Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 08:54 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,213,236 times

Advertisements

IMHO, economic dislocation is in progress. I am keeping a close eye on real estate in select areas of the northeast, and I have noticed lately that more and more long-held, desirable and valuable properties are hitting the market. The types of properties that families and wealthy individuals own for generations and generations. Somethings going on and I'm not sure what.

When I was looking for property in NH back in the early 80's, I met a Realtor who had 3 very nice, well priced, large parcels of land for sale - each with their own large hill / mountain with incredible views. I looked at one of them but the access road to get where the views were was out of my budget. The Realtor told me that all 3 parcels were owned by a NYC financier who told him he wanted them sold and priced them to sell - the timing was right. He sold them near the top and the following year the real estate market collapsed in New England.

I get the eerie sense that this cycle might be coming again even though the market is currently fairly strong. Well connected people know things others don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 09:15 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm more optimistic than I've been anytime in the last fifty years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
.Yes, and I'm sure I know why - but don't become complacent because of it!
Don't worry. I still have my supply of toilet paper and my foraging supplies. We had three inches of snow yesterday, but I believe that I'll still get some great-tasting asparagus. It's not in a garden; I've simply thrown seeds into a riparian area for the last nine years. The rhubarb will come later.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:36 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
IMHO, economic dislocation is in progress. I am keeping a close eye on real estate in select areas of the northeast, and I have noticed lately that more and more long-held, desirable and valuable properties are hitting the market. The types of properties that families and wealthy individuals own for generations and generations. Somethings going on and I'm not sure what.
Agreed. The NH land you describe sounds a lot like the acreage we picked up a year or so ago, and has a great view into Quebec, which we only discovered with a drone (!). The access road is pretty bad, too, and we are working on it a bit at a time - no heavy equipment to pay for - but then, we don't live there, and don't need access immediately.

Some of this acreage is coming up for sale because even the wealthy may need to raise cash. Cash is King right now, and it's getting difficult to scare up.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:40 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Don't worry. I still have my supply of toilet paper and my foraging supplies. We had three inches of snow yesterday, but I believe that I'll still get some great-tasting asparagus. It's not in a garden; I've simply thrown seeds into a riparian area for the last nine years. The rhubarb will come later.
You're fortunate; we've had very hot temps here on the eastern seaboard lately. I spent yesterday inside, pretty much, with the AC on. In Maine, I wouldn't have that problem. No snow up there, though!

Old 05-21-2017, 01:54 PM

2,981 posts, read 2,933,611 times
- Don't forget the radiation slapping the west coast shores from Japan.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:27 PM

300 posts, read 329,505 times
OK, I'll play.

Most likely causes:

1.Fire. AKA your home burns down.

2.Fire. AKA you live in a forested or brushy area, and your house burns down.

3.Economic woes. You lose your job, or your industry disappears. To add to the entertainment, you live in a depressed area, own a place and property that are worth relatively nothing.

4.You're a stay at home spouse, and your spouse never makes it home one day. For whatever reason, but you're now going to have to be the breadwinner. Oh, and you have two small kids.

5.You're single, and have two Sicilian girlfriends that didn't know about each other....until now.

What'd I win?

Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
The most likely causes are:

1] EMP Event whether Solar or Nuclear; or
2] Other major destruction of US Electrical Grid; or
3] Nuclear Winter scenario whether by volcanic out-gassing, volcanic explosion or small meteor impact; or
4] Mini-Ice Age (the latter two scenarios involved government rationing food).

Old 05-22-2017, 06:58 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,850 times
I think the likely scenario is an influenza pandemic of a strain with very high morbidity and mortality rates that circles the globe more than once before it burns out. Transportation of basic goods is limited as people who work in those industries become ill and are too sick to go to work for a week or more, schools close and parents have to stay home to take care of little ones, even if they are not ill. Fuel production and delivery becomes spotty and food shortages begin to occur. Maintenance and repair of the electrical grid slows down and outages become common.

I can't begin to guess at what rate of mortality the overall infrastructure is seriously impacted. 20% of the worlds population, 30% or would it take more than that to disrupt major systems on a long term basis? Are their any studies or predictions regarding such a lose? Would first world countries be harder hit because they are more dependent on big infrastructure but have more health care resources as opposed to third world areas where much of the food production is very local, water is from a community well rather than a high tech operation, but there is little to no health care, etc.

We all know what an effort it took to contain the Ebola outbreak in west Africa and that the world was lucky it did not escape to any significant degree and result in high infection rates around the rest of the globe.

I'm curious to know what others think about this type of SHTF possibility.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I try to keep a weather eye out for developing events. Of course, I can't spend my life checking everything, and I'm not that big a worrier. Still, the wind seems to be blowing in these 3 directions:

1) Economic dislocation
2) Riots and civil disturbance
3) War or political crisis leading to war

Do you have any other ideas regarding the possibilities? How long do you envision it will take for some semblance of normalcy to return? My guess is, 3 to 6 months for the worst of it.
A lot depends on how things unfold. If actual war were to break out I believe we need to get used to the idea that it will hit within our borders this time. Not with paratroopers dropping in or LSTS on our beacbes, but with infiltrates that have been here getting ready for some time. Whether the enemy be NK or somewhere in the ME. I don't put it past Kim to have alliances built with ME terror groups and helping them build a 5th column here.

One that's big enough to start some serious damage rolling. And they would fight on behalf of NK should we get to blows . This wouldn't be single suicide bombers, I'm thinking they can and would put company size forces out. Armed heavily, with explosive experts , snipers, a d would carry out guerilla campaigns across the country. Hitting power plants, bridges, water treatment plants and other important, strategic targets.

It just makes sense and setting up such operations is totally doable. Our enemies have learned from history. They know that hitting us here at home needs to happen. Even smaller scale operations in the platoon/ccompany size range would seriously hamper us in any overseas war effort. It opens up a front we are not prepared to deal with. It would tie up military assets that would otherwise be deployed in whatever region the actual war is. If we are looking at full blown war we would need to be able to field far more assets than we are currently capable of.

Both overseas and right here at home. Truly, the second amendment would come into play. The militia would need to be activated and communities across the country would need to be ready. The major urban centers are screwed. They have disarmed people to the point that the militia organizing is not possible. They would be totally dependent on local, state and federal forces. We have had to use NG to bolster our overseas operations for a long time now, and they would probably not be available to defend in places like NYC and all across CA. Just those latter two are major problems. LE agencies would be helpless to act against such forces as I'm talking about. Without effective militia, it would be a cakewalk for forces such as I'm postulating. CA is completely screwed. They have neutered their militia across the entire state, not just their major metro areas.

The anti 2A crowd would be learning the hard way. Anyway, that's a brief assessment, but I'm short of time right now. Perhaps I an detail more later.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,869,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
A lot depends on how things unfold. If actual war were to break out I believe we need to get used to the idea that it will hit within our borders this time. Not with paratroopers dropping in or LSTS on our beacbes, but with infiltrates that have been here getting ready for some time. Whether the enemy be NK or somewhere in the ME. I don't put it past Kim to have alliances built with ME terror groups and helping them build a 5th column here.

One that's big enough to start some serious damage rolling. And they would fight on behalf of NK should we get to blows . This wouldn't be single suicide bombers, I'm thinking they can and would put company size forces out. Armed heavily, with explosive experts , snipers, a d would carry out guerilla campaigns across the country. Hitting power plants, bridges, water treatment plants and other important, strategic targets.

It just makes sense and setting up such operations is totally doable. Our enemies have learned from history. They know that hitting us here at home needs to happen. Even smaller scale operations in the platoon/ccompany size range would seriously hamper us in any overseas war effort. It opens up a front we are not prepared to deal with. It would tie up military assets that would otherwise be deployed in whatever region the actual war is. If we are looking at full blown war we would need to be able to field far more assets than we are currently capable of.

Both overseas and right here at home. Truly, the second amendment would come into play. The militia would need to be activated and communities across the country would need to be ready. The major urban centers are screwed. They have disarmed people to the point that the militia organizing is not possible. They would be totally dependent on local, state and federal forces. We have had to use NG to bolster our overseas operations for a long time now, and they would probably not be available to defend in places like NYC and all across CA. Just those latter two are major problems. LE agencies would be helpless to act against such forces as I'm talking about. Without effective militia, it would be a cakewalk for forces such as I'm postulating. CA is completely screwed. They have neutered their militia across the entire state, not just their major metro areas.

The anti 2A crowd would be learning the hard way. Anyway, that's a brief assessment, but I'm short of time right now. Perhaps I an detail more later.
I thought this is a very interesting take And it's unconventional enough to where I really like it,

If you haven't read these before you might appreciate it.

North Korea infiltrated terror squads into the US in the 1990s to attack nuclear power stations | Daily Mail Online

North Korea Had Commando Units On US Soil Trained To Attack Nuclear Power Stations And Terrorize US Cities

Couple sleeper agents attacking soft targets with cyber attacks in infrastructure and that has potential for catastrophic damage if they are clever enough.

Asymmetric warfare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness