Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Youtube is never my "go to" for medical information (or anything scientific)
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 12:37 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Youtube is never my "go to" for medical information (or anything scientific)
Stunning refutation of the heartfelt story - - -
However, it does not obfuscate the facts depicted.
Nor the stunning results of folks who stopped following the "enlightened" academic guidelines for dieting, and lost weight while eating high fat / high calorie diets.

On a personal note, I've lost 100 lbs on this "unscientific" plan that goes against the status quo.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:03 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenNChicks View Post
Laziness and greed. Too many calories for the amount of activity.

As a nurse I think the BMI is generally useful. But even with normal BMIs, my husband and I ate our entire wedding cake ourselves. It took less than a week. Chocolate with cream icing- Yum. That and the three pies...However, for a while after that I ate no carbohydrates, high protien and mostly vegetables. That and the 4 mph two mile walks every day. My husband did not have to do anything, he does not put on weight, that rascal.

Once weight gets out of hand its harder to loose. The fatter you are, the fatter you stay. Its messing with your metabolism. The skinnier you are the skinnier you stay.
I agree.

Last summer I did a 2 mile walk every day as a part of my morning routine. My path now has 4 foot of snow on it, and I strongly dislike snowshoeing, so I am waiting for the snow to disappear before I start my walking again.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:09 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Nor the stunning results of folks who stopped following the "enlightened" academic guidelines for dieting, and lost weight while eating high fat / high calorie diets.

On a personal note, I've lost 100 lbs on this "unscientific" plan that goes against the status quo.

Inducing ketosis works for weight loss. The long term health affects of that diet are more of concern to me. Health is not all weight loss, and food is fuel. I would never eliminate, or even reduce antioxidants, bioflavinoids, and other types micro nutrients. I did it twice, and it sent my autoimmune disorders into overdrive, my RA became so bad I could hardly walk.

Glad it works for you.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-19-2018, 02:28 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

Exactly correct. I always tell people who want to lose weight easily to go completely against the USDA "food plate" or "food pyramid" that tell people to eat 6-10 servings of "grains" a day. What a bunch of nonsense that is. Wheat is a plague for those looking to lose weight is a major cause of the healthcare crisis in the country due to the obesity epidemic. High protein and low carbohydrate is the way to go for the vast majority. I continue to go with a modified paleo and gluten free diet, but I also supplement plenty of vitamins and water to go along with that. Fats are not bad, wheat and the carbohydrates that come from them are what is truly bad.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:43 PM

32,943 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Mostly wheat and wheat alone. Modified paleo diet is great, eat sizable amounts, feel satiated, and no wheat required. Modern wheat is an appetite stimulant and is hugely responsible for The obesity epidemic. Lose the wheat and lose weight easily!!!
I'm blaming high-fructose corn syrup.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The way I look at food is to eat it in its natural state as much as possible. I rarely eat carbs but I do eat a lot of fruit & vegetables. I never touch soda or junk food like potato chips, nachos, stuff like that. If I crave sweets I have one Ghirardelli square. I drink water or my own ice tea with stevia. I try to do some sort of exercise each day, whether it be a long walk or heavy duty gardening.

However if the schitt actually hit the fan I would be one of the first to perish. I was born in NYC, raised in the suburbs and have no clue as to how survive. At 63 years old I know this and have accepted it.
Fruit and vegetables are carbohydrates.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
We have no moderator. I have reported this.twice.
Any moderator can edit this thread.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,491,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I always tell people who want to lose weight easily to go completely against the USDA "food plate" or "food pyramid" that tell people to eat 6-10 servings of "grains" a day. What a bunch of nonsense that is. Wheat is a plague for those looking to lose weight is a major cause of the healthcare crisis in the country due to the obesity epidemic. High protein and low carbohydrate is the way to go for the vast majority.
I agree about the USDA food plate!

Do they have an agenda? Yes, but not as malicious as some would suppose. The USDA is required to put up a diet that the vast majority of Americans can afford. Over half cannot afford the higher protein diet, nor are they the types that would hunt or fish for their food. Largely they are urban dwellers on lower incomes, often elderly, disabled or children, or on public assistance. Sadly, these are the very people who coulkd use the information about protein vs carbohydrates.

For those of you who defend "complex carbohydrates", consider this: ALL carbohydrates become glucose in the digestive process. Glucose stimulates the production of insulin. Insulin gone awry is the cause of blood pressure and cholesterol problems, cardiac and stroke events, diabetes, obesity, and inflammation in the system that leads to arthritis and allergy issues. The lower one can keep their insulin levels, the better the overall health. They can get away with "complex carbohydrates" in youth, but if you are much over 45 to 50, you are at risk of developing degenerative diseases of "civilization" if you continue.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM

423 posts, read 289,230 times
I don't see 6 to 10 servings of carbohydrates on the USDA food plate. Its 1/4 protein, 1/4 cabs and 1/2 fruits and vegetables last time I looked. It says 6 servings of carbs, yet it also says "Half of your plate should be vegetables and fruits. About one-quarter of your plate should be grains and one-quarter protein. Drink fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk and water instead of soda, sports drinks, and other sugary drinks. Avoid oversized portions." My Jersey cow is fixing to calf. She does not produce 1% fat milk I guarantee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness