Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 03:46 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
History repeats in waves and cycles. Everything repeats in waves and cycles. Spend some time reading and looking at the postings and work of Martin Armstrong www.armstrongeconomics.com Also there is a book called the Fourth Turning - just to name a couple cycle folks.
Yes, things go in cycles, and the cycles appear to be around 2 or 3 years, but some cycles can be fatal, as history shows. (1917 Russia, 1933 Weimar Republic, 1959 China, 1979 Iran. Dates are approximate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
My biggest concern of all this besides the society's future, I also have personal existential angst. I don't want me and the rest of my family and friends to be physically snuffed out and defenseless like the Jews in Nazi Germany. I want to live the rest of my life ahead of me in a real society again and with the people in it having just some moral compass. I want to know that. I'm 28 and when my grandparents and even parents were my same age, it sounded like a relatively much nicer time to exist and function in life.
It is kinda like driving. Yes, there is chaos on the roads, but the only thing you can do is buckle up and control your own car. Drive defensively, even though there are no guarantees.

Quote:
I'm also anxious about the things happening causing the "end times" and this earth to end in my lifetime. And I don't mean or want to attack Christianity, but that's how I feel.
You aren't "attacking" Christianity (others here will do that, though).
The chaos at hand is happening because of mankind rebelling against God,
but that doesn't mean it will happen right now. We may have years ahead
of us. No one knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 04:56 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,702,162 times
Quote:
In my opinion, the 1990s were the last good times to live in America and in general the West. I would love to go back there as an adult that I am right now.
Well, find another Bill Clinton or George Bush 1, and elect him or her. The media will settle down and people will be all fat and happy with their moderate government.

Quote:
I hate the anti-white, anti-male, video game and hobby-hating censorship crap to end. I want us to go out winning at some point.
If the media is making you mad, if twitter is making you feel bad, why not just ignore it? We're still on top.

An Asian mom asked if she could have some sugar packets from the Starbucks inside my local grocery store today. The barista was like "Did you buy a coffee?" and when she said "no" he basically told her to **** off.

I went up later and asked the same thing (didn't buy a coffee) and he was like "sure, brah, take as many as you need."

What you see and read does not necessarily reflect your everyday reality.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:01 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,059,546 times
Quote:
I'm also anxious about the things happening causing the "end times" and this earth to end in my lifetime. And I don't mean or want to attack Christianity, but that's how I feel.
Quote:
In my opinion, the 1990s were the last good times to live in America and in general the West. I would love to go back there as an adult that I am right now.
If you could step back a minute and reflect on the emotions you are expressing. You are fearful and anticipatory of the future while also pining and desirous to live in the past. When I occasionally watch performances from "Woodstock" on Youtube, so many of the comments are from younger people wishing "if only I was alive then", "I would do anything to have experienced the 60's", etc.

I grew up in the 60's and it was not the "nirvana" these people envisioned it to be. There was just as much or more to be fretful of, the politics were just as crazy and exasperating, drugs took the lives of a portion of the Woodstock concert performers and likely a statistically significant portion of the audience. Yes, it was an interesting and exciting time, both good and bad.

The "end time" folks are having a party now. They don't get to have one this big very often so let them have their fun. Just don't go to the party or eat the brownies or drink the Kool Aid they have spiked with fear and dread. But as the announcer at "Woodstock" said after giving the 1969 concert goers the same warning "hey, it's your trip man"...

Try to make the most of the "here and now" and don't take the media and politicians too seriously.

Old 06-12-2020, 07:36 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,906,711 times
"In my opinion, the 1990s were the last good times to live in America and in general the West. I would love to go back there as an adult that I am right now."

Reagan inherited the economic fallout of Nixon abandoning the gold standard. George 1 "Read My Lips" (And Gingrich) tried their best to balance the budget deficits he left, and Clinton rode those coattails while moving the country's finances in the other direction. After Clinton's two terms our economy was finished, though nobody knew it at the time, forever relegated to the realm of fiat money printing that has only been effective due to the dollar being the world's reserve currency. Mind you, I'm not blaming Clinton or any specific President, as we do not (yet) live in a dictatorship, the entire DC cast of elected clowns are responsible for our predicament. But I understand why you look back at the 90's favorably, it was that brief period in between economic epochs where things seemed very stable. The internet was just coming popular half way through the 90's, grunge garage bands were a thing, and we were enjoying a period of post cold-war peace and economic expansion until 9/11 happened. I lived through those times as a young adult and remember them fondly. Globalism had begun (Clinton), but the effects of being strangled by it hadn't yet come to fruition. Nobody talked about global warming, at least not seriously. There were no "forever wars". We were still laughing at the Soviet Union's folly in Afghanistan, with no idea that some day we would repeat it.

Nirvana sang in 1991 how covid would play out now:

"I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now, entertain us"

Old 06-13-2020, 04:18 AM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Wow! I attended high school in the 1980's and at that time George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were still portrayed as heroes. I knew the education system went to hell but I did not think it got that bad. I guess Massachusetts is a metaphorical colony of Beijing now.
Pretty much.

However... I believe there's a silent majority in the country that's getting fed up with the excessive behavior.

We're going to see the pendulum swing back a little in the next few election cycles.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:36 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,057,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"In my opinion, the 1990s were the last good times to live in America

Because it was the last decade we were at least somewhat united culturally, particularly in music.
Then along came 9/11, which truly finished off America in that it destroyed our trust in immigrants.
Having resided in a third world Latin American country, I came to learn how important culture is for our own happiness. The sense of community in common festivals, street food vending, education, family; all of these bring a better sense of well being.

Old 06-13-2020, 02:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
I know this is the SS&P forum, but I think many that post here can relate.

I am part of the younger generational bracket (technically millennial) and many of us are crazy "useful idiot" snowflakes, but a few of us aren't, I'm not. Saying that, I am more and more frustrated by seeing what is happening to America today and the rest of the world that was building up ever since way before I was even born. Our side is beginning to lose again, I am hearing nothing but more bad news and statistics. I am worried about my own personal future too because of this, that I potentially no longer can live the life ahead of me or spend the remainder of it in dark times. I want our side to have dignity. I am tired of the conservatives having none of the cards anymore, honestly I can't stand that we can't have our own organized institutions like the left does. I don't want to forgive and lose gracefully. I hate the anti-white, anti-male, video game and hobby-hating censorship crap to end. I want us to go out winning at some point.

I am a little ranty, but it makes me so stressed and frustrated.
1. Who says you're not a crazy useless idiot?
2. What is "your side?"
3. What life do you picture ahead of you?
4. Conservatives having cards? Which cards?
5. What institutions do you want?
6. No one is anti white, no one is anti male. Huh? You mention video games and hobbies? Who's hating on that?

Are you saying that everything in the country should go back to being about white people only? That all Americans shouldn't be equal and get the same treatment? That symbols, signs, and things that are racist should remain intact?

See #1.

This thread is posted in the Preparedness forum. Are the preppers ready to admit their biases?

Old 06-13-2020, 08:43 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,618,630 times
To the OP; we are under judgement & if you understand this you'll know what I mean. You're a bit too green as a millennial I bet, but ask any older conservative patriot & you'll understand better. It is going to be what it is -- til things resolve & we come out the other side.

Prepping, situational awareness & discernment are THE hallmarks of what you'll need to get thru it all. Also, self-sufficiency & ability to stand w/ other like-minded individuals is paramount to longterm survival during these times ahead. Just all IMHO & FWIW.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:29 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
1. Social media is causing unrest across the world, not just the USA. It has never been easier to quickly gather a group for any intention, good or bad. You can rewatch an angering event over and over rather than just when the news shows it.
1B. COVID-19 means more people out of school and work than usual, more people have time to protest and riot

2. I believe there are legitimate grievances that need to be heard and dealt with. There are also people without legitimate grievances on the political fringe who hijack and protest against mainstream society to achieve their dream of anarchy and the remaking of society. The first group advocates for justice, the second group wants revenge and destruction.
The media does a poor job of distinguishing between the two.

3. As one person with one vote and a bit of disposable income I do not worry about things I can not control. I have almost no control over the future direction of the USA, either to the far left or far right or middle. If there is general unrest in certain areas I stay away. If things in the USA got really bad I can move. Humans have been moving since the beginning of time and this will continue.

4. If current events makes you stressed you should read history and get off social media. The events happening now are not unique to our nation or place in time.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:42 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Well, there are some humorous and somewhat contradictory opinions.

1. It isn't social media causing unrest. And it isn't just that we are watching it over and over, but that it is happening in over 100 cities in the US and around the world.

2. Legitimate grievances have nothing to do with the riots, except as a pretext for igniting them. They are being orchestrated by people with money, power and influence, not being hijacked by fringe groups. Still, they involve a minority of people, in a minority of places are affected, this time. Each time, they get more organized and involve more places. The purpose of the MSM isn't to report on the riots, but to encourage them.

3. We don't worry about things we cannot control, but we do discuss how to stay out of the path of psychopathic mobs and deal with the violence that may come our way. There are four boxes, not just one.

3a. Your comment that if things get bad in the USA, you can move, is self contradictory, since you pointed out that this is also happening in other countries. But if you think there are better places in the world: go.

4. I know history well. As I have pointed out: while the pendulum swings one way and then the other, most of the time, sometimes that swing can be fatal to society. (I gave examples) Other than forums like this one, and specialized ones, I don't do social media, since the Left owns almost all of it. Don't watch much MSM either, for the same reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness