Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2023, 10:57 AM

11,398 posts, read 24,478,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
thats a defeatest attitude, humans have been programmed to herd together, trouble with that is that they will also die together. I have heard a lot of people say " if its going to be that bad I dont want to survive", fine then move over and leave room for those of us who do.
"hiding in a hole" is a figment of the Rambo Movies and is not real life survival.
Nah, not defeatist, just pragmatic. My husband and I have pretty much what anyone needs to survive. We live 80 miles downwind from Atlanta. If it gets nuked, we might be able to temporarily dodge north or south of it till the worst blows over. I’m just not going to stay in the basement indefinitely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 12:19 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
I agree with the 90-120 days minimum, one year should be the thing to aim for.
I also agree about the space and security, but not so much about the community, that may not be possible if the event is great enough and I'm mostly a Societal Collapse prepper, there may not be enough survivors in any given area and we should mostly aim to be self sufficient whether we are 1, 2 or 10. also with no other survivors bartering is a non starter, even if we find others they may not have anything to trade. I'm not happy about strangers in my area and treat all with suspicion no matter who they are.
being self reliant is the only way anyone will survive past the initial event. anything else is just delaying the inevitable.
The 'loner' during 'societal collapse' will most likely be and easy target.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:32 PM

2,723 posts, read 2,227,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Nah, not defeatist, just pragmatic. My husband and I have pretty much what anyone needs to survive. We live 80 miles downwind from Atlanta. If it gets nuked, we might be able to temporarily dodge north or south of it till the worst blows over. I’m just not going to stay in the basement indefinitely.
If the SHTF event is nuclear I rather die immediately. Everyone else will die eventually. Kansas City or Little Rock are the biggest cities close by, but they several hundred miles away.

Old 05-22-2023, 04:01 PM

9,002 posts, read 4,697,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
If the SHTF event is nuclear I rather die immediately. Everyone else will die eventually. Kansas City or Little Rock are the biggest cities close by, but they several hundred miles away.
Kansas City might be a target. Besides being a significant river crossing, I have heard that there is some sort of Command and Control Center there.

Not far from there is Whiteman AFB, which is definitely a target, and will be one of the first places hit, if the balloon goes up, very suddenly. Tinker AFB (OK City) will definitely be a target, again one of the first to be hit.

Little Rock AFB and Bull Shoals Dam may be a third order targets. Maybe.

All of these are 100+ miles from you. (Bull Shoals might be closer.)

You said: "Everyone else will die eventually."
This is true, no matter, whether anyone gets nuked or not.

The objective is to not get to the Pearly Gates before your mansion is finished.
I hear the Temp Quarters in Heaven aren't as good.

Old 05-22-2023, 05:14 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,839,833 times
Your Nuclear Attack Map for 2023

https://www.mirasafety.com/blogs/new...ear-attack-map

Old 05-22-2023, 08:38 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,598,105 times
I believe it was Samuel Goldwyn who, when having a bad day on the set, said: "If I could drop dead right now, I'd be the happiest man alive".

I'm with him.

Old 05-22-2023, 09:52 PM

2,052 posts, read 1,612,376 times

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jlPEBR...lyc3Qgc3RyaWtl

Old 05-23-2023, 12:30 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,612,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The 'loner' during 'societal collapse' will most likely be and easy target.
depends where one is and how many others survive, anyone in a big city is done for.
I dont believe the survival rate will be that high, not over here anyway.
the human race has come too far, once the system on which they rely fails so will they.
only those that can live outside the system will survive.

Last edited by bigpaul; 05-23-2023 at 12:45 AM..

Old 05-23-2023, 12:41 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,612,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
if the event is nuclear no one will survive, no one wins in a nuclear war we all lose.

Old 05-23-2023, 09:55 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,283,200 times
You are correct, bigpaul. Not only would we need to survive the initial attack; we would need to survive the nuclear winter that follows. The last article I read said it would only be a 'little ice age', not a major one. Who cares! Either way, a whole lot of people won't survive!

I sincerely hope that there is a plan in place to shut down the nuclear power plants!

In the '60s, we had MAD (mutual assured destruction). The first one to shoot would trigger a retaliatory response that would ensure no one survived. This strategy only works if sane people are the only ones that can launch a nuclear attack.

https://ncseagrant.ncsu.edu/hookline...ocean%20system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness