Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 01:26 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times

Advertisements

I'm starting to think it would be a good idea to load up on non-perishables. With inflation plus the falling dollar, it makes sense to me. I figure if the SHTF that a person could lose everything overnight. In light of this, I paying off debt out of my retirement funds. My goal is zero debt and this includes my house (which is already paid for).

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing any thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:30 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,078,237 times
It is never a bad idea to have a supply of food on hand. However, a spike in hoarding food will only create a food price increase if there are runs on the markets. Having lived in hurricane ravaged areas, the price of food doubles and triples overnight even with laws prohibiting it.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
It is never a bad idea to have a supply of food on hand. However, a spike in hoarding food will only create a food price increase if there are runs on the markets. Having lived in hurricane ravaged areas, the price of food doubles and triples overnight even with laws prohibiting it.
I kind of doubt people are doing this now. Maybe some survivalists are doing this, but Americans are so asleep right now I don't think it would occur to them.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
I know some people in their 70's that have started stocking up canned foods and water, they feel rough times are coming. I think it's a good idea but I haven't stocked up on anything.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:47 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,038 times
I definately need to do that now. Anyone who lives in Florida knows all too well how they can price gouge during hurricanes; and that's if you can even find food. I have went into Publix many times during hurricane season, only to be greeted by empty shelves! I couldn't imagine an actual food crisis. Scary.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I know some people in their 70's that have started stocking up canned foods and water, they feel rough times are coming. I think it's a good idea but I haven't stocked up on anything.
Yes, I should do water too. If people in their 70s are doing this, I guess they know something, considering they were children during the Great Depression.

Here is an article with 25 reasons why we are headed for a mega-meltdown and why this time is different...

Mega-Meltdown poll: 25 major threats to mull ahead of '08 vote - MarketWatch

Old 07-06-2008, 02:43 PM

345 posts, read 466,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
I definately need to do that now. Anyone who lives in Florida knows all too well how they can price gouge during hurricanes; and that's if you can even find food. I have went into Publix many times during hurricane season, only to be greeted by empty shelves! I couldn't imagine an actual food crisis. Scary.
I was in South Miami when Andrew ripped through. The dark side of the free enterprise system was on full display afterwords for at least a week before the state and fed government got the helping hand thing going. Both sides of Dixie Highway had hawkers of every kind of emergency item and food, water, etc. at jacked up profit margins. As for all the fly-by-night contractors who swooped in to scam the victims, yeah they flourished for a good time too. Thank goodness the government got control of natural disaster assistance by the time Katrina rolled in.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:14 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,039 times
Let me say that it's worth it to invest in a Berkey water purifier.....

Old 07-06-2008, 03:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I imagine the same peole who stocked up for Y2K are.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:38 PM

111 posts, read 332,203 times
Default Always be prepared...

I was in S. Fla for Andrew, and most recently for Katrina and Wilma. Wilma was a surprise. I was without electricity and WATER for 8 days. No power is okay, but no water was difficult. We were prepared compared to our neighbors. Families with young kids had nothing to cook on (we gave them our extra camp stove). One really big disaster could be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Most of America is asleep at the wheel, just coasting from paycheck to paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness