Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 08:29 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,302,380 times

Advertisements

RVs are more expensive then regular cars and some of them are more than a home. What you need is a trailer park. You can rent a mobile trailer home in the outskirts of the city. They are better than living in the hood and have pretty lenient terms but you have to be pay your rent on time.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:00 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
You both need to get jobs. I know lots of disabled people that work and a lot more that use the disability as an excuse. My wife and I both work. She works nights and I work days. We have never had to pay for child care. Now our kids are getting older with the youngest 10 now. With you two I would find more than one job, meaning working 6 or 7 days a week.

What you also need is a plan. You are at most 7 years away from perfect credit, 10 years if you file for bankruptcy. If you only have $300 in debt I would not file. Just pay it off.

Forget about living in an RV. It would be better to save and get into a nice apartment where someone else maintains it.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:10 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,606,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
There is no reason anyone has to buy a $60K^ RV. There are plenty that can be had in very decent shape for ~$10K and if you are handy with tools, less than that.
You can't get a loan on something like that. It's like a used trailer...they don't appreciate. They quickly depreciate and are not made to last, like a house. Even if they were lucky enuf to get a loan, the lender would require excellent credit, a big down payment, and would charge a high interest rate. Because it doesn't want to get stuck having to repossess a trashed, old RV that's not worth the amount due on the loan.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:14 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,378,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glegg View Post
forget RV's and forget apartments, too, unless you can find one for $250, like I live in. Get 1-2 old minivans, and maybe a storage rental. Nobody notices a van if you'll just move it half a mile or so, at 7 am and 10 pm. Why pay for RV parks? Join Planet Fitness, $35 a month and always have access to a gym, shower, restroom, wifi, electricity, AC and heat. RV parts and labor are ridiculously expensive. its hard to find a place to park one, you can't just park anywhere, as you can the mini-van. Leave one parked (mostly) and drive the other, alternate them. Storage rental places will let you park the van, for a fee. A $1000 per year jr college class will let you be parked like 100 hours per week in the college parking lot, and have access to the gym, library, etc. you can get a pell grant to cover your actual school expenses and 6k per semester loan for whatever you wish to spend it on.
If the two of them did not have kids that may be a solution. They do have kids though and I doubt that the Junior College Gym is going to be a place where the kids can clean up. A gym member ship would work but the kids would still be a problem.

A long time ago I knew a guy that lived at the beach and did this. When I say lived at the beach, he did not live in one of the beach houses. He slept on the beach and showered at the school. Did exactly what you are talking about. Went to school while he was doing that and worked after school.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:26 AM

324 posts, read 271,823 times
I second the one poster. It's me and my hubby in a 30 foot camper with a Great Dane and we get on each others nerves a bit from time to time. Thankfully when school is in session I just stay in town all day in order to save gas and catch any uncovered runs for the extras like pizza once a month.

This is our second camper. The first one was a 20 ft we paid too much for,.... it was the learning curve, bad shower, soft roof and plumbing issues. But boy did I Learn repairs on a camper FAST! We started looking for a larger camper within a year just for storage of food and clothes. That 20 ft had NO STORAGE ROOM.

We got lucky on this 30 ft for 2500 with closets all the way around. Sadly no slides so it still get claustrophobic on bad days. I've patched the roof in 2 places, opened the AC unit for cleaning and repair, electrical repairs and some plumbing. We did all the labor, just paid for parts. Are there a few hacks.... yup. But it's 3 years now in this one looking at another 5 years. Hopefully we will have a down payment for a house (I NEED A TUB) and pay off his medical bills.

We have other plans. And I would NOT recommend an RV for kids long term. I've seen it and it's VERY hard on the kids, they need their own space. And you will be fighting with hubby due to the stress.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:41 AM

43 posts, read 36,901 times
Everyone

The OP is a troll.

She is not from America and is well known on another forum.

And no, this is not a personal attack, just a statement of fact.

Old 12-28-2016, 10:47 AM

17 posts, read 24,518 times
Due to your situation, Tanya, it is up to you to pull your family through. If your husband is disabled, he can still get a job and a good one at that. I am an Army Vet. What was his MOS and how was he discharged? If he received an honorable discharge and he is disabled, he can apply just about anywhere. Tell him to go on USAjobs.gov to apply for a government job maybe something close to what he did in the military. You also need to look for something too. One more thing, is your husband using his GI Bill? If not, he needs to think about going back to school to learn something else.

Don't listen to these people on here. Most of them have never had hard times so it is not easy for them to relate to you or your situation. They will tell you everything is your fault. While sometimes this may be true, it is not the case every time. You may be in this situation due to your own choices and some things life just throws at us. In those cases do not ask why. Just roll with what you have been given and problem solve to the best of your ability to remove yourself from that bad environment. Adapt, overcome, and move on, and pray. That is all you can do.

Old 12-28-2016, 11:21 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,021,519 times
Someone here needs to think of these kids . RVing and moving 30 times is very hard on children . My inlaws live in Holland and during my husbands current lay off they too cannot understand why all the safety nets they have in Europe are not in place here - so they expect and get alot . My sister in law "doesn't feel well" and her 40 year old husband in excellent shape "retired" to take care of her . They got a nice house, food ,healthcare and a GOOD chunk of change each month and from pic on FB party alot - 3-4 days a week with a teen,, which is fine - their country their culture . Plus 30 day of PAID vacation each year . ( I'll probably never vacation again) So I can see why Tanya might be thinking like this - she is not used to this system. . This same brother and sister in law wanted to come here to live until we told them they would be forced to work if they did not want to live in the street or scary housing the likes of which they would be COMPLETELY unprepared for . Physically and emotionally. Plus they only speak dutch .

If she sees this , she needs to go to the nearest DHS office NOW to ask and find out what sort of help they qualify for. I believe her about the shelters , they usually split you up if you cannot find one of the few shelters that take families, full of of mentally ill and in my city has a 3 year wait . Let them know you need help BADLY and explain your situation and yes I have had to live in a place like you are describing in order to avoid the streets .. I got sick and my ex husband left me DURING the operation and I was desperate and had no family .

Old 12-28-2016, 11:51 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,502,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueox View Post
Everyone

The OP is a troll.

Correct.

Here is "her" other famous thread, where they've figured out what "she" is:

//www.city-data.com/forum/fort-...ease-help.html

Old 12-28-2016, 12:12 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,261,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblueox View Post
Everyone

The OP is a troll.

Clearly needs to be posted again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness