Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:14 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times

Advertisements

I've been reading about this for some time. It seems that most people buy fish antibiotics from WalMart, a pet store or the internet.

Do you have a supply of antibiotics? Which ones did you buy, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 03:51 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
I have fish antibiotics in storage, and also several natural antibiotics like garlic, Echinacea, colloidal silver, goldenseal, sage.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:45 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
No, if TSHTF I'll hit the pharmacies. I'm putting my money into a truck mounted .50 cal. He who has the guns, can get the drugs. Maybe a doctor to go along with them!

Old 09-29-2015, 08:23 PM

146 posts, read 134,632 times
I'm in the health field and TOTALLY have a slew of antibiotics, like amoxicillan, cipro, zithromax, tetracycline etc. Also, have quite a few Doctor friends that gave merx's for steroids (people always forget to stock steroids). They happen to think there could be a shortage in the country coming and have their stocks up as well.

I also have a chemistry (very nice one) and have made my own penicillin. But...I'm weird.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
If TSHTF I'm going to do like on Z Nation and hit the Oxy factory. Forget antibiotics. That stuff will be worth more than gold!

Old 10-01-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
No, if TSHTF I'll hit the pharmacies. I'm putting my money into a truck mounted .50 cal. He who has the guns, can get the drugs. Maybe a doctor to go along with them!
Well, there's always that. Don't forget to stop at the liquor store on the way home.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK314 View Post
I'm in the health field and TOTALLY have a slew of antibiotics, like amoxicillan, cipro, zithromax, tetracycline etc. Also, have quite a few Doctor friends that gave merx's for steroids (people always forget to stock steroids). They happen to think there could be a shortage in the country coming and have their stocks up as well.

I also have a chemistry (very nice one) and have made my own penicillin. But...I'm weird.
My mother worked for doctors for years and we always had antibiotics in the house. Back then, pharmacies weren't open evenings, holidays or even on Sunday. It saved everyone time and money to keep a supply in the house. Why drag a kid to the ER when you can call the doctor and ask him what he'd prescribe. She knew what he was going to say, but always called as a courtesy.

Which are the best ones to stock? I'll guess and say amoxicillin, azithromycin, doxycycline and ciprofloxacin.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:28 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,161 times
It might be prudent to do some research on Cipro/Levequin and check out their side effects. Cipro has an FDA blackbox warning pertaining to Achilles tendon rupture and Neuropathy peripheral. This drug should be used only as a last resort.

Google Cipro and tendon damage. Check it out yourself. It is an eye opener.

I was just reading the comments in this section out of interest and felt lead to at least mention this when I saw the drug mentioned.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:39 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,685,432 times
Just out of curiosity, don't most of these medications expire after a while? Can you freeze them? And finally, don't you need a prescription? I know there are places in the world where you can just walk into a pharmacy and buy what you want, but that's not the case in the USA, where the doctors have a monopoly on writing prescriptions.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,266,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK314 View Post

I'm sure this was all done legally right? un huh.......

Hope your Dr friends don't get caught
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness