Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 06:32 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,963,535 times

Advertisements

Alright....almost everybody here is concerned about some type of collapse. I am able to spend a couple hours/week thinking about it.

We all know that greens are needed for a healthy diet. So I am trying to figure out the most cost effective way to sequester some long term storage greens.

We have literally thousands of options right now. That many people are buying supplements to help get more greens in their diet.

So far I have canned beans and a lot of freeze dried parsley flakes. I like the parsley flakes on eggs and on meat anyway.

Suggestions for cost effective long term storage greens? Has anybody else climbed this hill?.

By long term...I mean more than a couple years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 06:48 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,484,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
We all know that greens are needed for a healthy diet.
You and I tend to agree on many points. Here, we seem to part ways. In a desperate situation, you eat as well as you can, but even in good times I don't bother much with green stuff. How'd I ever make it to age 68 in good health, taking no meds and having no 'conditions'? Ahhh, I'm a meat eater! I eat the meat of grazing animals (cattle, hogs, poultry, even fish who eat algae). That's how I "store greens"!!

Quote:
Suggestions for cost effective long term storage greens? Has anybody else climbed this hill?.

By long term...I mean more than a couple years
Well, you can freeze the stuff if you cook it first, assuming you'll have power to run the freezer.

You can also can it, in much the way we can spinach and chard. Our home-canned veggies last up to 5 years.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:01 AM

My father was diagnosed with early stages of colon cancer prior to surgery. I do what I can to combat the threat of cancer. Some people are more genetically blessed. Like you and my mother. No supplements needed. Greens aren't really a supplement of course...I think all nutritionists consider them a dietary necessity.

I suspect that Happy in Wyoming is busy with his clams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
You and I tend to agree on many points. Here, we seem to part ways. In a desperate situation, you eat as well as you can, but even in good times I don't bother much with green stuff. How'd I ever make it to age 68 in good health, taking no meds and having no 'conditions'? Ahhh, I'm a meat eater! I eat the meat of grazing animals (cattle, hogs, poultry, even fish who eat algae). That's how I "store greens"!!

Well, you can freeze the stuff if you cook it first, assuming you'll have power to run the freezer.

You can also can it, in much the way we can spinach and chard. Our home-canned veggies last up to 5 years.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
My father was diagnosed with early stages of colon cancer prior to surgery. I do what I can to combat the threat of cancer.
I always thought that fiber was helpful to colon issues(?). Maybe greens have fiber? I dunno. As a kid, you couldn't get me to eat smelly greens! And I sorta grew up to be the same way. I do enjoy spinach, esp with pasta dishes...so I guess that's something. We cook it and then can it. Just not a big salad eater; never was. The wimmin love that 'rabbit food'. I raise my own meat now, and avoid most carbs. Carbs are what make you fat, gassy, pale, and lead to diabetes. I avoid as much as possible!

Old 03-20-2016, 08:28 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
Amen! I'm like you. I'm 66 and don't look a day over 64. My diet has always consisted mostly of beef and Jack Daniels.

The Goode-Two-Shoes are always advertising how great veggies are. They are not. If one bothers to check out nutritional data, one would confirm that plant matter is not very nutrient dense, ie- you need a lot of servings to supply meaningful levels of most vitamins or minerals and can't get enough protein without also getting an unhealthy portion of carbs.

I recently did an analysis that shows a daily intake of one potato, 3/4 lb beef, two slices of Italian bread, 1/2 cup peas, one tomato and four glasses of milk would supply you with all recommended daily allowances of essential nutrients, including about 2200 cal.

Leafy veggies like lettuce or spinach are useless as sources of nutrients (<10% MDR of most).

In regards nutrition & GI cancer: it's all genetics and chance. Eg: gastric cancer rates very hi in Iceland, usually attributable to their diet rich in smoked fish. But then, what about the low rate in Swedes & Norwegians, who also like smoked fish?

Old 03-20-2016, 08:40 AM

7,247 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
I always thought that fiber was helpful to colon issues(?). Maybe greens have fiber? I dunno. As a kid, you couldn't get me to eat smelly greens! And I sorta grew up to be the
Right again. Kids have good natural instincts. Our sense of taste tells us to avoid bitter and acid tastes-- they usually mean poison. Kids pay attention to that because they haven't been taught yet to ignore it.

Interesting history to the theory that "fiber prevents colon cancer." It seems those 19th century British missionary docs in Africa were impressed by how bulky the natives' (who ate mostly root crops and very little meat) BMs were compared to those of the Brits, who ate more meat. They also took note of the fact that colon cancer was rare among the natives compared to Brits. Viola! It must be the fiber!!-- completely ignoring the point that native Africans usually died of trauma or infection at early ages, rarely reaching our late, middle age when colon ca starts to show up.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:52 AM

If you still think that greens are the sine qua non of "healthful" eating, rest assured...dandelions grow wild in most parts of the country, are green, and there is probably a never-ending supply!

(If you doubt this, come over and look at our lawn. All you can eat!).

Old 03-20-2016, 11:05 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Vitamin C is nice as few wish to experience scurvy. The only meat that can provide this is raw meat from some species as Vitamin C is destroyed by heat. Many species of animals produce Vitamin C, but Homo sapiens is not one of them. People who have stored grains and legumes will be fine since their sprouts contain Vitamin C.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:24 AM

Once starving in the Canadian wilderness, I made some dandelion tea. The survival manuals told me that this works.

It tasted like poison and no amount of sugar made it palatable. So I went back to chewing on wood. That never breaks down. So I went hungry.

Quote:
If you still think that greens are the sine qua non of "healthful" eating, rest assured...dandelions grow wild in most parts of the country, are green, and there is probably a never-ending supply!

(If you doubt this, come over and look at our lawn. All you can eat!).

Old 03-20-2016, 01:10 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Amen! I'm like you. I'm 66 and don't look a day over 64. My diet has always consisted mostly of beef and Jack Daniels.

The Goode-Two-Shoes are always advertising how great veggies are. They are not. If one bothers to check out nutritional data, one would confirm that plant matter is not very nutrient dense, ie- you need a lot of servings to supply meaningful levels of most vitamins or minerals and can't get enough protein without also getting an unhealthy portion of carbs.

I recently did an analysis that shows a daily intake of one potato, 3/4 lb beef, two slices of Italian bread, 1/2 cup peas, one tomato and four glasses of milk would supply you with all recommended daily allowances of essential nutrients, including about 2200 cal.

Leafy veggies like lettuce or spinach are useless as sources of nutrients (<10% MDR of most).

In regards nutrition & GI cancer: it's all genetics and chance. Eg: gastric cancer rates very hi in Iceland, usually attributable to their diet rich in smoked fish. But then, what about the low rate in Swedes & Norwegians, who also like smoked fish?
Nonsense. What are you saying? Vitamin nutrients are hog wash? Why are you talking about protein when criticizing vegetables/greens?

Lots of hyperbole and generalizing here. Like "veggies are not great".

Really?

People on blood thinner meds CANNOT have alot of greens. The vitamin K - clotting factor.

Therefore, they DO have certain qualities and are not just empty calories.

ICEBERG "lettuce" is not considered a green. It's empty calories.

Vitamin A & C aren't in meat. (not including fish). Except in chicken liver. What about calcium? Found in dark leafy greens.

Just like Vitamin B12 is not in non animal products.

Speaking as a former macrobiotic vegan, you CAN get a B12 deficiency because it happened to ME.

Birth defects can be a result of folic acid deficiencies. Alcoholics and people with other mental health problems experience problems from it, too. Consuming a high level of folate and taking folic acid supplements is ALWAYS prescribed during pregnancy

These generalizations are dangerous but luckily I guess nobody really believes it on a message board.

Four glasses of milk?

HOW is it normal to hypothesize that a human person decided to wean their breastfeeding baby onto a COW or GOAT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness