Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2019, 07:50 PM

508 posts, read 526,822 times

Advertisements

Where can I find storage container with airtight lid?
======================================

Thanks for replies to my threads.

I am trying to get storage container to hold 20-25 Lbs grain with airtight lid. I did try with retail stores, but did not find with air tight lid. I find many totes storage, but the lid are not air tight.

I did try with Restaurant supply store, but no luck there.

Did anyone find such items?

Any idea, where to find them?

Thanks for your guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2019, 08:30 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,680 times
You can purchase food safe buckets, new or used or you can buy food safe mylar bags that seal and put them in plastic 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot. The Mylar bags in regular buckets is my preferred way. The bucket essentially being a way of stacking and carrying.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:36 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Pretty much any container using a gasket and compression snap locking device will work. You don't need to spend a lot as they are becoming more and more the standard container of choice in food prep.

Here's an example of some on the lower end:
Vtopmart Airtight Storage Container Set - extra large

Old 12-13-2019, 12:52 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,302,020 times
Any links or recommendations for airtight containers off amazon? I hate to support rich globalists but the free shipping is very nice! Any reliable ways of storing dry grain without buying a plastic container?

ETA: just saw the the above link is indeed to amazon with a reasonable price and free shipping after I clicked on it.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Pretty much any container using a gasket and compression snap locking device will work. You don't need to spend a lot as they are becoming more and more the standard container of choice in food prep.

Here's an example of some on the lower end:
Vtopmart Airtight Storage Container Set - extra large
Not true...and dangerous advice!

You need to ensure you're using food-safe plastics or leaching of chemicals can occur. HDPE #2 being the most commonly used.

Additionally if the container is airtight you must either use a food-safe desiccant pouch or a air displacing gas before sealing.

Grain bags are actually a pretty decent storage method but do not protect the grain from critters and contamination.

Old 12-13-2019, 06:57 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
I use food grade 5 gallon buckets, and "Gamma Seal" screw on lids for my bulk flour/grain/nut storage containers, available on the internet or here, which is the cheapest place I've found. 50 pounds of flour will fit in 2, 5 gallon buckets.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 12-13-2019, 08:00 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,483,397 times
The absolute best way to store airtight is to use a vacuum sealer. There are many on Amazon that are under $100. These machines strongly vacuum the air out of heavy, food safe plastic bags that are customizable for size. No O2 absorbers needed, no mylar needed.

Once sealed, these bags can be labeled with a sharpie, then placed in any container you wish, whether airtight or not. This system works, and saves a lot of $$$!

Old 12-13-2019, 10:48 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Not true...and dangerous advice!

You need to ensure you're using food-safe plastics or leaching of chemicals can occur. HDPE #2 being the most commonly used.

Additionally if the container is airtight you must either use a food-safe desiccant pouch or a air displacing gas before sealing.

Grain bags are actually a pretty decent storage method but do not protect the grain from critters and contamination.
PP-5 is acceptable for sealed food storage so long as it's not exposed to direct sunlight.

As for the need for air displacement, that all depends on the length of storage the person is planning. There are billions of tons of foods consumed everyday that is perfectly fine that did not have air displacement treatment of any kind that were packaged a year or more ago.

A big concern is that way too may think when using the word "survival" or "Preparedness" in the discussion that it takes on a new and complicated way of doing things. A vacuum packed plastic bag for pennies sure beats spending hundreds on some fancy container sold at Preppers-r-Us. If yoyu look at some of the military emergency shelters, those fancy sealed food containers are actually the exact same thing as the Kibble Vaults sold at pet stores; the exact same thing! Yet when bought from some consumer "survival" store, you pay 4 times the amount just because it's camouflage colored.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:52 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,086,413 times
I would look for small chest freezers that have failed or that people are giving away.

People use those for rodent proof grain storage in barns.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
PP-5 is acceptable for sealed food storage so long as it's not exposed to direct sunlight.

As for the need for air displacement, that all depends on the length of storage the person is planning. There are billions of tons of foods consumed everyday that is perfectly fine that did not have air displacement treatment of any kind that were packaged a year or more ago.

A big concern is that way too may think when using the word "survival" or "Preparedness" in the discussion that it takes on a new and complicated way of doing things. A vacuum packed plastic bag for pennies sure beats spending hundreds on some fancy container sold at Preppers-r-Us. If yoyu look at some of the military emergency shelters, those fancy sealed food containers are actually the exact same thing as the Kibble Vaults sold at pet stores; the exact same thing! Yet when bought from some consumer "survival" store, you pay 4 times the amount just because it's camouflage colored.
If you're using a vacuum sealer or mylar bags, any good bucket will do.

Personally, since I have cats, the square litter buckets are great after washing. It may sound gross, but your stuff is sealed in plastic and just using the bucket for easier stacking, besides they were just holding clay based clean litter in the first place... being square saves space as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness