Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 08:54 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times

Advertisements

In the "Which two guns..." thread, I brought up the idea of having a flintlock weapon for when brass-cased, manufactured ammo is no longer available.

Which brings me to the question of how long do you think that supplies of manufactured ammo will last after it is no longer being made? Certainly, there will be those who stocked powder and primers for re-loading, but that will be used up eventually, along with percussion caps that could be used with whatever grade of black powder that could be made in those circumstances.

Also, while the manufactured ammo is still around, it will certainly be used as currency. Do you think that it would work something like this:

.22 long rifle is the unit

3X .22 LR = 1 .25 or .32

5X .22LR = 1 .38 Spl. or .380 or 9MM

7X .22LR = 1 .45 ACP or .45 Colt or .38 Super or .44 Spl

10X .22 LR = 1 .357 Mag or .44 Mag or .20-.25 cal rifle cartridge or 20 or 12 gauge shotgun shell

15X .22LR = .270 or .30-'06 or similar rifle cartridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 11:25 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Which brings me to the question of how long do you think that supplies of manufactured ammo will last after it is no longer being made?
It will always be made, after perhaps a short hiatus if things get bad enough to interrupt work for people. As long, that is, as it's legal to be sold for firearms that are still legal to own and use.

If they outlaw private firearms ownership, it won't be available for (legal) purchase. But it will still be manufactured for police and military, so you know that some will get out to the public.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
It will always be made...

I'm referring to the SHTF/"after the holocaust" situation when NOTHING is being manufactured anymore.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:05 AM

1,127 posts, read 1,274,419 times
Quote:
I'm referring to the SHTF/"after the holocaust" situation when NOTHING is being manufactured anymore.
That will never happen. Humans started making things as soon as they existed. No matter the percentage of die-off, some industrious and knowledgeable souls will survive, and the making will go on. Might take a while before metallic cartridge ammunition is mass produced, but, given its importance, I suspect it won't be the last thing to be re-acquired. We are more efficient at killing each other with it than without it, so it ranks pretty high on the list of necessities...

Old 05-13-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy73 View Post
That will never happen. Humans started making things as soon as they existed. No matter the percentage of die-off, some industrious and knowledgeable souls will survive, and the making will go on. Might take a while before metallic cartridge ammunition is mass produced, but, given its importance, I suspect it won't be the last thing to be re-acquired. We are more efficient at killing each other with it than without it, so it ranks pretty high on the list of necessities...

OK, but my question is stipulating that manufacture of cased ammo is not happening. Certainly, the technological situation in a SHTF/after the holocaust scenario is debatable, but given the situation of no production of cased ammo, I'd like to know how long readers think the supplies of existing ammo would last, and what sort of rates of exchange would apply to the use of ammunition as currency.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:45 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
OK, but my question is stipulating that manufacture of cased ammo is not happening. Certainly, the technological situation in a SHTF/after the holocaust scenario is debatable, but given the situation of no production of cased ammo, I'd like to know how long readers think the supplies of existing ammo would last, and what sort of rates of exchange would apply to the use of ammunition as currency.
To many variables IMOP ...What is the SHTF scenario? Plague with mass die off? EMP /total extended black out?
Global Thermonuclear War?Giant asteroid strike?

Old 05-13-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
To many variables IMOP ...What is the SHTF scenario? Plague with mass die off? EMP /total extended black out?
Global Thermonuclear War?Giant asteroid strike?

No need for such detail. Suffice to say that for whatever reason, cased ammunition is no longer being manufactured, with no indication that production will resume in the foreseeable future.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:35 PM

178 posts, read 173,632 times
It will be made. However if it wasent, then who would be dumb enough to sell what they had to someone who might just turn around and kill you with it..

Anyhow. People used to buy a die set and the cartridge brass and make their own ammo. My grandfather had a set for his rifle and 44. I still have them along with a die to make the bullet jackets, molds for pouring the lead and dies for making the primers. It isnt really much and most of the Items I have were made around 1850 when there wasent much in the way of accurate machine technology.

Last edited by Joewy; 05-13-2017 at 05:44 PM..

Old 05-13-2017, 07:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
No need for such detail. Suffice to say that for whatever reason, cased ammunition is no longer being manufactured, with no indication that production will resume in the foreseeable future.
The flints that you buy for your guns are imported from Great Britain. Where will you obtain flint in this country? Do you know how to flintknap?

Please be specific.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:04 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
ammo is one of the best things you can buy for barter IMHO. if nothing happens it will keep a long time and people always want it - should hold it's value. if we get a Democrat in office next election cycle it will fly off the shelves. i'd rather have it and not want it - then want it and not have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness