Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 10:36 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times

Advertisements

I was born in 1947, and received a full set of 'baby shots' (at that time, there was no MMR, so I never got that). Had the measles at 3, chicken pox at 6, and nothing else. Survived 'em just fine. Got smallpox shot at 5, to enter school, and a few polio shots as a kid. Got an anti-tetanus once as a kid.

From my teens on, I have had NO vaccines of any kind, and I'm 68 now. No flu shots, no shingles shots, no any shots. I have also enjoyed excellent health. I take NO meds (nothing to take them for...), and have not had as much as a cold in over a decade.

Both my grandparents and my mother passed on during my adulthood. My dad died at 32, of unusual causes. But I noted that my family members passed away shortly after being put on new meds; there had been nothing really wrong with them, but poof! within a week or so, they were just gone. I became concerned that drugs, esp of the type that they prescribe for the elderly, might not be the best thing in the world. My doctor will have some 'splainin' to do, before I take any drugs!

Whille I understand that many people really need some drugs, I wonder how many realize that they may be experimented on? I see the elderly blindly lining up at the drugstores to get their annual flu shots; I then see at least half of them suffer from flu-like symptoms. I have had people tell me that they'd be first in line to get an ebola shot, or swine flu/bird flu shot, and scratch my head.

I truly believe that the anti-vaxxers have a good point: why do we need the gov't meddling in our health matters? That is not freedom; that is not good medicine. I will never get a flu shot or a shingles shot, or an ebola shot. I will never be put on any drug 'for life'. I equate submitting "for the greater good", to redistributionist economics...and we all know what that is, don't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 10:41 AM

563 posts, read 524,502 times
Default Cry babies all

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
of vaccinations. In spite of the much-ballyhooed 'risks", you're safer with vaccinations. If shtf, polio, tuberculosis, diptheria, whooping-cough typhus, typhoid, hepatitis,tetanus, plague, cholera, malaria, syphilis, gonnarhea yellow-fever, genital warts, HIP, HIV, clamydia, are gonna come ROARING back. A few hundred $ spent today on such protection could easily mean everything to you. So might a few preventative masks.

It used to be we all got our shots very young. The world did not end. We all stayed healthy. We did cry, pretty much everyone did. Nowadays, the mere act of getting a shot would be too traumatic for all of those little darlings. Stop crying! Sometimes I think the US could be taken over by two old ladies and one has a bad cold. Grow a pair! You and your kid are just not that special. Sorry. Now you know.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 AM

67 posts, read 59,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood55 View Post
It used to be we all got our shots very young. The world did not end. We all stayed healthy. We did cry, pretty much everyone did. Nowadays, the mere act of getting a shot would be too traumatic for all of those little darlings. Stop crying! Sometimes I think the US could be taken over by two old ladies and one has a bad cold. Grow a pair! You and your kid are just not that special. Sorry. Now you know.

Wow, typical liberal "tolerance" there

I have my blood drawn twice a year and have multiple tattoo so "growing a pair" really doesn't apply.

My middle daughter has a very very rare genetic syndrome (Pitt-Hopkins Syndrome) and has be poked, prodded, and shot up more times than you can ever possibly imagine, so before you start slandering those who don't want to vaccinate, maybe you should understand that it isn't about he pain of the shots, but rather whats in the shots that we care about.

We are informed and the decisions we make rather than blindly accepting what the media is feeding into our brains. The information and studies are right there in front of you, but that means you have to get off Twitter for a few minutes and research, so why don't you go back to getting your info from The Daily Show.

I could care less what you believe and if you and your kin want to be vaccinated, I FULLY SUPPORT YOU, in fact I think you are great if you believe its the best thing for you and your family, I just ask the same respect towards ours and the countless other out there that dare to ask questions and do our own research.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:12 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,322,222 times
I have been vaccinated for everything and have been my entire life. I made this decision, no one else did.

If someone does not want to get vaccinated that is their right, all the power to them. But, do it with your eyes open and your brain engaged. Just because you have never been sick doesn't mean that you are not at risk. There have been more then enough medical studies that confirm that an unvaccinated person that is around other people that have at least 70% vaccinated have a good chance of never getting the disease. But, if the same person spends time with unvaccinated people the chances increase dramatically.

To put this a different way, the unvaccinated get protection from the vaccinated.

Another issue that never seems to be discussed is multiple disease infections. Have you ever wondered why someone would get sick and then suddenly die. As people get older or have a known or unknown existing illness, this becomes more common. When the immune system is compromised by a fight with one disease and then they get infected with another (which is easy to do when you are already sick) and then the 2 diseases gang-up and over load the immune system and very quickly kills the host. By getting vaccinated for the more common diseases and then being infected by the vaccinated disease and then another infection occurs the patient survives with few problems.

Last edited by Garthur; 08-04-2015 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-04-2015, 12:19 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandefjord View Post
Is this a legitimate question, or are you trying to patronize those who aren't vaccinated? I don't think any non-vaccers are going to argue that vaccines haven't saved lives, but rather you should have the choice whether or not to vaccinate you and your child, not have the government make the choice for you. You may be posting this on the wrong page, because most of the posters here don't like big government getting involved in their lives and telling them what to do. Even tho it is a popular topic right now, the overwhelming majority of folks are still getting vaccinated and so are their children. For those of us who chose not to, it is probably for a very good reason and we are tired of explaining it to everyone. The sad fact is that more non-vaccers are more educated on vaccines than those who blindly get them. I AM NOT SAYING that everyone who vaccinates does not know, in fact some are very educated and smart on that topic, but if you have chose not to, that means you have done a lot of research into it.
I think the premise is reasonable for prepping since you'll have more disease outbreaks as a result of the SHTF moment.

I would agree that the anti-vax crowd has done a lot more research. On the downside, they tend to be less discerning as to whom to trust and often present bad info they read from some quackpot site like natural news and wave off the uncovering of the Wakefield fraud as some sort of government conspiracy.

That being said, I support a persons right not to vaccinate.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:24 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,132,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I was born in 1947, and received a full set of 'baby shots' (at that time, there was no MMR, so I never got that). Had the measles at 3, chicken pox at 6, and nothing else. Survived 'em just fine. Got smallpox shot at 5, to enter school, and a few polio shots as a kid. Got an anti-tetanus once as a kid.

From my teens on, I have had NO vaccines of any kind, and I'm 68 now. No flu shots, no shingles shots, no any shots. I have also enjoyed excellent health. I take NO meds (nothing to take them for...), and have not had as much as a cold in over a decade.

Both my grandparents and my mother passed on during my adulthood. My dad died at 32, of unusual causes. But I noted that my family members passed away shortly after being put on new meds; there had been nothing really wrong with them, but poof! within a week or so, they were just gone. I became concerned that drugs, esp of the type that they prescribe for the elderly, might not be the best thing in the world. My doctor will have some 'splainin' to do, before I take any drugs!

Whille I understand that many people really need some drugs, I wonder how many realize that they may be experimented on? I see the elderly blindly lining up at the drugstores to get their annual flu shots; I then see at least half of them suffer from flu-like symptoms. I have had people tell me that they'd be first in line to get an ebola shot, or swine flu/bird flu shot, and scratch my head.

I truly believe that the anti-vaxxers have a good point: why do we need the gov't meddling in our health matters? That is not freedom; that is not good medicine. I will never get a flu shot or a shingles shot, or an ebola shot. I will never be put on any drug 'for life'. I equate submitting "for the greater good", to redistributionist economics...and we all know what that is, don't we?
My husband and I, both 60 years old, and our adult son with Down syndrome are right there with you. We had an annual review of services and the 3 of them were blown away that my son was not on any medications. And, the shingles shot, had a friend get that and shingles so beware that it is not 100% and they say it is milder case but he nearly died and was only 70.

No flu shots, EVER and never will be. For those that want to get them, go for it. Choice is good.

To us, preventive medicine is about diet and exercise and doesn't come in an injection or bottle from the pharmacy.

Everyone really needs to learn how to build their immune systems because that is why we are seeing such serious cases of everything now.

Of course, the exception are life maintaining drugs that some require.

As far as STDs, we kind of all know how to avoid those.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think the premise is reasonable for prepping since you'll have more disease outbreaks as a result of the SHTF moment.

I would agree that the anti-vax crowd has done a lot more research. On the downside, they tend to be less discerning as to whom to trust and often present bad info they read from some quackpot site like natural news and wave off the uncovering of the Wakefield fraud as some sort of government conspiracy.

That being said, I support a persons right not to vaccinate.
There are absolutely some who do get their info from little cute pictures posted on Facebook, but my family and I have got everything we needed straight from the CDC, FDA websites and Dr. Sears.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:50 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unethi..._United_States

Old 08-04-2015, 03:56 PM

258 posts, read 347,816 times
A couple of things I have always wondered about:

1. The right to choose - it is of course enshrined in the American DNA. But when does one lose it? I find that line fairly arbitrarily set - and based on people's preferences rather than real logic and common sense. For example, what about driving without seat-belts? What about driving with your infant in a lap and not a car seat? How about carrying weapons around? Gun? Automatics? What about grenades? What about concealed carry inside a school? Maybe a teacher? Or how about drunk driving?

How about someone who has smallpox or TB or Ebola. Should they be allowed to wander around town or in a crowded mall? Should they be allowed to enter schools? Isn't it their American right to do so? What if a teacher has Ebola (or recently came back from an African country where Ebola is widespread)? Would you send your kids to school if you knew it?

Now replace the teacher with a kid who is not vaccinated. Now this kid is higher risk of getting whooping cough or some other disease that spreads easily. Or how about a disease that has been eradicated so everyone has basically lost their immunity. So are the parents of that kid being irresponsible? Should the kid be banned from school?

2. When does a parent's liberty to raise their child end, and when does the govt (child services) intervene? Some or many would say when the parent is causing clear harm to his/her child. Like beating them. Or putting the child in danger.

So are you putting your child in danger by not vaccinating them properly? Are you being negligent? Let's say that is debatable. What if you refuse to take your child to a doctor and give the child medicine when the child is clearly sick and extremely sick. Maybe you have a valid reason - even a religious reason that forbids modern medicine and doctors. Or instead, you don't do it because you have trained your child to give superior immunity.

To be honest, I don't know the answers. I deeply value personal liberty. But most of us also have to live in society, raise children who we are responsible for. So along with personal liberty, comes family responsibility and society responsibility. So how much liberty should one sacrifice? What i find objectionable is not that the answer is not clear. Instead, that the line is drawn on arbitrary lines and with lots of double standards and completely sketchy arguments.

For what it is worth, this is a complete non-issue in the rest of the developed world. Western Europe for example - no questions asked. Vaccination is mandatory. And gun control is usually a lot stricter. Or so I believe - from what little I have read. And they value and guard personal liberty and liberty to raise one's children the way one chooses - equally. Heck, most of America is from Western Europe. And heck, they don't even have any controversy about abortion. It is legal and common. And incidentally a topic where liberty suddenly becomes about lack of liberty - conveniently for the woman.

Yeah, I have spoken about everything I guess.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post

For what it is worth, this is a complete non-issue in the rest of the developed world. Western Europe for example - no questions asked. Vaccination is mandatory. And gun control is usually a lot stricter. Or so I believe - from what little I have read. And they value and guard personal liberty and liberty to raise one's children the way one chooses - equally. Heck, most of America is from Western Europe. And heck, they don't even have any controversy about abortion. It is legal and common. And incidentally a topic where liberty suddenly becomes about lack of liberty - conveniently for the woman.

Yeah, I have spoken about everything I guess.
Ok, first off lets take a peak at Canada vs. Chicago on gun laws

Chicago has the toughest gun laws in America and also has the highest gun crime rate...hmm

Canada has a very lax gun law and is one of the safest countries on earth

Most European countries DO NOT have mandatory vaccination schedules, in fact most of them don't even need reasons to opt out. They do how ever give monetary incentives to get them or tax breaks for families who get them.

The fact of the matter is, we are no longer trying to eliminate these diseases, just prevent them and I am all the rights of all Americans to do so, BUT if I believe the mercury, formaldehyde, organic compounds, and yes cells from fetal tissue are not safe to put in my child's body, than I should have the right to excuse them from vaccinations. Once again, this is not tin hat conspiracies, this is straight from the CDC and FDA websites. Doctors don't like you asking questions because of their God complex and while I will be the first to admit that they are smarter than me, don't think for a second I also don't believe that they are more concerned with their pockets than my health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness