Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 11:43 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You must not know the bunker bums I know, with over $20,000 worth of guns and ammo, but no gravity feed water system or solar hot water. Their idea of prepping is cases of MREs and a bunch of ammo. Morons.
They aren't actual preppers. They are gun fetishists, with a pathological fixation on end-of-the-world fantasies (actually really their own end & demise, but I digress...), with no rational sense of context and proportion. They are best avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 12:19 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,581,124 times
Quote:
Ah. You buy them to get rid of them. Check. I still think you would do better to spend the money on tools. Do you own a forge? Do you even know what a parting hammer is? Take away your high tech toys and you are helpless.
I have 2 forges, and 3 anvils. I do have a parting hammer, (if you're talking about a claw hammer anyway), as well as ball peen, v-peen, rounding hammers, cold chisels, hot chisels, files, cross peens, and a lot of other tools I use and make daily. What's your point?
If someone wants to invest in gold or silver or diamonds, maybe land or even guns, so what? It's their money they can do whatever they want with it.

Not sure why someone buying something they want with money they earn has any impact on you at all, so why is any of your business what they do with it?

Old 08-18-2016, 01:33 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,321,061 times
A real prepper has tools, skills, PM's and food, several sources of water, a garden, and much more. Some one that just has guns and ammo are gun nuts and are not to be confused with preppers.

BTW to a preppers guns fit into the tools category and are not any more important then hand tools, or gardening skills.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:52 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I have 2 forges, and 3 anvils. I do have a parting hammer, (if you're talking about a claw hammer anyway), as well as ball peen, v-peen, rounding hammers, cold chisels, hot chisels, files, cross peens, and a lot of other tools I use and make daily. What's your point?
If someone wants to invest in gold or silver or diamonds, maybe land or even guns, so what? It's their money they can do whatever they want with it.

Not sure why someone buying something they want with money they earn has any impact on you at all, so why is any of your business what they do with it?
It makes them jealous. They can't bear to see or hear of people who have what they can't.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
A real prepper has tools, skills, PM's and food, several sources of water, a garden, and much more. Some one that just has guns and ammo are gun nuts and are not to be confused with preppers.

BTW to a preppers guns fit into the tools category and are not any more important then hand tools, or gardening skills.
True, but I know guys that collect vintage antique tools that are far too frail and worn to ever use. A car is a useful tool as well, but the guys that restore vintage cars or spend hundreds of thousands on muscle cars or sports cars or luxury cars or even monster trucks, what difference does it make?
If they can afford it and it brings them pleasure, how is it hurting anybody else?

It's a sad commentary on our times that the people that demand "diversity" are the ones most likely to attack anyone that doesn't share the exact same views they do.
If someone wants to only have 3 days of food and water for a weather event and depend on the government to take care of everything else, fine. They're the ones that will suffer for it if something outside of their tightly defined set of "disasters" happen.

I don't care if they're that short sighted and close minded. It's their problem. But when the demand that I take care of them because the power is out for longer than the 3 days they planned for, or the flood waters are still rising after their 3 days of supplies are exhausted, or they want to borrow money because their credit cards aren't working and the ATM is down, then it impacts me and mine and they can go pound sand.

I take care of my family so that no matter what happens, weather, job loss, fire, flood, economic meltdown, (I lived in the 70's under Carter's mismanagement and remember the double digit inflation, the double digit interest rates, the double digit unemployment), I can still provide for them.

I'm not a prepper in the hyperbolic sense of the word, no MRE's, no bunker, but I do have a garden, I do raise livestock, I do hunt and fish and gather wild edibles. I do know about medicinal plants and first aid, I can and have built houses, logged, done stone masonry, wired homes, plumbed homes, made my own fuel and power. I have some precious metals and cash stored away from the banks, and investments that provide income on a regular basis when things are working. I don't need a lot from the manufactured world.

I don't consider myself a prepper, but I am prepared for whatever life throws at me.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:17 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Quote:
I'm not a prepper in the hyperbolic sense of the word, no MRE's, no bunker, but I do have a garden, I do raise livestock, I do hunt and fish and gather wild edibles. I do know about medicinal plants and first aid, I can and have built houses, logged, done stone masonry, wired homes, plumbed homes, made my own fuel and power. I have some precious metals and cash stored away from the banks, and investments that provide income on a regular basis when things are working. I don't need a lot from the manufactured world.
That one bolded phrase means you are a gun owner and you are reduced to that alone; all the rest that you do and all that your life represents, is ignored and distilled into one factoid: Gun Owner.

That's all they need to know about you. It doesn't matter what else you do, or even IF you do anything else. You are forever a gun nut with a bunker full of guns and ammo, and have wet dreams of SHTF so that you can drag the guns out, suit up in camo like a mall ninja, and take to the woods like Rambo.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:31 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:

This forum is for self-sufficiency and preparedness, not for investment tips. Maybe you would be happier in an economics forum. Really, if you have your FFL and buy and sell guns, I have no problem with that, but in an emergency a bunch of iron is just heavy crap you have to lug around. By the time the flood waters recede in Louisiana, a lot of arsenals will be rusted lumps and a lot of ammo will be expensive fishing sinkers.

A parting hammer is also known as a cross pein (note the spelling). The fact that you didn't recognize the term tells me you have never studied with a smith who could teach you the trade. I have a bunch of body and fender tools that I picked up at an auction, but I don't pretend I know how to do body work. The only tool I have ever found use for was the shrinking hammer.

Old 08-18-2016, 02:33 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It makes them jealous. They can't bear to see or hear of people who have what they can't.
What do you have that nobody else can have? Other people have knowledge that you don't. Does that make you jealous?

Old 08-18-2016, 03:20 PM

Quote:
This forum is for self-sufficiency and preparedness, not for investment tips. Maybe you would be happier in an economics forum. Really, if you have your FFL and buy and sell guns, I have no problem with that, but in an emergency a bunch of iron is just heavy crap you have to lug around. By the time the flood waters recede in Louisiana, a lot of arsenals will be rusted lumps and a lot of ammo will be expensive fishing sinkers.

A parting hammer is also known as a cross pein (note the spelling). The fact that you didn't recognize the term tells me you have never studied with a smith who could teach you the trade. I have a bunch of body and fender tools that I picked up at an auction, but I don't pretend I know how to do body work. The only tool I have ever found use for was the shrinking hammer.
For one thing, having economic resources, "saving for a rainy day" is prepping and self sufficiency. If you aren't economically stable and able to pay for medical care or have resources if the banks aren't working due to a power outage or whatever, you're fooling yourself.

Don't need an FFL, I live in Montana. I can buy firearms if I want, and sell them too as long as I'm not doing it as a business, nobody cares and DC is a LOOOOONG way away.

Just as an FYI, and because it seems to be the only focus for you, I hunt with a recurve bow. For small game like Rabbits and birds, a sling is pretty effective and the ammo is just lying around on the ground. I'm also pretty good with various primitive traps. I can make weapons as I need, but if someone wants to have a firearm, I've got nothing against it.

All the books I've ever used refer to peen hammers as PEEN, never heard of a PEIN until you just put it up, and I've worked in welding, machining and blacksmithing for over 30 years, and when ordering tools, I've never seen PEIN as an option.
In my world of blacksmithing, a parting hammer is kind of a chisel with a handle that you use to cut hot steel.

A cross peen is a cross peen, and that's all it is. No nicknames, just what it is. There are a lot of different hammers out there, with local names. Delusions of intellect only make you appear arrogant and uninformed.

I use the tools I need to make other tools I need and do pretty well at it too. This isn't a spelling class, I doubt that anyone that needed a tool for real work would worry about the E/I conundrum you seem to find so fascinating.
Get the chip off of your shoulder and read the posts here. You could learn a lot.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 08-18-2016 at 03:34 PM..

Old 08-18-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
That one bolded phrase means you are a gun owner and you are reduced to that alone; all the rest that you do and all that your life represents, is ignored and distilled into one factoid: Gun Owner.

That's all they need to know about you. It doesn't matter what else you do, or even IF you do anything else. You are forever a gun nut with a bunker full of guns and ammo, and have wet dreams of SHTF so that you can drag the guns out, suit up in camo like a mall ninja, and take to the woods like Rambo.

Actually, I hunt with a bow and arrow. Recurve to be exact, 55 lb. draw at 31 inches. Made by a friend of mine. I could make my own, but I like this one and it's got good balance and is a very quick action. Works well on Elk and Deer, and antelope too when I can get close enough to them.

I'm afraid I don't own any guns anymore, sold and traded them a long time ago to people I can't remember their names, and all my records were destroyed in a flood that got all the papers in my shed.

So sad...

Now I need to go and oil my lawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness