Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 09:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,875,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Communist Propaganda.
Good Bye.
Plonk
its the opposite of communist propaganda. what is more big government than the military?

what exactly is wrong in my comment? you like to just disregard it without dealing with specifics because you have no ability to do so.

i would love to see you try to explain exactly is communist about what i said. you could be blind to the US actions abroad and deny what i say but i have no idea how one could claim that what i said is communist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 06:26 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,148,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its the opposite of communist propaganda. what is more big government than the military?

what exactly is wrong in my comment? you like to just disregard it without dealing with specifics because you have no ability to do so.

i would love to see you try to explain exactly is communist about what i said. you could be blind to the US actions abroad and deny what i say but i have no idea how one could claim that what i said is communist.
Henry Kissinger "American troops are pawns for foreign policy"

Old 05-20-2020, 01:58 AM

9,168 posts, read 4,831,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Not exactly news. That is taught at the Academy.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
they are pawns of the military industrial complex who bribe politicians to make war for money. there are no good intentions in US foreign policy. its amazing to me when people say stuff like "we shouldnt be the world's police" as if there is a good intention when it comes to the US military. the intention is to do whatever it takes to start a war.

Syria was interesting in that the first attempt by obama to get involved was basically shut down by the American public. the US population is tired of war and many have seen that there are zero positives when the US gets involved in war. so obama backed down from direct action. the new strategy was to arm, train and support terrorist groups like Isil and the Free Syrian Army to fight against Assad's government. the goal wasnt to topple Assad, the goal was to create a situation where the US could get involved. hundreds of thousands of people died in syria because of America's strategy. they knew from the beginning that assad would be victorious but they sacrificed Syria for the military to bring in more cash. fortunately, most American people dont want war and to Trump's credit he doesnt appear to want it either (though he took a big risk by listening to his generals and murdering the iranian general). the biggest threat would be a false flag type attack on an American target.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 05-20-2020 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-20-2020, 10:59 AM

33,045 posts, read 36,658,249 times
James Stewart scene in the movie Shenandoah:

"Lord,
We cleared this land;
We plowed it, sowed it, and harvested it.
We cooked the harvest.
It wouldn't be here—we wouldn't be eating it—if we hadn't done it all ourselves.
We worked dog-bone hard for every crumb and morsel
But we thank you just the same anyway, Lord, for this food we're about to eat.
Amen."

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Shenandoah_(film)

Charlie Anderson (Stewart) didn't expect anyone to feed him or his family.

Old 05-20-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
"Lord,
We cleared this land;
We cooked the harvest.
It wouldn't be here—we wouldn't be eating it—if we hadn't done it all ourselves.
Amen."
Shenandoah is a good movie to teach that, even if you think you aren't interested in the violent politics of the day, they might be interested in you. (The Patriot provides similar lesson.)

Theologically, it is pretty screwed, however, as can be seen here:
"I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase." (1Cor3:6)

James Stewart does have it right, that we are supposed to work, sow, harvest, and cook, and not expect others to do so for us. In fact, if possible, we are to do these things for the benefit of our congregation and other congregations.
1 Thess 4 gives instruction:
9Now concerning brotherly love you have no need for anyone to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another, 10for that indeed is what you are doing to all the brothers throughout Macedonia. But we urge you, brothers, to do this more and more, 11and to aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, 12so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one.

From this (in context), we can see that Paul acknowledges that they have helped others, providing for other congregations across Macedonia, and urges them to do this as much as possible, so that others can see their love for their brethren, and that they are not seeking to sponge off of anyone else.

The word love, in the following text, means to do that which is beneficial,
for the other person. Nothing to do with liking them, or other feelings.
John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Old 05-20-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:

"Lord,
We cleared this land;
We cooked the harvest.
Amen."

it is so weird to read about people speaking about mythology as if it were reality. i think in a couple of generations it will be quite rare.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:43 PM

33,045 posts, read 36,658,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it is so weird to read about people speaking about mythology as if it were reality. i think in a couple of generations it will be quite rare.
I got Christmas gifts and Easter candy out of it, so I'm not complaining.

Old 05-22-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
ill get together for all the fun stuff but its somewhat shocking to hear people say religious stuff. its so crazy, its like we have come so far technology wise and some people are a thousand years behind mentally when it comes to religion.

Old 05-22-2020, 02:07 PM

Quote:
I am guessing CaptNJ got a lump of coal, and is still bitter about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness