Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 03:45 PM

60 posts, read 51,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You can't get a loan on something like that. It's like a used trailer...they don't appreciate. They quickly depreciate and are not made to last, like a house. Even if they were lucky enuf to get a loan, the lender would require excellent credit, a big down payment, and would charge a high interest rate. Because it doesn't want to get stuck having to repossess a trashed, old RV that's not worth the amount due on the loan.
So an RV loan is vastly different than an auto loan? That is one of the main questions I had.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
I second the one poster. It's me and my hubby in a 30 foot camper with a Great Dane and we get on each others nerves a bit from time to time. Thankfully when school is in session I just stay in town all day in order to save gas and catch any uncovered runs for the extras like pizza once a month.

This is our second camper. The first one was a 20 ft we paid too much for,.... it was the learning curve, bad shower, soft roof and plumbing issues. But boy did I Learn repairs on a camper FAST! We started looking for a larger camper within a year just for storage of food and clothes. That 20 ft had NO STORAGE ROOM.

We got lucky on this 30 ft for 2500 with closets all the way around. Sadly no slides so it still get claustrophobic on bad days. I've patched the roof in 2 places, opened the AC unit for cleaning and repair, electrical repairs and some plumbing. We did all the labor, just paid for parts. Are there a few hacks.... yup. But it's 3 years now in this one looking at another 5 years. Hopefully we will have a down payment for a house (I NEED A TUB) and pay off his medical bills.

We have other plans. And I would NOT recommend an RV for kids long term. I've seen it and it's VERY hard on the kids, they need their own space. And you will be fighting with hubby due to the stress.
Most people in the world live in 6'x6' huts with 15 kids. I think an RV is pretty luxurious, considering. Even in the States many people live with much larger families, in very small space. Even Europeans do not have a lot of space, despite being wealthy. The "own space" is just an Americanism.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueox View Post
Everyone

The OP is a troll.

She is not from America and is well known on another forum.

And no, this is not a personal attack, just a statement of fact.
It IS a personal attack. A violation of this site's ToS. And you have been reported.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Correct.

Here is "her" other famous thread, where they've figured out what "she" is:

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...ease-help.html

Care to elaborate?

Old 01-01-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Clearly needs to be posted again.
Why would violating the ToS of this site need to be done again? Explain.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
If OP is in earnest about the sewage in the basement and the lack of heat, she's at real risk of social services taking away her kids.

If she can't afford to repay a $300 debt, she can't afford carrying costs such as fueling, insuring, parking and repairing a large, gas-guzzling vehicle.

However, she and her husband can get jobs, repair their credit and quit living in squalor. I know her husband is disabled, but according to her, they're both able to move every months, live without heat, get in and out of an RV, and don't need frequent medical care (they couldn't keep appointments if they were traveling around the country). Unemployment in Fort Wayne was less than 5% as of last year.

A landlord running a respectable place will want to see a decent credit history and a level of income proportionate to rent. According to Zillow, there are lots of 2 bedroom apartments in Fort Wayne for only $500 a month.
2 bedrooms is too small. $500 is expensive. And we will not live in an apartment!

Old 01-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
(Aside from the fact that this whole thread is a scam, by some kid on school vacation....)

I just had to comment on the above. When I was a kid, we had no money. My dad died at age 32. My mom and my brother and I moved in with my grandparents, who owned a big house, but also had no money.

When my younger brother was about 6, he asked our mom if we were "poor". She replied, "No, we're middle-class. But we don't have any money". He asked what was the difference, and she said, "Poverty is a state of mind. It has nothing to do with how much money you have."
I don't know what your problem is, but please stop using personal attacks, they are a violation of this site's ToS and you will be reported each time. And it is just rude.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:22 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya1985 View Post
$300. That is it. I have read on a lot of sites it is better not to pay, as it will not change your score at all. I guess we have to file for bankruptcy?

No, I have not thought about Section 8, as it does not pay for an RV...
How old is the debt?

Old 01-01-2017, 04:24 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanya1985 View Post
So an RV loan is vastly different than an auto loan? That is one of the main questions I had.
Similar to a used car loan: higher down payment, good or excellent credit, higher interest rate, shorter term for the loan. That's because it's used, and people who take out those loans are more likely to default than for new cars.

Neither cars nor RVs nor trailers appreciate. They DEpreciate. Houses APpreciate. If yu buy a car and want to sell it 2 years from now, it's worth less. It depreciated. Same thing with trailers and RVs...maybe even more so. Trailers are notorious for falling apart in a short length of time. Don't know about RVs. I suspect it depends on whether it's a high-end RV or a low-end one. (There are no low-cost highly reliable RVs, like there are used Honda cars that are still pretty good years later.)

If you work, you can get Section 8 housing, although there's a long wait for that. They subsidize housing on a sliding scale, according to income. The people HAVE to be emplolyed.

My second choice would be cheap rent in the safest place I can find. There may be loud noise wherever you rent, so that's no reason to move. The people near you may move soon, or wherever you move, someone who plays loud music may move in next to you. You should turn your music on to a reasonable level to help with other noise, and learn to sleep with it on (or the tv), and get ear plugs or ear muffs for the kids. When there's a party, you and the kids may have to bunk down away from the windows just for that night.

It hurts your credit to move a lot. It looks unstable. People with bad credit typically move often, while people with excellent credit have a stable residence history.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Living in a mini-van and taking out student loans is going into debt to be homeless.
Working on student loans right now. They will help a lot. And there is no debt. They do not have to be paid back at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness