, bowling, whatever. We grew our group of friends by being somewhat outgoing, and never turning down an invitation to do something with our new friends. Well, normally it's a small group, so there will be people going who we don't know, and we get a chance to expand our circle that way.

Hope you end up liking it there in Chicago. I was stationed there many years ago, and went back to my "old stomping grounds" for the first last Fall. Great city! Spent most of my time down on Clark St.. love the vibe down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness